• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Dead Leaves

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
willag wrote:
The end credits just ran over the last minute or so of the episode. It's one reason I've kept the fansubs despite buying the limited editions - if I ever wanted to compare the changes to the original broadcast, I have it available.

I've done the same. Most of the changes have been for the best, but the end of episode 11 in the original broadcast was far, far superior to the DVD/BD version. I know I posted about it before somewhere but I don't remember which thread. Basically, (vague ep11 spoilers) spoiler[in the original version, that scene where Homura starts choking up, on the verge of the abyss right before Madoka arrives, the atmosphere of the scene is super powerful, and there is nothing to really detract from it (and the credits overlay really adds this punch of finality to the scene). In the BD/DVD version, really distracting kinda upbeat music starts playing and really creates some mood whiplash of the worst kind. I mean, Madoka has a lot of mood whiplash moments, but they're done intentionally and they work. Except this one.] Maybe it's just me. I realize you might not have seen this version of ep11 yet since volume three isn't out yet. If that's the case, get back to me on this when you've had a chance to watch volume three and let me know what you thought of the scene change. Very Happy

Hm... I'm not hearing it for some reason. I have yesy's subs and I've been watching each episode of Madoka as it has been coming out on Crunchyroll. I know they're two different versions, because I can find animation differences between the two. But the music doesn't sound different to me. And considering I started breaking down crying again last week when I watched episode 11 during that exact scene, I really feel that the music helps capture the hopeless gravitas that Homura feels. I think the volume may have been turned down a little bit in comparison to how loud Homura was talking, but otherwise I can't tell a difference.

EDIT: Just to note, I literally just compared the two versions three times to see if I could tell a difference. Other than the volume, I couldn't hear anything. I do agree though that the credits rolling over the scene helps add a punch of finality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
serrin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
@Serrin:

Would those be Audioengine A2 speakers?

Yes they are. I couldn't fit A5's on my computer table with my two monitors taking a lot of space already.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Hm... I'm not hearing it for some reason. I have yesy's subs and I've been watching each episode of Madoka as it has been coming out on Crunchyroll. I know they're two different versions, because I can find animation differences between the two. But the music doesn't sound different to me. And considering I started breaking down crying again last week when I watched episode 11 during that exact scene, I really feel that the music helps capture the hopeless gravitas that Homura feels. I think the volume may have been turned down a little bit in comparison to how loud Homura was talking, but otherwise I can't tell a difference.

EDIT: Just to note, I literally just compared the two versions three times to see if I could tell a difference. Other than the volume, I couldn't hear anything. I do agree though that the credits rolling over the scene helps add a punch of finality.

In the original TV broadcast, there were simply credits, with no music. Same with NicoNico broadcast, which was updated and edited, but kept the same ending credit scenario as the TV broadcast. However, the BD/DVD release (which was released in late September, 2011) had "Magia" play right after Madoka says, spoiler["Mou ii... Mou ii n da yo, Homura-chan," (I think yesy's subs say, "That's enough... That's enough, Homura-chan")] and Homura replies, spoiler["Madoka..."]

If you don't hear it, you probably don't have the BD/DVD version. And if you don't have that version, I highly recommend you get the BD/DVD of Volume 3 when it comes out in the West. The big fight scene in the episode was greatly improved, especially at the end.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to burst you bubble, but I've got up to 34, I've started running out of space and some of the longer series are double stacked.

*Darth Vader "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO"*

I must buy more volumes! And finish the ones I did buy >_>

I'm only up to 22; I think I dropped it when it looked like it was going to go into another tournament arc. Though since it concluded I'm considering picking it up again before the backlog becomes too expensive.

There's pretty much no tournament fighting. There's two introductory fights, and then everything between that and the final match is skipped in favor of Negi's training/character development (and side stories for other characters).

The Human Spider wrote:
I came into NEGIMA as more of a comedy fan. I acually became frustrated around right before and during the festival arc where it seemed like Akamatsu was throwing in any idea that came to mind until finally settling on a more shonen style direction for the manga. But now that I know it has an ending I intend to finish it and collect the missing back issues.

Err, it's not so much that the manga has an ending as it is that it ends. Abruptly. And with four major plot resolutions occurring off panel. Including the one that's been Negi's goal since pretty much the beginning of the series: finding his father.

