• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sharing anime with your family?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Dads seem to be impossible here. Mine's no different. I'm pretty much alone in my family when it comes to anime. My brother enjoys it on the same level as say, Roger Ebert.

Like many parents in this thread, mine are of the generation that still carries that mental wall telling them anything animated is automatically for children and only children. I can't even get my parents to watch Pixar movies as both my brother (the designated movie critic of the familly) and I constantly profess their watchability.

My mom is at least aware of anime on a basic level. She's knows it's Japanese, knows I watch it, and is okay with that. My dad however isn't even aware of the word "anime" and still wonders why I watch cartoons. He walked in on me watching Berserk once and asked why I was watching a kid's cartoon.

Theoretically anime is diverse enough to suite anyone's taste. Even some people who hate most anime admit that, but then there's that old person mental wall again.

My dad's into literally anything with lots of action. He's retired army so I'd imagine a good military-themed anime would suite him but it would have to be something that isn't filled with mechs. Ghost in the Shell theoretically might work since it's vaguely military-themed and is a spy story in a lot of ways. The very fact that it's animated though would probably turn him away.

I had my dad watch the Kill Bill movies (right up his alley) and before putting in Volume 2 he asked me if that had an anime sequence in it. I said "no" and he said "good."

My brother (who is 30) on the other hand is about as accepting of anime as anyone on this board but still doesn't delve very deeply into it, only caring for mainstream movie releases.

He randomly rented the Akira DVD when it came out in 2001 and called me up about how badass it was. He's getting the Blu-Ray. Since then he's only paid attention to action movies mainstream enough to get a commercial. Stuff like Appleseed, the Animatrix, Afro Samurai, etc.

The rest of my extended family is no better than my parents.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
Dads seem to be impossible here. Mine's no different. I'm pretty much alone in my family when it comes to anime. My brother enjoys it on the same level as say, Roger Ebert.

Like many parents in this thread, mine are of the generation that still carries that mental wall telling them anything animated is automatically for children and only children. I can't even get my parents to watch Pixar movies as both my brother (the designated movie critic of the familly) and I constantly profess their watchability.

My mom is at least aware of anime on a basic level. She's knows it's Japanese, knows I watch it, and is okay with that. My dad however isn't even aware of the word "anime" and still wonders why I watch cartoons. He walked in on me watching Berserk once and asked why I was watching a kid's cartoon.

Yeah, I've realized that it seems that it's usually the fathers that are most resistant to the idea of anime. I wounder why this is? My father's the same way, he calls anime "japanese cartoons", and he thinks that they're all like Pokemon. It can be troublesome and a bit awkward when I mention anime around him. I think I'm slowly starting to spark his interest in anime. He knows that I have a pretty good taste in movies and he hears me praising random anime and manga all the time. I think I might be able to get him to watch Cowboy Bebop: The Movie.

Also, If you're father wants something military related then he might enjoy Flag. It does have a little mecha, but it's not really to focused on it (although I'm not to far into it yet). But it's very interesting non the less.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Why are my parents so atypical when it comes to anime? They're in their sixties so they're clearly of the "animation is for kids" generation. Still, neither of them has ever shown a strong dislike for it.

I mean, my mom bought the Shuffle art box for me and was vocally disappointed there weren't more episodes of Ghost Hunt when I showed them that series. My dad seemed a bit disappointed too though he's hard to read sometimes. (He didn't complain about watching it and one time he wanted to turn off the news to watch it sooner and he loves watching the news.)

Maybe it's because they already have quirky senses of humor?
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
They're in their sixties so they're clearly of the "animation is for kids" generation.
Nope. Sorry, age has nothing to do with it. You're not the first one here to say that and I don't know where it came from but I have run into plenty of people younger than I who refuse to watch "cartoons" because they're "kid stuff". As a matter of fact, I'd say that it's young adults who are most likely to say it. It's like the kid who hates to be called a kid. They've just recently "grown out of it" and need to make sure that you know that.
Jinxso

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
GrinfilledCelt wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
They're in their sixties so they're clearly of the "animation is for kids" generation.
Nope. Sorry, age has nothing to do with it. You're not the first one here to say that and I don't know where it came from but I have run into plenty of people younger than I who refuse to watch "cartoons" because they're "kid stuff". As a matter of fact, I'd say that it's young adults who are most likely to say it. It's like the kid who hates to be called a kid. They've just recently "grown out of it" and need to make sure that you know that.

