• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you loathe.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I often find there's a character who just gets my panties in a twist whenever they show up and figured others might like a place to come and vent about these awful fictional people you'd love to call up and bitch out but can't because they're not real. Come here to vent your illogical but very real frustration!

My hatred today is for Kaifun from SDF Macross, who sucks so much. SO much. He's the biggest priggishly idealistic naive reject I've ever come across. He can be found disgorging pacifist notions like how we should just stop fighting the race of giants who are attacking us unprovoked, or how we should have peace so long as the military has nothing to do with it because my name's Kaifun and the military is unequivocally bad. Intransigent. Puerile. Naive. Incestuous. Douche. These words describe this awful, awful character.

So vent, vent away. Maybe you'll find a kindred spirit or maybe someone who enlightens you as to why a character doesn't suck quite as much as you think. If a reasonably similar topic's already been posted please direct me there.
Data_Dog444

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
One character really stands out as my least favorite: Sasuke Uchiha from the Naruto franchise. I haven't actually seen all of Shippuden or even the original. I've only seen the first half of both series. Maybe I haven't seen enough to make this judgement, but it seems he pretty much stays the same throughout the series.

[/list][/list][/b]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
My most loathed anime character is probably Makoto Itou from School Days because he's a spoiler[cheating] scumbag who deserved everything he got spoiler[which was death. Twisted Evil]
4750G

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or have the recent threads started going real negative?

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't have a character I loathe (actually I might have, I just can't remember at the moment), but there are characters I deeply dislike. Any useless male lead of a harem series - by useless I mean dependent on the women plus cannot pick out one of the women surrounding him - I definitely dislike. Case in point, Rosario + Vampire's Aono Tsukune.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
Characters I absolutely despise

*Chibi-Usa from Sailormoon. Not only is she useless, but she's f**king annoying. I absolutely loathe precocious little brats like this who think they're so smart and mature....then they can't do shit to back it up. Lol, you suck.

*Yuuka from Elfen Lied. Complete Bitch. Wish Lucy had killed her. She was the ugliest one too.
*Sakuya from Tenchi in Tokyo. Bad fanfiction-originated self-insert Mary-Sue of epic proportions. Just die already.

There are male characters I hate too....but they're just manga ones, either because their anime counterparts weren't as bad or there isn't an anime of their series.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
Definitely a good opportunity to vent on some characters:

-Makoto Itou (School Days)- Someone already vented reasons for why I would hate this guy. The worst male lead for a romance anime I've come across.
-Dan'ichiro Sanka (Sankarea)- A recent character I detest. His disturbing and twisted mentality and treatment of Rea combined with spoiler[not getting any kind of repercussions for his actions by Rea and Chihiro] have me very irritated with the guy.
-Tsukasa Doumyoji (Hana Yori Dango)- Worst choice for a potential love interest I've come across in an anime. I never really understood what Tsukushi seen in the guy considering spoiler[he nearly raped her at one point from being jealous and attempted to get her expelled from the school because of Tsukushi falling for Rui, who isn't much better as a possible choice for love.]
-Saori Shikijou (Mahoromatic)- Biggest waste of a character in an anime I've come across. She contributed nothing in the series except for being a sleazebag trying to molest Suguru, freeloading at his house and butting heads with Mahoro.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:41 am Reply with quote
Albert from Gankutsuou. He nearly ruined the series for me. Incredibly stupid, naive, annoying and an absolutely horrible judge of character. He ignores all of his friends' advice and the suspicious goingons and instead just throws hissyfits because his massive mancrush on the Count completely blinds him to the obvious. It was so sweet that I nearly cheered when spoiler[the Count finally revealed that he'd been playing Albert all along and shot him in cold blood... except that he somehow managed to survive and came back to ruin the ending with more of his naive idealistic crap.] AAARGH!

Shu from Now and Then, Here and There. Another stupid, naive kid. What makes Shu incredibly irritating is that he has the gall to be constantly preaching his crap, even though the ONLY reason he manages to avoid all the horrible things that happen to other characters is his ludicrous amounts of sheer dumb luck.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
My vote for most loathsome character (if you can call her a character) would go to Fuzzy from the Nadia movie.
I have nothing against moe in principle, but Fuzzy represents a complete betrayal of everything essential to the original series. For a series whose theme song contains the lyric "I don't like timid people" and which stars the inspiring character of Nadia to end up in a film starring a spoiler[dead robot girl] is disappointing.
And Jean falling in love with her? Come on.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Having finished watching Aquarion Evol, recently, I'd say that Mikage.