It should be noted that this probably wasn't how Akamatsu intended to finish the manga, but he was kind of forced to wrap things up (presumably) before his current contract needed to be renewed, as he is strongly opposed to Kodansha's position in support of a law that would allow the publishing company to sue artists who make doujinshi without needing to be requested to do so by the original creator of the work being infringed.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I knew Madoka was "dark" before even watching the series based on comments (I started watching after episode 10 originally aired)

But I think even if I hadn't heard I would have thought there was more to the series in the first two eps. The scene when Kyuubey is all bloody for example is kind of foreboding to me.

If you look closely, you'll notice that there is no blood anywhere on him. It's just his outer skin(?) is ripped a bit, and the layer underneath it is red.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

If you look closely, you'll notice that there is no blood anywhere on him. It's just his outer skin(?) is ripped a bit, and the layer underneath it is red.

Aha well I did not know that. I have only seen the episode twice once through fan sub and once through CR.

But I guess it doesn't matter I mistook it for blood and hence the series seemed darker to me because of that, at least darker than your typical magical girl series.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Aha well I did not know that. I have only seen the episode twice once through fan sub and once through CR.

But I guess it doesn't matter I mistook it for blood and hence the series seemed darker to me because of that, at least darker than your typical magical girl series.

Hmm... One of my friends might agree. When he saw poor Kyuubey ripped up like that, with red underneath, he lost it. I was clearly disturbed by how the heck the little guy was ripped and obviously wounded, but not actually bleeding... but my friend was like, "HOW COULD THEY DO THAT TO SUCH A CUTE KITTY?!" --nonethewiser.
I told him, "You'll get over it soon enough. Trust me." >.>;;;
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
willag wrote:

In the original TV broadcast, there were simply credits, with no music. Same with NicoNico broadcast, which was updated and edited, but kept the same ending credit scenario as the TV broadcast. However, the BD/DVD release (which was released in late September, 2011) had "Magia" play right after Madoka says, spoiler["Mou ii... Mou ii n da yo, Homura-chan," (I think yesy's subs say, "That's enough... That's enough, Homura-chan")] and Homura replies, spoiler["Madoka..."]

If you don't hear it, you probably don't have the BD/DVD version. And if you don't have that version, I highly recommend you get the BD/DVD of Volume 3 when it comes out in the West. The big fight scene in the episode was greatly improved, especially at the end.

All I have to compare are gg's fansubs, yesy's fansubs, and Crunchyroll's broadcast. I assume that yesy's is the original TV broadcast and that Crunchyroll is the DVD/bluray version. All I know is that the animation has been updated when I compare yesy's to Crunchyroll's. I've been buying the limited editions as they've been coming out in America (pre-ordered them last year on the day they first showed up online), and I'm definitely looking forward to getting the third volume in June. Yay!

I knew about the Magia song playing. Veers and I were just discussing the scene right before then spoiler[when Homura gives up hope and her soul gem starts to become tarnished.] It's during that scene that some music plays which includes a full orchestra (the high notes that the violins play stick out the most). Unless if there's a different version that I don't know about, I'm not entirely certain what Veers is referring to with the "upbeat music." I hear no difference between yesy and Crunchyroll, and the song doesn't sound upbeat to me.

EDIT: Ah, okay, Crunchyroll may not have the DVD/bluray version. I'm guessing it could be the 2nd streaming version that came after the TV broadcast. I just assumed it was the DVD/bluray version because Homura's injured leg wasn't censored.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
All I have to compare are gg's fansubs, yesy's fansubs, and Crunchyroll's broadcast. I assume that yesy's is the original TV broadcast and that Crunchyroll is the DVD/bluray version. All I know is that the animation has been updated when I compare yesy's to Crunchyroll's. I've been buying the limited editions as they've been coming out in America (pre-ordered them last year on the day they first showed up online), and I'm definitely looking forward to getting the third volume in June. Yay!

I knew about the Magia song playing. Veers and I were just discussing the scene right before then spoiler[when Homura gives up hope and her soul gem starts to become tarnished.] It's during that scene that some music plays which includes a full orchestra (the high notes that the violins play stick out the most). Unless if there's a different version that I don't know about, I'm not entirely certain what Veers is referring to with the "upbeat music." I hear no difference between yesy and Crunchyroll, and the song doesn't sound upbeat to me.

