• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Devil May Cry DVD 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm sensing someone was angry when reviewing this, geez.

The last two episodes were horrible, and really didn't compliment the series. I thought all the episodes in the series were fine and went with the idea of the video games, except for the last episodes. I agree that negativity should be used there. The music in the series was awesome, I don't agree with the reviewer there.

C is a good score for this. Besides, I wasn't expecting something of glory but I still had a kick ass time watching the series. Cool
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
C seems a bit high for this turd of a series. It's just bad. Maybe if you took every fight scene in the series, spliced them together to make a ~20 minute OVA and upped the budget a bit, it would work. Maybe. As it is, it just wasn't worth watching.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote
yea right.Unless you have played all three games,then it won't be fun to most people. However i have and i liked every minute of this series.It's really fun to watch and the hardcore violence not to mention, the way he's bad with women is something to behold. I definately disagree with this rewiew.Sure i can admit it ain't perfect,and the casting leaves something to be desired,but i recomend it to any fan of the game and to all the action buffs out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uthred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:05 am Reply with quote
This series is clearly a "for the fans" affair, which means that a lot of the problems the reviewer had with it e.g. stereotypes, cliche's etc will be quite palatable to the viewers as its these elements that make the games the over the top fun they are. I found the series to be an enjoyable diversion, its not going to change my life but it makes for good entertainment - which is its goal.

Oh and the series isnt entirely episodic, as the plot grows lots of the elements from earlier episodes are tied into an overall whole.

I also thought the tone of the reveiw was un-necessarily aggressive.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Unless you have played all three games,then it won't be fun to most people
Even if you have played all 4 games, this is still a badly made series. The pacing is poor, the characters are flat (what happened to Dante quipping one-liners in the middle of fight scenes?), and the fight scenes themselves - what should be highlight of any Devil May Cry tie-in - are few and far between, and average at best.
Quote:
This series is clearly a "for the fans" affair, which means that a lot of the problems the reviewer had with it e.g. stereotypes, cliche's etc will be quite palatable to the viewers as its these elements that make the games the over the top fun they are
If anything, it's missing all the cliches that made the games fun. The series went the SERIOUS BUSINESS route and suffered for it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
I'm ok with the anime, if I accept it as a b-series not aspiring to anything major. If you expect a balls-to-the-wall action show, yeah, I could see how you'd be disappointed.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
I'd give the art higher than a B+ (it was pretty slick), but the story lower than Mr. Kliminger gave it, on the grounds that there wasn't a dang plot to it. At all. And the gambling episode... blech. It was all style and no substance. Fun to watch once over, perhaps, but there was sort of no point to it all.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
A 'C' is too gratifying for this in my opinion, but then, that's probably my inner fan talking. Loved the games (except that POS #2 that would rather torment me than be purged from my mind), and I was expecting great things from it. Instead, I got something that looked pretty but had no substance. Flat characters, uninspiring music, short, banal action scenes, etc. Might as well have watched grass grow for all this was worth, and there's snow on the ground.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
Instead, I got something that looked pretty but had no substance. Flat characters, uninspiring music, short, banal action scenes, etc. Might as well have watched grass grow for all this was worth, and there's snow on the ground.

I haven't seen the anime, but you're describing the games very accurately for me. Twisted Evil
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I actually like it, especially because Dante is a mix of DMC and DMC2 Dante, without the annoying cockiness of DMC3 Dante. It's nothing big, but cliches aren't bad automatically, as the reviewer seems to imply.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Did the series even NEED a quick cash-in anime to promote it? DMC sells like hot cakes and its fanbase will gobble the games up anyway, so this really wasn't that great.

It still stands, I believe, that the best animated adaptation of a Capcom franchise was the Street Fighter II movie (and let's forget that they ever made that crappy Street Fighter II V show. God that was a load of sludge).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
The review was probably fair from a strictly critical standpoint, but I still think fans of the games will find this series very enjoyable. It's why I bought all three volumes awhile ago. The music would be my only objection, I thought it was pretty good, especially the opening that really felt like it was from one of the games. The art was pretty good too, if you ask me. I screened volume one for a club meeting, and one member actually commented something along the lines of, "I see where Madhouse's budget went."

The thing that probably annoyed me the most was the fact that Dante has practically no trouble dealing with the demons in the series. In the games they can take and dish out a massive beating, and yet in the series they take a couple of hits and are done.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Unit: SF: Alpha wasn't bad.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The thing that probably annoyed me the most was the fact that Dante has practically no trouble dealing with the demons in the series. In the games they can take and dish out a massive beating, and yet in the series they take a couple of hits and are done.

Meh, it's the same in the games' cutscenes too. Remember the opening cutscene for DMC3?
OnkelDittmeyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Meh, it's the same in the games' cutscenes too. Remember the opening cutscene for DMC3?

at least its better than 2hours of internal monolgues... ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2