Also, School Day's Mikoto, Shugo Chara's Tadase (for some reason, I just can't seem to stand his face) or his personality, Steins; Gate's Kurisu Makise's Father, Ali Al-Saachez from Gundam 00, and Dung Beetle "Koemushi" from Bokurano from the top of my head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Shugo Chara's Tadase (for some reason, I just can't seem to stand his face) or his personality

Tadase=wanna-be-trap. Anime hyper
I'm not a fan either. Though he doesn't fill me with rage like the other characters I mentioned do.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Kagami from Lucky Star, she annoys the crap out of me, I hate the way she treats Konata, I know she's a Tsundere but can't she be nicer to her friends. Also I hate Ash Ketchum in the Unova region, he acts like a total idiot loosing battles with a Pikachu that's supposed to be like a level trillion at this point and the fact that he doesn't evolve his Pokemon, also the fact that he claims that all his Pokemon are his "Buddies" when he doesn't even use half of them, also the fact he doesn't keep promises, he hasn't seen Pidgeoto since he got the GS ball and well, ten years later he still hasn't seen it. I also hate Arimi from Marmalade boy, every time I see her i just want to smack her. I also hate Patty from Lucky Star, her voice is annoying as heck and I just want to smack her, she's the perfect definition of what a weeaboo is.

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Kagami from Lucky Star, she annoys the crap out of me, I hate the way she treats Konata, I know she's a Tsundere but can't she be nicer to her friends.

Holy crap, I love you. Anime hyper I thought I was the only one who thought she was a stuck-up bitch! But yeah....she acts like she's so much better than the other three and I hate how negative her attitude is towards anime and the like.

So many people worship her....and that doesn't help. She's a VERY overrated character.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I tend to loathe loathsome characters. Not because they are mean ol bad guys without a conscious, but because they are consistently the worst written characters in anime. Want a loathsome character? Have him be a meanie... kick puppies, take candy from babies, poison the water, laugh maniacally at the misfortune of others, wax philosophical at the awesomeness of evil... because someone has to be. through all of anime I think I've only ever seen one truly loathsome character that I think was written very well, Takumi from NANA. The Marquis from Gosick, about 90% of the characters in Deadman Wonderland, the villainess in Shangri-La.... sometimes some token explanation will be given for being utter bastards- but the standard practice is lazy writing.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Albert from Gankutsuou. He nearly ruined the series for me. Incredibly stupid, naive, annoying and an absolutely horrible judge of character. He ignores all of his friends' advice and the suspicious goingons and instead just throws hissyfits because his massive mancrush on the Count completely blinds him to the obvious. It was so sweet that I nearly cheered when spoiler[the Count finally revealed that he'd been playing Albert all along and shot him in cold blood... except that he somehow managed to survive and came back to ruin the ending with more of his naive idealistic crap.] AAARGH!
This! 100 times this! He immediately came to mind when I saw this thread. A whiny, stupid, over emoting male lead that all the other characters give a pass to even though his actions causes hardship for everyone involved. Nearly ruined the series for me too.

I also have to say that I could not get very far into The Familiar of Zero because of Louise. I thought the story had a fun idea there, but she went beyond tsundere for me. She was so nasty, mean and cruel that I couldn't watch anymore. Maybe her attitude and actions were supposed to be funny in a sadistic way, but it was a giant turn off for me.
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
i'll chip in Yamato Akitsuki from Suzuka, although in all honesty i'm not sure why, i kinda purged my memories of this after watching it cause for some reason he just really, really annoyed me, i truly hated his character for some reason

but its just him, i watch most high school romance shows that air and have watch plenty that have aired already and out of all the different character types, from the weak willed and spineless to the overconfident wannabe player he's the only one that i developed any hatred for

if i felt like going back over it i'd find out why i didn't like him, but i get the feeling the experience would be about as painful to me as plunging my hand into a jar of razorblades and salt, despite people telling me it was a great series, although that may have been the manga....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 18