Crunchyroll is using the BD/DVD release. There are no changes between the TV broadcast and BD/DVD release of the spoiler[Homura despair] scene, but the scene directly after that is the Magia insert scene in the BD/DVD release, so I actually think that's what Veers is talking about. If he is, then I also agree a bit.
I mean, the original TV broadcast's ending silence loomed over the atmosphere, which was pretty eerie. But when I watched the BD/DVD release, when they added Magia in there, that looming, eerie silence felt interrupted with a whole new atmosphere that seemed to say, "now, things are going to move"... which wasn't what I originally felt, so it was definitely a "wth?" moment when I heard it.
On that note, I actually think the change was much better. When I was watching the final two episodes with my suitemate today, he stood up from his chair at that point and looked like he was going to grab my TV or something because he recognized then that something was about to happen, and it was going to be good (yes, he is a bit crazy, and he had really gotten into the scene). The song added a "cool" factor to the eventual, subsequent event that would play out in the next episode.
While it certainly didn't change my own anticipation of the next scene, it did add a new layer to the surface to help lead the audience into the next episode.

Fun trivia on the spoiler[Homura despair] scene, though... The song is called "Nux Walpurgis" and the track actually continues a little beyond what they put in the anime. If they had more time in the episode, I'm sure they could have kept the track at full length, extending the scene and making it much more dramatic. It's an amazing track...
Veers

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm sorry, I was referring to the later part of that scene (I was just referring to everything from when Homura lands in the rubble to the end of the episode as "that one scene"). Juno hit the nail on the head about what I was talking about:
Juno016 wrote:
but the scene directly after that is the Magia insert scene in the BD/DVD release, so I actually think that's what Veers is talking about. If he is, then I also agree a bit.

"Upbeat" was the wrong word to use but compared to the solemn crescendo of strings the music ends with the original, Magia kicking in right at the end of the scene just felt wrong (not "happy" just... with a beat that didn't fit).
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Crunchyroll is using the BD/DVD release. There are no changes between the TV broadcast and BD/DVD release of the spoiler[Homura despair] scene, but the scene directly after that is the Magia insert scene in the BD/DVD release, so I actually think that's what Veers is talking about. If he is, then I also agree a bit.
I mean, the original TV broadcast's ending silence loomed over the atmosphere, which was pretty eerie. But when I watched the BD/DVD release, when they added Magia in there, that looming, eerie silence felt interrupted with a whole new atmosphere that seemed to say, "now, things are going to move"... which wasn't what I originally felt, so it was definitely a "wth?" moment when I heard it.
On that note, I actually think the change was much better. When I was watching the final two episodes with my suitemate today, he stood up from his chair at that point and looked like he was going to grab my TV or something because he recognized then that something was about to happen, and it was going to be good (yes, he is a bit crazy, and he had really gotten into the scene). The song added a "cool" factor to the eventual, subsequent event that would play out in the next episode.
While it certainly didn't change my own anticipation of the next scene, it did add a new layer to the surface to help lead the audience into the next episode.

Fun trivia on the spoiler[Homura despair] scene, though... The song is called "Nux Walpurgis" and the track actually continues a little beyond what they put in the anime. If they had more time in the episode, I'm sure they could have kept the track at full length, extending the scene and making it much more dramatic. It's an amazing track...

Gah, glad I found this out before seeing it for myself... despite me having the BD subs, I've been waiting to see those BD versions mainly only when Aniplex USA releases them. But, this got me to compare/contrast the episode 11 Broadcast/BD versions and... yeah, I kinda miss the eerie silence. The credits overlay really added to the seeming finality of the scene: when I saw them appear for the first time, I was truly all oh s***, oh s***, HOLY FREAKIN' S*** inside, and I really thought for a bit that spoiler[this was going to mean a Bad End].

That said, the segueing into the opening tunes of Magia can be looked at as something that doesn't take all the eerieness away of the original scene. Save for Mami's fight against Gretchen, "Magia" has been used as an insert song during the scenes spoiler[right before Madoka makes her contract, in the first scene of the anime as well as towards the end of episode 10], so in a way, it can be viewed as an spoiler[[i]oh s***, oh s***, OH S*** HISTORY IS REPEATING ITSELF AGAIN maybe GRAUGH moment]. Think of it as... what, parallelism? Is that the right term?

