• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga that would be appropriate for a high school library.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
We have a really, really small manga section in my high schools library, and I was wondering what would be "ok" ideas for what I could donate to the section. I was going to buy school rumble and see if that would work out but they suddenly stopped selling them at the store I was going to buy it at. I would want to bring in a series that the Librarian would approve of and so far we have mostly main stream manga's. I'm thinking either Ranma1/2, The Sailor Moon Series or One Piece would be good contributions since they're all well known but we really need some more Shoujo manga. I'm thinking Sailor Moon would be the best bet, any suggestions other wise?
I'd like to note that the school does indeed have a tiny manga section but there isn't much variety Bleach, Dragon Ball Z, Rave Master, and Ouran High School host club are the only ones they have and with an exception of Ouran High School Host club I'm sure they wouldn't appeal to many of my fellow females at my school.
EDIT: Unnecessary apostrophe removed ~Zalis[/i]

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
This is probably due to the fact that I was reading it today but Love*Com strikes me as a good series for a high school library, since it is set in high school and has some very endearing characters and fun stories to it. And it actually deals with what happens after you and your crush start dating! Also pretty sure it's all fairly clean fun.

Ouran High School Host Club
could also work for pretty much the exact same reasons, minus the dating (probably, I'm not up to date with the current issues though so who knows?). I'd go with Love*Com first though, since some of the fun of Ouran is seeing how it parodies other shoujo manga, which is something someone who hasn't read a lot of shoujo might not pick up on.

Sailor Moon also is always a good bet, though I will admit that some of my love for it comes from nostalgia, which the high school students obviously would not have.
Jon182

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
First of all, let me commend you for donating manga to a school library. I think school would have been a bit more interesting with manga in the library.

As for manga for high school students, that's tough, as the age and tastes of the students vary quite a bit. I'd personally recommend Pluto, Oishinbo and Lone Wolf and Cub.

I enjoy shonen/shojo manga as much as the next fan, but I was thinking of manga that has some artistic/educational merit. I don't know if the librarian would approve of that last recommendation, but there are far racier titles(novels) on the shelves of most school libraries.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
In terms of shojo manga, I concur with Lovely Complex. Kimi ni Todoke and I Am Here! would be good examples.

If you want to sneak in some of the "good stuff," then 20th Century Boys or Pluto would be good picks.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I second Kimi ni Todoke! That series is a must if you are looking for shojo genre to donate to your library.

Card Captor Sakura, Karakuri Odette and Wish would be appropriate as well since they are mostly fluffy feel good series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll second Love*Com and KnT Smile I'll also second Karakuri Odette, especially because it's relatively short and therefore would be fairly easy to collect. However, that title, though not hard to find from what I can tell, is also Tokyopop, which means it's technically OOP. I would also recommend Natsume's Book of Friends and High School Debut for shoujo. I definitely do not recommend Vampire Knight or Black Bird, as that's a mistake my high school library already made xD

My high school generally also liked when titles that were a bit more artsy or intellectual (i.e. "justified" xD) were recommended or donated to them, so it might be nice to sneak in a couple of those^^ Buster Blader 126 already mentioned Naoki Urasawa (I would recommend Monster, myself), but other stuff like Mushishi or even (the first four volumes of) Bunny Drop might be good.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
I definitely do not recommend Vampire Knight or Black Bird, as that's a mistake my high school library already made xD

LOL I second these titles to not be recommended. Black Bird is a pretentious series... I am so baffled how it managed to get the Shogakukan award as this series is full on "sexual tension" its shameful..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't read much shoujo, so the only suggestion I have is The Story of Saiunkoku. My other suggestion, Pandora Hearts, is technically a shonen but is definitely aimed at girls, so it has the ability to appeal to either gender.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
I don't read much shoujo, so the only suggestion I have is The Story of Saiunkoku.

Ooh, that's a good one. Especially since the focus on politics gives it a slightly more educational bent. It also has plenty of pretty boys gracing its covers so I'm sure it would be popular! xD
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
SereneChaos wrote:
I don't read much shoujo, so the only suggestion I have is The Story of Saiunkoku.

Ooh, that's a good one. Especially since the focus on politics gives it a slightly more educational bent. It also has plenty of pretty boys gracing its covers so I'm sure it would be popular! xD

That's what I was thinking. Smile It's a good blend of intelligent and enjoyable. The only other manga that I could think of like that was A Bride's Story, but that's one most high schoolers wouldn't pick up, and most would probably put it down in disgust based on the summary alone.

Oh yeah, Tegami Bachi might be a good choice too. The cute characters could appeal to a lot of people, and its more melancholy mood and setting sets it apart from a lot of other shonens.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Saiunkoku is definitely another good one. Shuurei is amazing!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
Get all of Arina Tanemura's titles!

..........skip Shinshi Doumei though.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Ranma 1/2 might have too much nudity for some librarians, other than that I think that it would be a good choice.

One that I would recommend is Love Roma. I think that it is a great series and it is only five volumes, completely released, and is relevant to high school life. One possible problem is that two high school kids have consensual sex. There was nothing really erotic about it, we were really just told that they did it.
I could say the same thing about Happy Hustle High though it is a bit closer to being ecchi. The rating on it is older teen.

Some others that I would recommend, though it has been a while since I read them and I might be forgetting something that is problematic:
Alice on Deadlines
Chibi Vampire
Stray Little Devil
Suzunari!

If your librarian is rather liberal you might try Pretty Face.
For a shounen series I like Buso Renkin right now. It is only 10 volumes.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Love*Com does go into sex stuff near the end, guys. Nothing that I personally wouldn't give to most high schoolers (in fact, I really like the way it's handled--- she's not ready but feels pressure, he tells her it's okay to wait.), but still enough that I would highly debate just adding it willy-nilly to any given library. Then again, I'm in the South, and people tend to be more conservative here. Laughing

Oh, but I'd definitely suggest Arisa and Kitchen Princess! KP is aimed at a slightly younger audience I think, but Arisa would be perfect for high school kids. I think series like Dengeki Daisy, Seiho Boys High School, and A Devil and Her Love Song would also be popular. Mixed Vegetables might resonate with a lot of readers, since the main protagonists spend most of their time aiming for their dreams against their parents' wishes for them. And yes, definitely Saiunkoku!

As far as shonen goes, Genkaku Picasso should be required in all high school libraries. It's only 3 volumes long, but it's one of the best series I've read. (Don't get Furuya's other stuff, though. Anime hyper)

Also, don't forget Yen Press' novel adaptions! They'd be a great way to get non-manga readers into manga. Maximum Ride, Witch and Wizard, Soulless--- yeah, even the Gossip Girl manga.

And finally: SKIP BEAT! is my absolute favoritest manga and has a great message about getting out of bad relationships and learning to love yourself. With the new 3-in-1 editions Viz is doing, it's now easier to collect than ever!
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
As far as shonen goes, Genkaku Picasso should be required in all high school libraries. It's only 3 volumes long, but it's one of the best series I've read. (Don't get Furuya's other stuff, though. Anime hyper)

Why? I think Lychee Light Club would be perfect for a high school setting! Twisted Evil

I can attest that Dengeki Daisy and Arisa both did well in my high school, especially the former (think the latter's art style looked too kiddie for a lot of people to pick up). I didn't even think of Kitchen Princess, but it's one of my favorite shoujo series^^ And only ten volumes! It would be a great series to pick up, especially if your school already has Fruits Basket, which is similar in a lot of ways. (If your school doesn't have Fruits Basket, then I highly recommend that one! It doesn't go above a PG-13 rating and it's a great shoujo, my personal favorite.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3