• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Eureka Seven Ao Sci-Fi TV Sequel's Story Outlined

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Semi excited for this, I loved Eureka Seven , in fact its my 3rd favourite ever. But im curious to see how this can even get close to the success of the first. Its not going to have any of the characters , which makes sense but didn't the story of that world kinda end.

The new Wave stuff i didn't find that great so im cautiosly excited for this. They might as well make a new world imo.

That coupled with the fact that the synopsis so far sounds almost like a carbon copy of Eureka Seven.

I dont know if i want More Eureka without Eureka, Renton and Holland etc etc

Saying that Ao looks a hella lot like Eureka and his mother and father are missing so is that the plot point or one of them at least. Eureka and Renton are his Parents maybe? that might be alright.

Anyway im rambling now.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
judging by her looks, I'm gonna guess right off the bat that Naru is spoiler[Holland and Talho's] daughter. Really depends on the time frame, though. In any case, the entire original team returning is enough to instill confidence in me.

edit actually now that I think about it, she looks like spoiler[Anemone]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
In any case, the entire original team returning is enough to instill confidence in me.

Unfortunately, it's not the entire original team. There is no mention of Dai Sato returning, and he was a major part of Eureka Seven, working on the series composition, as well as the script for several episodes. I'm fairly certain the first series was his brainchild, so him not being involved in the sequel would be somewhat discomforting.

They don't mention anyone involve in script/story in this announcement, though, so maybe Dai Sato is involved they just haven't mentioned it yet? Not sure why they wouldn't if that was the case though.
m0x

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Barring an unexpected delay, at least we don't have to wait too long before this airs. I'm hoping to see references to the old cast. It's been a while.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Huh... just paid a bit more attention to the bits of story info, and I am totally confused. The original Eureka Seven took place spoiler[on an earth so far in the future and so altered by Scub Coral that people didn't even realize it was the same planet. There were also no indication that old earth nations were even remembered at that time.] But the story bits for this new series mention a "Japanese military" transport and the region of Okinawa.

EDIT: spoiler[Though now that I think about it, the original surface of earth was mostly intact underneath a huge layer of Scub Coral, so... still, it seems kind of odd for there to suddenly be a Japanese military.]
Lann

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
No Dai Sato Sad this is not good news
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
or Naoki Sato, the music composer. He knows how to make epic tracks.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
judging by her looks, I'm gonna guess right off the bat that Naru is spoiler[Holland and Talho's] daughter. Really depends on the time frame, though. In any case, the entire original team returning is enough to instill confidence in me.

edit actually now that I think about it, she looks like spoiler[Anemone]

I'm leaning more towards her being Anemone and Dominic's child, though either would be awesome.

The story sounds pretty far-removed from the original series, but that may not necessarily be a bad thing. The teal-haired kid in the promo art is either the aforementioned heroine or the boy Ao. Ultimately their identity leaves me with some interesting theories.

The fact that the original character designer is involved, but at the same time OreImo's character designer is the one more "fully" credited, for lack of a better term, is interesting as well. I like both of their work a lot, so somehow combining the two just makes it better.

EDIT: Okay, I have a new working theory on the direction they show will take, given the outline thus far:

Quote:
The story is set on Okinawa's isolated island of Iwado, which has seen a growing movement advocating a return to an autonomous government. Ao Fukai, a 13-year-old boy with a missing father, lives on the island with an old doctor named Toshio and is about to enter middle school. Ao's mother was taken away a decade ago by unknown individuals. Naru Arata, Ao's 13-year-old childhood friend and the story's heroine, lives with her father, older sister, and grandmother. She has a "Yuta" power awakened within her due to an incident when she was young.

Ao is obviously the child of spoiler[Renton and Eureka], so the reason neither of his parents are flat-out listed as dead is because his "missing father" will reappear at some point, as will his mother, who was either abducted by the series's baddies or had to leave with the remnants of Gekkou States or some similar organization, leaving Ao behind without telling him for his own safety. Ao will likely have to mount a rescue op. to free his mother if the former theory pans out.
The girl, Naru, I'm suspecting more and more is the daughter of spoiler[Anemone and Dominic], however the biggest flaw in that hypothesis is "her grandmother," as there is no obvious figure who could fill that role from the original cast, be Naru whom I suspect or the daughter of spoiler[Holland and Talho].
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Since no one is credited for "series composition", I assume director Tomoki Kyoda himself will supervise the scripts. Given how the movie turned out, that does not bode well, but I'll still watch it and hope for the best.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Unfortunately, it's not the entire original team. There is no mention of Dai Sato returning, and he was a major part of Eureka Seven, working on the series composition, as well as the script for several episodes. I'm fairly certain the first series was his brainchild, so him not being involved in the sequel would be somewhat discomforting.

They don't mention anyone involve in script/story in this announcement, though, so maybe Dai Sato is involved they just haven't mentioned it yet? Not sure why they wouldn't if that was the case though.

Yeah, this is what I'm most worried about as well. This synopsis doesn't sound bad, but I just don't want a repeat of the Eureka Seven movie.

Regardless, I'll definitely watch it if it ever gets licensed over here...which may now be a long shot with BANDAI's downsizing and all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Eureka 7 was a terrible, terrible, terrible, series. As far as this goes, it might be worth watching, so long as the lead isn't completely unlikable.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Freakmasta wrote:
or Naoki Sato, the music composer. He knows how to make epic tracks.

Loved the music for the first show and Naoki Sato's work (the Sword of the Stranger soundtrack was also stunning, plus the Heroic Age ost and more) so hopefully since they haven't revealed the composer yet it'll still happen and they're just waiting but if they don't the replacement certainly has their work cut out for them. At least it seems possible since Sato's still active having just done Blood-C.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
So....... Eureka Seven Ao is to Eureka Seven as Last Exile: Fam is to Last Exile..............?
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
I saw this and went "!?!?!??!?!?!?."

As much as I wanted a bit more elaboration on the ending, I don't think there can be a true sequel to E7...

As long as it takes place in the right universe, unlike the sh*tty movie.

spoiler[It's a sequel and not a redo of some sort, then I think it would have to take place at least 20-30 years after E7, given how long it would take for people to repopulate the Earth, build schools and infrastructure, and have the geopolitical situation advance that far.

And did the outer layer of Scan Coral eventually fall away, leaving the Earth fully exposed again, or did it stay? It seems like it would make life on the near Earth very...strange...]

My hopes aren't too high, since every non-TV thing related to E7 has been a disappointment in my view.

Last edited by Banken on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm willing to give the sequel a chance, though the original series didn't quite live up to my expectations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2