• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Former Madhouse Head: Poppy Hill May Not Have Recouped Costs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
mgosdin wrote:
I think we need to remember the context of this quote.

If Masuda was speaking in terms of the movie needing to recoup costs based on it's Japanese theatrical release only, then if the costs were above normal he may very well be right.

You may want to reread the thread yourself, it was already noted what he said and roundly dismissed as bunk. It was announced that it had earned $53 million after 2 months and was set to continue playing in 300 theatres after that. Are you seriously going to say with a straight face that production costs were in the 100's of millions? It sounds much more like sour grapes and idle speculation from some has-been.

Yes the film was successful at the Box Office, no question.

How much of that money made it's way back to the studio and into the hands of Ghibli's accounting minions, so it could offset the unknown production costs, well that's another thing.

Sure it could all be sour grapes, or pickled plums in this case, but it is maybe worthwhile to give some thought to how tricky it is for anyone in the US or Japan to make a living producing quality entertainment. Oh, and how lucky we are that people are willing to try.

Mark Gosdin
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
clipeuh wrote:
How could they have lost money on something so popular?

If I were to guess, it would be due to the way distributors account for "loss". A very recognized example of this is in budget for advertising the movie, when the costs somehow explode beyond the movie's production cost.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
First, we don't know what the budget of the film was. All we know is that Ghibli's animated films are generally not cheap to make.

Hear! Hear! AFAIK Ghibli Studios is the only only one that still does animation without using computers AND they do not outsoruce to korea or china, so you can't compare their production costs with those of modern studios.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If I were to guess, it would be due to the way distributors account for "loss". A very recognized example of this is in budget for advertising the movie, when the costs somehow explode beyond the movie's production cost.

From Masuda's quote:
"there is a possibility that its 2011 film From Up On Poppy Hill may not have recouped its production costs."

Bottom line: if a studio can't make back their costs when they are the TOP grossing film domestically (in 2011, it was the #4 overall movie in Japan, #1-3 were all Hollywood films) then frankly, they shouldn't make movies FOR Japan anymore. And I don't say that because I want that to happen, I say that because I can't believe it is the case.

edit:
mangamuscle wrote:
Blood- wrote:
First, we don't know what the budget of the film was. All we know is that Ghibli's animated films are generally not cheap to make.

Hear! Hear! AFAIK Ghibli Studios is the only only one that still does animation without using computers AND they do not outsoruce to korea or china, so you can't compare their production costs with those of modern studios.

According to Variety: http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=review&reviewid=VE1117917040&categoryid=31&cs=1
"Spirited Away" had $19mil in "production costs", Granted, that was 10 years prior and inflation is a factor since then; HOWEVER, "Spirited Away" was also directed by the elder Miyazaki, so I'd call inflation a wash unless they allowed Goro more free reign than his father. Let's call it production cost of $20mil. (it's also worth noting that "Spirited Away" had a 125 min run time, "From Up on Poppy Hill" only ran for 91 min, ie. over 30mins LESS of animation) So we're supposed to accept that gross proceeds didn't meet cost when cost was less than 40% of gross? That's pretty bad planning then.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, most high-cost flops spend a lot(most?) of their money on things that never make it into the final cut(ie, retakes, complete overhauls and the others costs of living in development hell), so it could be there's some extraordinary cost he knows of.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Someone has already quoted the production costs for Spirited Away. I would very much doubt that Goro would be permitted to spend more than that given how badly his last project flopped. Even if he were, I simply cannot conceive that their production costs would be over 50 million or even 30 million. And as was pointed out, the statement was on production costs alone, not other costs. As for the no computers, that's a common misconception. The last Ghibli film not to use computer animation was Princess Mononoke.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
The last Ghibli film not to use computer animation was Princess Mononoke.

Actually Princess Mononoke has some pretty noticeable -but not distracting- shots with CGI backgrounds. I don't remember any noticeable CGI shots from Ponyo or Arrietty.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
The last Ghibli film not to use computer animation was Princess Mononoke.