And speaking of something that seemed to be given a bit extra oomph in the BD version, perhaps more than it needed to... (episode 12 spoiler) spoiler[how about dat even more nekkid space hug scene? And not just a more naked hug in space, but in a space filled with SHIMMERING EASTER CANDY COLORED BUBBLES and SWIRLING RUNES?] That was the other scene I "spoiled" for myself before the official BD release. The just seems to be a bit too... busy, and more awkward overall than the original scene. A sweet scene with great music all around, sure, but... dang, it's not easy for me to take it super seriously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
so in a way, it can be viewed as an spoiler[oh s***, oh s***, OH S*** HISTORY IS REPEATING ITSELF AGAIN maybe GRAUGH moment]. Think of it as... what, parallelism? Is that the right term?

And speaking of something that seemed to be given a bit extra oomph in the BD version, perhaps more than it needed to... (episode 12 spoiler) spoiler[how about dat even more nekkid space hug scene? And not just a more naked hug in space, but in a space filled with SHIMMERING EASTER CANDY COLORED BUBBLES and SWIRLING RUNES?] That was the other scene I "spoiled" for myself before the official BD release. The just seems to be a bit too... busy, and more awkward overall than the original scene. A sweet scene with great music all around, sure, but... dang, it's not easy for me to take it super seriously.

I talked to my suitemate last night and that's EXACTLY what he said about the scene. So you're right. I think I might've felt that in both, but Magia made it more apparent and intentional. Veers is kinda right, though, since the sad orchestral music and Magia don't really... mix that well. But I guess I didn't really think about that because there IS an extreme change in the scene.
But if there's one thing Madoka isn't exactly good at, it's smooth atmosphere. The atmosphere is GREAT when it builds it up, but especially when it comes to switching episodes, it seems to take priority over moving the plot forward than holding onto the actual atmosphere it had established up to that point. Not that I care, since it still makes complete sense to me. It just catches me and others off guard at times.

As for the spoiler[nekkid space hug] scene, I actually like the change in that, too. The whole space filling their bodies thing in the TV broadcast was a very creative censor, but even uncensored, it wasn't inappropriate. I mean, spoiler[the psychological elements and the joyful sorrow leading up to that scene actually made me [i]expect a naked scene, as though it was exactly what they needed. Having two bodies, naked, pressed up against each other or in a loving embrace just made the scene that much more touching for me. Especially knowing they weren't going to see each other again...]
Ironically, I find myself crying even harder the more I watch that scene. It's like I create or find an extra layer of meaning every time I watch the series (currently on my 10th viewing...). At least, as opposed to something like AnoHana, which I'm slowly, but surely drying my tears every time I watch the ending...
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Err, it's not so much that the manga has an ending as it is that it ends. Abruptly. And with four major plot resolutions occurring off panel. Including the one that's been Negi's goal since pretty much the beginning of the series: finding his father.

I heard that the ending was disappointing; I'm trying not to read anything too detailed about it though. But, I'm about 90% sure that it'll still be better than the 1st anime's ending.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the NISA HoFL replacement program: I too have had nothing but a good experience with this. One minute filling out an online form (& not even having to cough up postage to return the defective discs, which was a surprise) and I got my replacements within the next week. Luckily there was no rush, as I'm not going to watch the it until the manga's finished its run. I generally prefer manga to anime and don't want to lessen the former's impact by seeing the anime ending, so I'm just displaying the (absolutely lovely) boxset on a shelf for now.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for the spoiler[spoiler[nekkid space hug] scene, I actually like the change in that, too.] The whole space filling their bodies thing in the TV broadcast was a very spoiler[creative censor, but even uncensored, it wasn't inappropriate. I mean, spoiler[the psychological elements and the joyful sorrow leading up to that scene actually made me [i]expect a naked scene, as though it was exactly what they needed.] Having two bodies, naked, pressed up against each other or in a loving embrace just made the scene that much more touching for me. Especially knowing they weren't going to see each other again...]
Ironically, I find myself crying even harder the more I watch that scene. It's like I create or find an extra layer of meaning every time I watch the series (currently on my 10th viewing...). At least, as opposed to something like AnoHana, which I'm slowly, but surely drying my tears every time I watch the ending...

All that scene made me think was "this is the most gratuitous loli-fanservice scene I have seen in a LONG while".
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

All that scene made me think was "this is the most gratuitous loli-fanservice scene I have seen in a LONG while".

All this post makes me think is "wow, the most ridiculous hyperbole I've read all week!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6