Just because young adults will say this does not negate what Richard J said.

Older adults and elderly tend to get set in their ways. When you have been thinking and behaving a certain way for 30+ years people tend to find it hard to think outside the box. I am just not talking about anime but many different habits.

My sixty year old father was willing to sit down and try to keep a open mind when I happened to be watching a series (Tokko? whatever it was) and his initial reaction I thought was positive. Turns out he couldn't get past it was a "cartoon" and said he just cannot understand this media. I would have had a stronger reaction if I showed say my 84 year old grandmother.

Early exposure to something can and will allow the person to open his mind to new possibilities but it gets harder and harder as you get older, I think this applies to the majority and not the minority.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Jinxso wrote:

My sixty year old father was willing to sit down and try to keep a open mind when I happened to be watching a series (Tokko? whatever it was) and his initial reaction I thought was positive. Turns out he couldn't get past it was a "cartoon" and said he just cannot understand this media. I would have had a stronger reaction if I showed say my 84 year old grandmother.

No offense, but that could have been because you were (maybe) showing him Tokko, which I frankly couldn't understand even as an anime fan. Razz
Jinxso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Jinxso wrote:

No offense, but that could have been because you were (maybe) showing him Tokko, which I frankly couldn't understand even as an anime fan. Razz

Lol you may have a point there. Although Tokko wasn't THAT hard to follow, just very short. The story didn't get flushed out enough.
FictionsMosaic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
In my immediate family, I found it easy to share with others. Probably the easiest with my dad. He's very open minded when it comes to things. So on my part, all I had to do was ask if he wants to watch some anime. Some nights we'll only end up watching 4 episodes in a sitting and other times we'll watch an entire 26 episode series in a sitting.

My mom was harder to get to watch anime. Only a few times was I able to get her to watch any, but what I did get her to watch were some of the Ghibli movies.

Brother, I don't really talk much with him, so we don't watch much anime together. Rarely we do though.

Outside of immediate family is kind of hard. I'm a writer, so I spend most of my time indoors and away from people. Second part is I live 350 miles away from any kind of immediate family. Haven't spoken to any of the relatives about anime much, only visit them once or twice a year.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
FictionsMosaic wrote:
My mom was harder to get to watch anime. Only a few times was I able to get her to watch any, but what I did get her to watch were some of the Ghibli movies.

I think that most Ghibli movies would be very effective for getting a family member to watch anime. Allot of there stuff is approachable for most people and really well done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to mention the one time in a christmas package from my grandma she put in an article about "Anime Girls" it was talking about I guess how anime figures are like the next barbie girl or something.

Good lord I was shocked o___o
lisamarie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
Some of my family has shocked me when it comes to anime.

Several years ago when I came home for a holiday break from college I had got up to watch DBZ at about 6am and my brother did the same thing. That was a nice surprise, until then we had no idea that each of us liked anime.

My dad has gotten anime network vod for me even though I visit him only every other week (he probably got it so I would visit more). He does like more of what I call manly fighting anime. If any of your dads like the Highlander shows they will probably like the Highlander anime and Fist of the North Star like my dad, I had to force myself to watch the Highlander one. When I play other types he usually complains by telling me that he watched this or that with my brother.

My 70 year old grandma has shocked me the most. When I went to visit her I started to watch Vandread while she was doing other things, she sat down to rest and ended up loving it, she liked the female pirates. The last time I was there we watched a couple Mahoromatic episodes on the free section of vod and she laughed her butt off. When she went to visit my dad she was upset they weren't available on the anime vod.
Jackee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
ummm my mum likes anime but not that much, she's seen the entire series of Inuyasha and Fate Stay Night and my friends are like "wow your mum is cool" and my sister has seen the entire series of DBZ, but thats about it really. i always put anime on and my mum would occassionally watch it with me.
Pumpernikkeli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
My parents have always had this "Dude, aren't you bit too old for that?" attitude. It's basicly useless to try to change their opinion. Maybe, just maybe, if something like death note started airing here i could see some change (they love all that mysterious murder/detective stuff)

But, but! At least i surprised dad from watching FMA from TV one day. That's about all he's watched though... *sigh*
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Anybody see that episode of Robot Chicken where that girl's dad finds her watching Inuyasha and get's way more into it than she is?
tornin2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Ah! so sad, my mom and dad HATE any kind of manga, or anime. They say its a wast of time and that i should not read or watch any of it...its a little depressing....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8