• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: California's Royal/T Maid Café/Art Gallery Closing

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
First, the Royal T cafe was a cool place to eat, drink and look at some cool Japanese-related stuff. I'm sorry it's closing, but I have to point out that one of their problems was that they were often closed for private parties or to set up one of their art exhibitions, and unless you called on the day you were planning to go there to check in advance, you could arrive there and find they were closed to the public.

The Royal T was a great idea, but they didn't make it into a Japanese-culture oriented community gathering place like they could have. That might have saved it (or might not have, who knows). It's too bad LA has lost another place where anime and manga types could feel at home.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I always thought Royal T cafe was a temporary establishment than a permanent one. Maybe I read the article of when it was opening wrong.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh that's too bad, had lunch there once, and it was pretty darn good. The chicken katsu sandwich and the green tea soba noodles with mushrooms were delicious.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Actually gladly surprised that it lasted this long. The Toronto maid cafe closed years ago; it survived this long in this economy. Heck, it's lasted longer than typical Japanese fad restaurants - and those fads were invented there! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1