• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sub translation differences?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NExclusive

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
So this is just something I curious about, but when I'm watching an episode done by a subbing company then I watch the same episode with a different subbing company,9/10 times it's translated differently..Is this simply because some companies translate the language incorrectly or is this because words have similar meanings in the Japanese language? I would think that no matter what you say in Japanese, It would still have the same meaning in english.. Question
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
NExclusive wrote:
I would think that no matter what you say in Japanese, It would still have the same meaning in english.. Question

As I understand it, that's completely wrong. There are a lot of japanese terms with no 'direct' english translation (not surprising considering they use three different alphabets and vastly different sentence structure) so there are many occasions where the TL has to make a judgement call and try and translate to match the context best they can. This can occasionally go horribly, horribly wrong, especially with fansub groups.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's my understanding.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Translation all depends on the translators interpretation on what is being said, no two translations will ever be exactly alike.

It's alot like baking an apple pie, you can give the same recipe to 10 different people and tell them to make an apple pie, yet when you sample them its unlikely any of them will taste exactly the same.
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
Translation all depends on the translators interpretation on what is being said, no two translations will ever be exactly alike.

It's alot like baking an apple pie, you can give the same recipe to 10 different people and tell them to make an apple pie, yet when you sample them its unlikely any of them will taste exactly the same.

Yet at the same time, you know it's apple pie and it definitely tastes quite like it. Subtle differences between them but none of them wrong.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Translation depends not only on the translator having the ability to understand what is being said (both explicitly and implicitly) in the original; it also depends on the translator being able to express himself with sufficient skill in the language being translated to. To my mind, the latter is more of a problem than the former.

I'm not going to beat on fansubbers for being amateurs -- it's what they are, in every sense of the word (both good and bad). However, some of them are young enough to be a product of an era where proper grammar and spelling are foreign enough concepts to qualify for status as occult practices, and fluidity of expression is an exception to the rule. It's hardly surprising that translations sometimes wobble from good to bad and back again.

What's more interesting is that the official subbers don't do much better. I'm so used to gritting my teeth and sitting through another film with slapdash subtitles, it hardly seems unusual to me anymore. Official or fansub, I don't think I have ever seen an anime where I haven't, at some point or another, felt that the translators made an elementary-level mistake. Often, it feels like the problem isn't a lack of skill, but a lack of effort. It feels like they're hardly even trying.

Of course, on occasion, you come across some excusable situations. When a Japanese-speaking character suddenly starts speaking French and referring to Parisian geography (e.g. School Days), it's understandable if the translator can't get every nuance across. But, again, how hard could it be to find someone who does speak French?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranma87

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
The main selling point of any anime DVD/Bluray in the US is the dub, most publishers only include subtitles because they have to as a minority of the fanbase demands subtitles and the original Japanese track.

Many many times I have seen subtitles falling flat on DVD's or being overall worse than the fansubs because they were either,

1) Rushed in house.

2) Contracted out and bulk translated, by someone who didn't even watch the show.

The subtitles on the Ranma 1/2 sets are by far the worst I've ever seen, I think they just sent the scripts to a translation company.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
The main selling point of any anime DVD/Bluray in the US is the dub, most publishers only include subtitles because they have to as a minority of the fanbase demands subtitles and the original Japanese track.

It is hard to make that argument with the increasing amount of sub-only anime coming out of pretty much every company other than FUNimation. Prior to DVD, some series had separate sub and dub releases on VHS (and after if you count Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura) so clearly the sub version had a viable market even back then; it wouldn't be worth it for a minority of a niche market surely?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:

You're completely disregarding the fact that dubs need scripts to work off of, and those scripts come from translations of the original. Whether or not it's translated by the original production company or by a studio here, things will still be lost in a dub as well, perhaps more if you try to re-write it to flow more naturally in English. And with dubs, you normally only see one shot at a script, unless it's an older title that's seen many English audio tracks. Aside from subtitle translations, you have very little to compare it to on its own merit.

