• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Dead Leaves

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Look, I don't deny that it was highly important to the episode but jesus did they really have to be naked?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Look, I don't deny that it was highly important to the episode but jesus did they really have to be naked?

It would have been rather odd if they weren't, honestly.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
All that scene made me think was "this is the most gratuitous loli-fanservice scene I have seen in a LONG while".

Haha, really? I didn't feel any sexual tension from the scene, but looking at it objectively, I supposed it does need its context in order to not look like some kind of blatant fanservice. I never even noticed that the BD version had them completely naked until a blog I occasionally visit mentioned it. Then I checked it again and was like, "oh, they are naked!" Anime hyper
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Haha, really? I didn't feel any sexual tension from the scene,

And of course you aren't.

Nudity != Sex/eroticism

BTW, anything more specific on this needs to be spoiler tagged.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

It would have been rather odd if they weren't, honestly.

Okay, yeah: it IS really beautiful and symbolic but anime has kinda jaded me so I just looked at it cynically.

Also, that was my first time watching the episode, and the whole final episode is a doozy that takes a while to digest. So things were kinda flying over my head at first.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
BTW, anything more specific on this needs to be spoiler tagged.

Spoiler tagged or moved elsewhere entirely, perhaps. This discussion doesn't seem to have much to do with the first Madoka BD/DVD that's mentioned in the column any more, as much as fun as it is to read the back-and-forth of the discussion. I can't remember how the discussion got to the content of the third disc. ^^;
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Same thing happened on the thread for the review of the second disc. It's like a law in this forum that any discussion on Madoka will divert into discussion of the third disc.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Same thing happened on the thread for the review of the second disc. It's like a law in this forum that any discussion on Madoka will divert into discussion of the third disc.

I cant' wait for volume 3 to come out.

That thread is going to go down in history.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
You really think it's gonna outdo the Nanoha thread or the KnJ thread or the Otakukin thread?
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Well, it's hard to not talk about things that are to come when everything that happened in the first two-thirds were mainly in preparation for the final third. That's just the kind of series this is.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:57 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I can't' wait for volume 3 to come out.

That thread is going to go down in history.

Maybe it'll be a quiet thread, because all of the volume three content will have been discussed in the threads following the reviews/shelf-life columns discussing volume 1 and volume 2, or in the thread for the series itself. ;p

Hopefully it happens in an appropriate thread, but wherever it takes place I'll look forward to reading thoughts from first-timers. ^^
N.R.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:19 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
N.R. wrote:
A lot of people outside the U.S. import anime (like me) and we won't be able to use this replacement program.

Have you actually confirmed this? I live in Canada and they were perfectly willing to send me the replacements.

There's more to this then just asking for a replacement. First, and I'm sorry if this may sound rude, but Canada is practically considered part of the U.S. for some retailers. But Europe and the Middle East are a completely different story (I've lived in both). It costs between 5-15$ per item to ship anime/manga goods from the U.S. to Europe and the Middle East, and if you buy a product up of 50$ there's even tax involved (and NISA sell those premium boxes for more than that). So even if NISA would say "sure, send it back to us and we'll send the replacement" you are still paying the post office 10$ for sending the product back because NISA made a mistake.

Furthermore internet consumerism relies heavily on the fact that you are getting an undamaged quality product, just like you would if you bought it a physical store. If there is a 50% change (or more) that I'll be getting a defected product from NISA there's no chance I'll order anything from them, even if I love the series they licensed.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
So even if NISA would say "sure, send it back to us and we'll send the replacement" you are still paying the post office 10$ for sending the product back because NISA made a mistake.
If it makes a difference, NISA is not asking for the defective discs to be returned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
Poonk is right. When I ordered my copy, NISA included the replacement discs right with my order. I have two copies of the DVDs right from the get-go. No work involved on my part whatsoever.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Why is everyone who watches PMMM for the first time always so unimpressed with the first two episodes? Speaking about those who missed the broadcast run. Looking back at the show's discussion thread in the Anime Forum, people at the time were really digging the first two episodes, myself included.

Episode three is not when the show 'gets good', it already was good beforehand. And not just in hindsight either, thank-you-very-much. No, episode three is simply when PMMM decides to cast away all aspersions and run with the world and the rules established in the first two episodes.

Yeah, my appreciation of the show went up with episode three, but the quality was evident right from the beginning. So I just do not get the reaction that so many people display.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6