• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you loathe.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Bullying and teasing are usually the result of neglect in early childhood. Babies learn to empathise with those around them. The concept of a "sympathy cry" is based on this.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't have much of a problem with it if Shippo actually did something to deserve it. The worst he's done was point out his clear-as-day crush on Kagome. If Sango and Miroku do it, the worst they get is the finger. If a child does it, he punches the living crap out of him. He acts like such a petulant child about it. Sometimes I wonder who's really the kid in that group. Then again, this is Rumiko Takahashi. The concept of 'likable protagonists' has eluded her since Urusei Yatsura. I swear, next to Haruhi Suzumiya, that androgynous, albino furry has to be one of the worst examples of a good anime protagonist.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
OK, I think the subject's a little trickier than some people think it is; Main characters with negative qualities and outright villains, these are the kind of characters I like not liking or love loathing. Most of the cast of Desert Punk for example; I love not liking them. The exceptions, the characters that I'm supposed to like but can't:

Shizuru from My-Hime. Not only does she get away with her crimes, quite a few and they're varied at that and not all of them involve the Hime festival, but spoiler[she also gets the girl]. Why does she get away with everything? Because the fans liked her. Stupid, stupid fans...

Inuyasha: Pretty much the entire cast. Every fixed character quirk really, really starts to grate after awhile. I suppose that more a trademark of the original mangaka but Inuyasha wasn't meant to be an abrasive, over the top comedy.

Any Dragon Ball hero introduced after Gohan and yeah, they're all Saiyans. Somehow, their planet blowing up and their whole race becoming extinct or close to it was the best thing to happen to them. Does that make any sense? And I'll include teen Gohan here as well. I think Toriyama would too.

Tomoyo/Tomoya from Clannad. It's convenient their names are so similar so I don't have to remember which one's which. The guy's a whiney loser who enjoys treating the only guy, the only being on the entire planet who thinks he's worth something as he is, like crap and the girl thinks he's ok treating said friend like crap {"It's funny!" No, it's not}. At least most of the other girls thinks Tomoya {A?} needs a little adjustment or readjustment in the ways he treats his friends.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I wouldn't have much of a problem with it if Shippo actually did something to deserve it.

Well......he DOES. And he doesn't learn from it either.

Quote:
The worst he's done was point out his clear-as-day crush on Kagome.

Erm no.....I recall him really acting like a smartass about a lot of things around Inuyasha. I'd have to watch the series again though. But if pointing out Inuyasha's crush was really all he did, I wouldn't be so irked by him.

Quote:
If a child does it, he punches the living crap out of him.

Doesn't he just kinda bop him on the head? o_o

Quote:
I swear, next to Haruhi Suzumiya, that androgynous, albino furry has to be one of the worst examples of a good anime protagonist.

Actually, Kyon and Kagome are the main protagonists, brought in to shape up Haruhi and Inu into better people and develop their characters...at least, that's how it's meant to be.

As far as anime protagonists go though, protagonists like Light (Death Note) and Makoto (School Days) make Haruhi and Inuyasha both look like saints. Anime hyper

Last edited by Chiibi on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I can think of one character I really hate now. Lag Seeing from Letter Bee. There's not much to like about him really. He has an annoying voice, he cries all the time and he doesn't have eyebrows. Besides he thinks that letters are only filled with happy things, but when someone tells him about hatemail he's all shocked. Makes me chuckle when think about the phrase: "Cry me a river", this guy really could do it.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:08 am Reply with quote
When I saw the title of this thread, I expected to see a bunch of people bash Shinji from Evangelion. I'm very pleased to see that not to be the case so far.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I can think of one character I really hate now. Lag Seeing from Letter Bee. There's not much to like about him really. He has an annoying voice, he cries all the time and he doesn't have eyebrows. Besides he thinks that letters are only filled with happy things, but when someone tells him about hatemail he's all shocked. Makes me chuckle when think about the phrase: "Cry me a river", this guy really could do it.
I agree. I hadn't seen nuthin when it comes to crybabies before I saw Letter Bee. I wouldn't go so far as to say I loathe Lag, but I really really didn't like him.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Kagami from Lucky Star, she annoys the crap out of me, I hate the way she treats Konata, I know she's a Tsundere but can't she be nicer to her friends.
Konata - who, let us not forget, made Miyuki slip in the bath for shits and giggles - also sets her off intentionally at times.

Yeah but that's Konata being her usually fun loving self, when I mean Kagami is mean to her friends I mean she insults Konata, and thinks she's higher and mightier than the others.
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Ayase from Oreimo. Seriously I hate this girl way too much that I feel like I lose hope in humanity sometimes. She hates Anime/Manga as a whole because she thinks it's all hentai (which isn't true) & because of otaku. She may look cute but deep down inside she's nothing but a heartless close-minded spoiler[cunt].

Animegomaniac wrote:
Tomoyo/Tomoya from Clannad. It's convenient their names are so similar so I don't have to remember which one's which. The guy's a whiney loser who enjoys treating the only guy, the only being on the entire planet who thinks he's worth something as he is, like crap and the girl thinks he's ok treating said friend like crap {"It's funny!" No, it's not}. At least most of the other girls thinks Tomoya {A?} needs a little adjustment or readjustment in the ways he treats his friends.

I'm confused. Are you referring to Yohei Sunohara or Tomoyo?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
SecretJustin1130 wrote:
Ayase from Oreimo. Seriously I hate this girl way too much that I feel like I lose hope in humanity sometimes. She hates Anime/Manga as a whole because she thinks it's all hentai (which isn't true) & because of otaku. She may look cute but deep down inside she's nothing but a heartless close-minded spoiler[cunt].

I was no fan of Ayase but Kanako REALLY pissed me off more. I thought she was much worse....that stuck-up attitude....ooooh you just want to SMACK HER.
Twisted Evil
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Yeah but that's Konata being her usually fun loving self, when I mean Kagami is mean to her friends I mean she insults Konata, and thinks she's higher and mightier than the others.
The point.

Your head.

Let me simplify it for you: a number(possibly the great majority; I don't feel like counting right now) of Kagami's outburst were deliberately caused by Konata, who herself can be downright sociopathic at times.
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Hagu.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Care to elaborate?
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Sure.

So I've been meaning to watch Honey and Clover for the longest time and only got around to it a few months back. It's so often tossed out in josei/romance discussions and praised for it's characters that I felt an obligation to watch it, being a fan of the genre.

5 eps in and I found myself struggling, why? Hagu.

I'm not a fan of dainty wallflower characters to begin with but Hagu takes the biscuit. Her loli-esque design and VO made her so conspicuous among the cast that I could barely suspend my disbelieve far enough to accommodate her. The way she has that worried white eyed expression for almost 80% of the show didn't help, and her relentless "naive-but-isn't-it-cute?" shenanigans got tiresome fast, even by anime standards.

I think the problem is that HnC is pegged as this grounded show with an endearing and believable cast, and Hagu is nothing of the sort. She felt like something plucked straight from the vulnerable girl archetype catalog.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

Let me simplify it for you: a number(possibly the great majority; I don't feel like counting right now) of Kagami's outburst were deliberately caused by Konata, who herself can be downright sociopathic at times.

While I can't always blame Kagami for yelling at Konata (because Konata can be rather outrageous lol) , there's just something about Kagami that screams "SNOB!" to me. I can't really explain it but...I don't know. She just feels like a stuck-up character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18