You're also likely underestimating the fanbase that prefers original Japanese audio on their DVDs. If I bought a DVD of any foreign film, I'd want the original audio to be included. There's a good reason why subtitle tracks aren't just dubtitles all the time, or for those who are hard of hearing.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:

Yes because a dub-only DVD will sell so much better.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:

It is hard to make that argument with the increasing amount of sub-only anime coming out of pretty much every company other than FUNimation. Prior to DVD, some series had separate sub and dub releases on VHS (and after if you count Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura) so clearly the sub version had a viable market even back then; it wouldn't be worth it for a minority of a niche market surely?
I refuse to buy any DVD or Bluray that doesn't have a dub track, and I know I'm definately not alone. If these companies want to publish sub only releases thats fine, but I and many like me just won't be buying it.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:

You're completely disregarding the fact that dubs need scripts to work off of, and those scripts come from translations of the original. Whether or not it's translated by the original production company or by a studio here, things will still be lost in a dub as well, perhaps more if you try to re-write it to flow more naturally in English. And with dubs, you normally only see one shot at a script, unless it's an older title that's seen many English audio tracks. Aside from subtitle translations, you have very little to compare it to on its own merit.

You're also likely underestimating the fanbase that prefers original Japanese audio on their DVDs. If I bought a DVD of any foreign film, I'd want the original audio to be included. There's a good reason why subtitle tracks aren't just dubtitles all the time, or for those who are hard of hearing.
For dubs scripts are often altered to make understanding it easier for a western speaker to understand. A few things may be lost in animes that are Japanese culture heavy but typically I understand a storyline better watching a dub once than I do watching a sub 2 or 3 times.

garfield15 wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:

Yes because a dub-only DVD will sell so much better.

Dub only dvd's = medicore sales

Sub only dvd's = mediocre sales

Dub+Sub dvd's = highest sales potential because it pleases both dub and sub watchers.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
Can we for once keep this just about subtitles, and not about sub vs. dub vs. subbed anime is worthless? I'm looking at you, Ranma87.

NExclusive wrote:
So this is just something I curious about, but when I'm watching an episode done by a subbing company then I watch the same episode with a different subbing company,9/10 times it's translated differently..Is this simply because some companies translate the language incorrectly or is this because words have similar meanings in the Japanese language? I would think that no matter what you say in Japanese, It would still have the same meaning in English.. Question
Because translation is as much an art as it is a science. It's not a game of 1:1 correspondence. Some common Japanese words or phrases could have a dozen different valid translations, depending on the character, the context, and the setting. For words like yokatta or the various forms of ganbaru, I change up the translations just for the sake of variety. Having "I'm glad" or "I'll do my best / Do your best" 20 times an episode makes a script flat and boring to read.

Also, it's pretty unlikely that you'd see subs from two different subbing companies, except for shows like Lost Universe that were originally released by Company A and then re-licensed, re-translated, and re-released by Company B. It's more likely to see subs from 2 or more fansub groups and/or official subs.

Quote:
When a Japanese-speaking character suddenly starts speaking French and referring to Parisian geography (e.g. School Days), it's understandable if the translator can't get every nuance across. But, again, how hard could it be to find someone who does speak French?
If I came across that, I'd just leave the subtitles out entirely. If it's in a "third-party" language and foreign to the Japanese viewers, then the creators intended it to be "foreign." If the Japanese viewers don't get Japanese subtitles for the French/German/Italian/whatever content, I don't think entities translating to English are obligated to provide translations either.

I see both types of subs has having their positives and negatives:

Fansubs -
Positives:
(possibly) more dedication to that particular show
if the above is true, subs will be well-written and suited to the characters, contexts, etc.
avoid extreme over-localization, aside from some groups that over-localize just to troll people
More thorough translation of onscreen text

Negatives:
More mishearings, guesslations, or plain fabrications
More technical errors (spelling, grammar, usage)
In some cases -- under-localization, inundation with translation notes, overliteral/awkward writing that kills the energy of the show by being slavishly faithful to the spoken Japanese.
(sometimes) deliberate jokesubs, extraneous comments, or trolling.
Care more about being "aesthetic" or "fitting the anime" than about being readable.
Willing to clutter the screen with flashy but unnecessary content.
Wide range of quality, ranging from 1-10 on a 10-point scale.

