• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Saber Teeth

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Quick question for those who watched this Tales OVA that also watched the Tales of Symphonia OVA. If I enjoyed that OVA am I likely to enjoy this one? I played that game and while I did find it rushed through events (similar to the comments made here), I couldn't help but like the animation of the events, the music, and what content was there in terms of the plot.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I love Saber Rider, and I do still, its better than most of what passes for action cartoons in this day and age, the 80's and 90's sure were a paradise for those programs (G.I. Joe, TransFormers, Mighty Orbots, M.A.S.K., Spiral Zone, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors among others)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
When you say all of He-man, does that include the Dolph Lundgren film and that crappy early 90s cartoon remake?

Of course not. The cartoon remake was a travesty. And sadly, I don't have the movie, although I remember my dad borrowing a VCR from a friend just so we could record it off the TV. Delightfully awful.

Zin5ki wrote:
New socks? Do tell!

Sadly, you may be the only person interested in my new socks. My mom got them for me for Christmas as a joke, as they have obnoxious bells on them. The joke was on her, because she had to listen to them jangling all day.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Everyone on here is saying that the ending sucks, but I'm going to trust what Key said in a different thread that it actually has a decent ending.

You shouldn't. Better expect the worst, so you won't be disappointed - and then it might actually turn out better than expected Wink

I'm impatiently waiting for Moribito on shelf life (or did I miss it?)
Soul Tsukino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Of course not. The cartoon remake was a travesty. And sadly, I don't have the movie, although I remember my dad borrowing a VCR from a friend just so we could record it off the TV. Delightfully awful.

As a major He man fan growing up the '89 figures were a massive let down. Truly aweful storyline and the figures were terrible and didn't hold up very well.

As for the He man movie. I saw it in the theatre!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Saber Riders sounds like it could have some great drinking games made out of it Wink .

Absolutely ... kinda makes me sad that series looked to be the most interesting title reviewed this week.

So: better (bad,) worse (bad,) or worse (hillarious) than something like Shinesman?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Actually guys,

I thought the 2002 He-Man (remake) series was the best of the whole lot.

The animation was better, the character designs were updated but still seemed familiar, and the voice acting and dialogue wasn't anywhere near as campy as the original 1980s series. Funny thing is that the voice actor behind Max Sterling (Cam Clarke aka Jimmy Flinders) was the voice of Prince Adam/He-Man in the remake!

Now, I haven't watched an episode of the 1990s sequel series to the original, but I've never heard a kind word about it from anyone who has seen that show. However, from the few stills and character model sheets I've seen, it definitely looked mediocre!

I don't have all of He-Man and don't really want all of it, but I made it a special point to get the 2002 show on DVD as soon as it was released and on shelves at Best Buy. Too bad that show was among the swan song's for BCI Eclipse. That whole division of Navarre was shut down recently.

As for classics, when is any R1 company going to license the unedited Windaria WITH the original Japanese dialogue? I've been waiting nearly 20 years for that.
skyechan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Quick question for those who watched this Tales OVA that also watched the Tales of Symphonia OVA. If I enjoyed that OVA am I likely to enjoy this one? I played that game and while I did find it rushed through events (similar to the comments made here), I couldn't help but like the animation of the events, the music, and what content was there in terms of the plot.

Hmm...Tales of Phantasia OVA really only makes sense if you played through the game. I have, hence it's in my anime collection. The OVA starts off a good chunk into the game. The Tales of Symphonia video game I never finished, but I did manage to play the game up to where the OVA ended off. Overall, I think Symphonia managed to make the OVA setup work a little better. In short, animation is pretty on both, but your only true hope of understanding what's going on is if you played the original Tales of Phantasia. (Heck, they threw in an extra character from the Playstation release that WASN'T in the original game. The ninja girl.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote
Saber Riders sounds glorious. It's going on my list.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Happy new year Bamboo, I look forward to reading your column this year. I might rent Tales of Phantasia just to see if I might enjoy it, but a girl taling to a tree is a little much.

I hadn't even noticed FUNimation even rescued Tales of Phantasia. And here I was having seen rips of the whole series on a site that shall remain nameless to preview it (In case it didn't get picked back up).

I don't see why it had to get such a harsh review, though (I've never played the original video game so I wouldn't know how that is). It's an ADAPTATION, not an imitation. Do you REALLY want to watch the same story you've already played before?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Happy new year Bamboo, I look forward to reading your column this year. I might rent Tales of Phantasia just to see if I might enjoy it, but a girl taling to a tree is a little much.

I hadn't even noticed FUNimation even rescued Tales of Phantasia. And here I was having seen rips of the whole series on a site that shall remain nameless to preview it (In case it didn't get picked back up).

I don't see why it had to get such a harsh review, though (I've never played the original video game so I wouldn't know how that is). It's an ADAPTATION, not an imitation. Do you REALLY want to watch the same story you've already played before?

Did you read the review..? The problem with the show is that it's too much crammed into 4 episodes, so it's rushed and barely makes sense, and the characters aren't developed at all. I've never played the entire game, and I don't consider myself a fan. However, I do want to be entertained while I'm watching anime, and ToP missed the mark--adaptation or not.
Rebot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
Claymore had a good ending, with a nice epic battle as expected from an action anime.
the thing is it was a non-ending, nothing is solved and it really seems like they had a second season in mind
Masura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
r3bornaraku wrote:
That person has a few bootlegs in their collection. I see three One Piece bootleg dvd sets and I can't tell what the fourth one is.

Yeah sorry about that Anime smallmouth; Those One Piece were bought at the time FUNimation did not have the rights to One Piece, and were the things that got me into onepiece, dont worry they will be disposed of when the offificals come out
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Actually guys,

I thought the 2002 He-Man (remake) series was the best of the whole lot.

The animation was better, the character designs were updated but still seemed familiar, and the voice acting and dialogue wasn't anywhere near as campy as the original 1980s series. Funny thing is that the voice actor behind Max Sterling (Cam Clarke aka Jimmy Flinders) was the voice of Prince Adam/He-Man in the remake!

Oh yeah, the 2002 series was awesome, too bad CN killed it...

Quote:
Now, I haven't watched an episode of the 1990s sequel series to the original, but I've never heard a kind word about it from anyone who has seen that show. However, from the few stills and character model sheets I've seen, it definitely looked mediocre!

The New Adventures of He-Man was a decent Sci-Fi series and was a little more action oriented than the original but mediocre animation, straying too much from the original work and wonky characters and storylines crippled it in my opinion.

Quote:
I don't have all of He-Man and don't really want all of it, but I made it a special point to get the 2002 show on DVD as soon as it was released and on shelves at Best Buy. Too bad that show was among the swan song's for BCI Eclipse. That whole division of Navarre was shut down recently.

people interested might what to pick the 2002 series set from yor local Best Buy store. Because of BCI's demise I had to rush picking up the She Ra sets and have to check for BraveStarr and the rest of the stuff I'm interested.

Quote:
As for classics, when is any R1 company going to license the unedited Windaria WITH the original Japanese dialogue? I've been waiting nearly 20 years for that.

I would like to watch the original Windaria.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
That shelf makes me happy to know that I'm not the only person that owns a copy of Mad Maestro.

I rather enjoyed Mad Maestro too. (Actually, I think have all of the Fresh Label games- at least I've never seen any other than the three I own.)

Space-saving tip: I collect this instead of real ramune bottles. They put out seasonal flavors, so you can get lots of colors. No marble, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3