Actually Princess Mononoke has some pretty noticeable -but not distracting- shots with CGI backgrounds. I don't remember any noticeable CGI shots from Ponyo or Arrietty.

Well I recall this question raised in some answerman column, and as far as I can recall this was the answer to it. At the very least, everything is drawn and inked digitally.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Well I recall this question raised in some answerman column, and as far as I can recall this was the answer to it. At the very least, everything is drawn and inked digitally.

From what I remember, the un-finished animation is still drawn on paper before scanning in most anime movies. Disney has used computers for coloring at least since Rescuers Down Under, but that's not the same as CGI.
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
A pedantic point re an earlier post; Tales from Earthsea was critically panned, but it didn't 'flop.' According to Box Office Mojo, it earned nearly $70 million.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
To date, Steamboy and Princess Mononoke seems to still be the most expensive anime movies ever made, both at around $20 million in U.S. dollars. Unless Ghibli has gone over that and not telling (considering the lack of spectacle and effects in Poppy Hill, I doubt it), then by making around $53 million, it should have more than made up for the budget. I'd peg most Ghibli films to be around $10-15 million in budget.
Banden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
"Spirited Away" had $19mil in "production costs", Granted, that was 10 years prior and inflation is a factor since then; HOWEVER, "Spirited Away" was also directed by the elder Miyazaki, so I'd call inflation a wash unless they allowed Goro more free reign than his father. Let's call it production cost of $20mil. (it's also worth noting that "Spirited Away" had a 125 min run time, "From Up on Poppy Hill" only ran for 91 min, ie. over 30mins LESS of animation) So we're supposed to accept that gross proceeds didn't meet cost when cost was less than 40% of gross? That's pretty bad planning then.

bravetailor wrote:
To date, Steamboy and Princess Mononoke seems to still be the most expensive anime movies ever made, both at around $20 million in U.S. dollars. Unless Ghibli has gone over that and not telling (considering the lack of spectacle and effects in Poppy Hill, I doubt it), then by making around $53 million, it should have more than made up for the budget. I'd peg most Ghibli films to be around $10-15 million in budget.

What's up with all the low-ball guessing at Ghibli budgets? You guys know this information for all their recent films is documented on Wikipedia right? At $19 million, Spirited Away appears to be cheapest Studio Ghibli release of the last 15 years or so:

Code:
#    Film    Budget (in USD$)    Gross (in USD$)
4    Kiki's Delivery Service    $6.9 million    $18,172,849
10    Princess Mononoke    $23.5 million    $159,375,308
12    Spirited Away    $19 million    $274,925,095
14    Howl's Moving Castle    $24 million    $231,711,096
15    Tales from Earthsea    $22 million    $68,673,565
16    Ponyo    $34 million    $201,750,937
17    The Secret World of Arrietty    $23 million    $126,368,084

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghibli#Feature_films
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I stand corrected.

There's no way Poppy Hill is more expensive to make than Howl's or Earthsea though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Heero:
Quote:
Bottom line: if a studio can't make back their costs when they are the TOP grossing film domestically (in 2011, it was the #4 overall movie in Japan, #1-3 were all Hollywood films) then frankly, they shouldn't make movies FOR Japan anymore.

Well, they were gonna close up shop after Arrietty...I'd be ok with that, TBH. They got nothing left to prove at this point. Though it would be nice for them to stop taking away creative control of projects from Takahata, and let him do one more movie already.

Quote:
So we're supposed to accept that gross proceeds didn't meet cost when cost was less than 40% of gross?

You have to take into account prints and advertising. Budget is only part of the equation.

andyos:
Quote:
A pedantic point re an earlier post; Tales from Earthsea was critically panned, but it didn't 'flop.' According to Box Office Mojo, it earned nearly $70 million.

But that just was because of the Miyazaki name. Goro didn't exactly save them the second time around, though. Of course, the costs for Earthsea might be higher than the usual Ghibli film, because they had to pay royalties to LeGuin.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
Wonder how much of the $50+ million gross that Ghibli gets to take home..................
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3