Official subs
Positives:
Professionally done by qualified individuals
Have access to recording scripts and can get input from Japanese creators/producers, thus few/no mishearings/guesslations
Relatively few technical errors
Adequately localized for non-hardcore audiences
Designed for readability on any screen from almost any distance
No unprofessional comments/jokes
Narrower range of quality - a few outliers aside, pro subs will land between 6 and 9 on the 10-point scale.

Negatives:
Placement/styling can be excessive beyond what's needed for readability; overlarge subs can force simplification of content
Overlocalization (sometimes - obviously everyone has differing opinions on what constitutes acceptable localization)
Lack of attention/formatting for onscreen text
Lack of creativity/"spirit" in the writing -- subs can be accurately translated and free of technical errors, but still feel stilted or inappropriate for the content. As Ranma87 alleges, this may extend to translators only working from scripts and not actually seeing the content. (But then again, how would they translate onscreen text at all, in that situation?)
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:37 am Reply with quote
As has been said, translation is not an exact science. Taking something from one language and putting it in another can be rather tricky. Simple example: I cannot read Les Misérables in English translation having seen the original French, I disagree with the translation so much. This is why even books that have existed since antiquity still see revised translations published today. When translating something, aside from considering which words would best correspond to the original in your target language, one must consider how it would sound in the target language. To use another example from French, if someone in a show I was translating (hypothetical, I'm not a pro translator) said "Let's go." to his friends, I've got a couple of options. "Laissons nous aller." gives an exact translation, but sounds awkward to me. "Allons-y." gives roughly the same meaning, but might be too formal for the situation. "On y va." also gives roughly the same meaning, but could be too informal for the situation.

From a simple two word sentence, one can arrive at three different outcomes at the least for this example. You can imagine from this how imprecise it is translating for complex sentences in a way that satisfies everyone, and if it's something that includes slang words or wordplays and puns, you can probably guess how difficult it becomes to get it "exactly" right.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote
I once took a course on cross-cultural survey design where the issue of writing comparable questionnaires for use in different societies is obviously critical. One key method to examine comparability was to use two translators, one translating from the source to the target language, and another translating the resulting target questionnaire back into the source. Comparing the original with the retranslated result often uncovers important differences in meaning.

I'm sure fansub groups don't engage in this practice; usually they're hard pressed to find even one competent translator. But what about professionals? Do they ever engage in such "two-way" translations before releasing a DVD?

abunai wrote:
Translation depends not only on the translator having the ability to understand what is being said (both explicitly and implicitly) in the original; it also depends on the translator being able to express himself with sufficient skill in the language being translated to. To my mind, the latter is more of a problem than the former.

I so appreciate translators who are proficient in both languages. As an example, I'd point to Quarkboy's work on "Tatami Galaxy" currently being simulcasted by Funimation. Elsewhere he reported that a typical episode of this show runs about 4,500 words, compared with 1,500-2,000 for a typical anime episode. Despite the torrent of language in this show, his subtitles are routinely literate and grammatical. Unfortunately the trends abunai points to concerning the decline of vocabulary and grammar skills makes people like Quarkboy stand out all the more.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote
Some of the larger fansub groups have a second translator do proofreading/quality checking for the first, main translator. I haven't seen this practice in official subs yet, and plenty of cases where even simple proofwatching would have helped prevent some obvious translation mistakes. I guess hiring two people would make things too expensive.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
What's more interesting is that the official subbers don't do much better. I'm so used to gritting my teeth and sitting through another film with slapdash subtitles, it hardly seems unusual to me anymore. Official or fansub, I don't think I have ever seen an anime where I haven't, at some point or another, felt that the translators made an elementary-level mistake.

I aggree with this. I prefer subs, but I have to admit that when watching anime (or other foreign language media), one part of my brain is tasked with translating the words on screen into something more accurate (where I'm able to figure the original meaning), more eloquent and succinct, and more appropriate to the dramatic tone of the scene. I'm also bugged by retention of Japanese words in the subtitles, including but not limited to honorifics. Unless the original term is specifically relevant to the scene, just call people "Mr" and "Ms". It's supposed to be a translation, isn't it?

Ideally, a rewriting stage would follow the translation stage for anime subs, but that would cost money, and there's the question of how a person with poor writing skills will recognise a person with superior skills, or even see the need for one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2