• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What habits have you picked up from manga?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coykiesaol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote
After reading addicted to curry i started chewing on cinnamon sticks like the main character kinda tasty and stops me from biting my nails so much
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quote
Well, I have a habit of reading normal comics backwards now, and have to adjust.
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
It is strange going back to reading normal comics right after reading a manga. Laughing
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
archaron wrote:
It is strange going back to reading normal comics right after reading a manga. Laughing

Certainly is, I pick up any book like a manga now, even if it's not a comic.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I adjust fifteen minuten or so(you know, push them back up) and a lot of people think I got that from manga/anime/games. I didn't. It's just that I've never found a pair of glasses that fit just right. Plus, I like to annoy people.
chachaboru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote
i read normal comics from the right to the left
i open the book at the back!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only person who's had the experience of flipping a Western-order book open to the back page! Embarassed

What can get even crazier is if, by accident, you start reading the panels in Japanese order within the book. I've had that happen, especially on pages that are evenly-divided into panels in 3 X 3 or 4 x 4 grids. I catch myself getting confused and then have to start over on the page.
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading Gunsmith Cats volume 4 of the re-released version last year and it had Misty’s Run in the original flopped style. It took me a while to figure out that I needed to switch things around because the first 3 quarters of the manga is un-flipped and last 25% is flipped. Regardless to say I won't forget reading that manga anytime soon. Laughing (For anyone that is curious Gunsmith Cats is a great series that everyone should check out.)
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I do not have the flipping problem, as long as what I'm reading is an American comic. If it's a manhwa, then I would somethings read it backwards before I realize my mistake. Very Happy Luckily, I don't read manhwa very much.

And this is kind of random, but certainly on topic: thanks to xxxholic (it was vol. 6,7, or 8), I no longer clip my nails at night. The chapter wasn't even particularly scary, but somehow it left enough impact on me that I always wait until morning...

Ah well, better safe than sorry, I guess.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I actually had the strange habit of reading books from the back before I read manga. The habit actually became usefull once I started reading manga where I actually went to the first page instead of reading the book from the back. At times I have had to remind myself to switch to reading from left to right aswell though.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Technically, they exist in other comics too, but japanese comics actually has a name for them- Manpu!
http://www.jmode.com/madeinjapan/madein4-2.html Basically, different visual cues/effects used in comics. I use them a lot in comics I draw, because they're often fun to draw.
Manpu is the habit I have picked up from manga!

YAY MANPU!
chachaboru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:13 am Reply with quote
i read normal comics like manga....
charmander_the_rocker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote
I think it's just me, I don't know if anyone feels the same, I gon't even know if it's really considered a habit, but thanks to reading the Pokemon adventures manga (which, by the way, is so much better than the anime) I have a strange desire to become the best Pokemon trainer in the world, and go and sing the Pokemon theme song and annoy people:D
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well, I have a habit of reading normal comics backwards now, and have to adjust.

This, reading normal comics just feels wrong now

other than that I've not really picked up any habbits but i take in so many anime and manga id be a total head case if i started to mimic character traits.
Echø

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I suppose I've subconsciously grabbed a few traits from some of the characters I read/watch about. My favorites at least, almost like Role Models. At least, certain aspects of their personality, which can be sort of stirring, and can lead you to see why that may be a strong characteristic to have. Here's some examples:

Shikamaru(NARUTO): He's such a lackadaisical character, he seemingly has no needs or wants yet finds ways to complain about everything. 'what a drag' However I look at him and see the way he tackles situations. He's quiet and laid back.. And how he can keep to himself and just be lost in a labyrinth of his own thoughts. He's extremely intelligent and tries to stay level-headed as best he can, and when his mentor dies, he has a time for sorrow, but then uses it as a hurdle and overcomes it.

Ginko(Mushi-Shi): Ginko, like Shikamaru, is a very laid back character. However he also tackles situations practically and level-headed in the same manner. What separates him from Shikamaru is his lifelong trait of not allowing the problems of the world interfere with him on a dramatic level. he just goes about his business... and helps as many people as he can along the way. Always trying to be kind and helpful, but still maintains a solid personality and charisma.

Kamina(Gurren Lagann): Kamina is the complete opposite of the characters above. He's loud and obnoxious, completely off the chain, and a bit insane as well. He's tough and a loyal friend, though, and never lets an adversary of any calibur stand in his way. Loyalty and strength, and the undying will that stands so firm in his own beliefs that it ignites the hopes of those around him, also qualities I envy.

So it's not so much habits, but I suppose personality traits I attempt to emulate. And since my goal is to have those ingrained in me as a person, something I show through my actions habitually, I think it fits here rather well. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3