• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 7th Pokemon Movie in February

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:03 am Reply with quote
for god's sake stop....that's all I have to say.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:38 am Reply with quote
Why should they? The fan base and popularity are certainly still there (though not quite as big as it used to be) and that's really all that matters. So what if you don't like Pokemon? I'm sure you'd be pissed if there was something you liked and people kept saying, Oh god, just kill it already. And besides, you're probably not even part of their demographic, you may as well be forming complains against Sesame Street.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:39 am Reply with quote
Just an easy question...Where? Japan or America?? (Because it's not mentioned on the news...) Sorry if this sounds silly Anime smile
biliano*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:48 am Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun wrote:
Just an easy question...Where? Japan or America?? (Because it's not mentioned on the news...) Sorry if this sounds silly Anime smile

They will probably release it in theaters in Japan and straight-to-DVD in America.

In addition, Deoxys is one of the best-looking Pokemon I've seen since Mewtwo, so at least Nintendo is still making the franchise interesting. It's suppose to have three forms.
cultnirvana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:56 pm Reply with quote
It was released in Japan in the cinemas last July, so Feburary would be around the right time for a DVD/VHS release. But from what it seems, it could be the North American release date as Pokemon Rocks was in Atlanta.

And, so what. Yeah, perhaps it's gone on a long time, but it's still a highly popular series, especially in Japan. I don't personally like , for instance, Dragonball, but I'd never say "for god's sake stop", as I don't like the thought of all the fans out there losing one of their favourite shows. You don't like it, well, who cares about your personal tastes other than you. It's not that hard to avoid something you personally do not enjoy. Let those out there who like it enjoy it.
IanC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:21 pm Reply with quote
and yet, still no sign of the UK release of 5 or 6
No way im impoting a P&S dvd from the US
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I agree Enough is Enough. Pokemon doens't have enough substance to warrant this much anime. Jesus christ, you see more plot variation on Antique's Roadshow.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why should they?

Basic economics. Its a misallocation of resources.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Quote:
Why should they?

Basic economics. Its a misallocation of resources.

Ha, bull shit. Basic economics thrive on supply and demand. If the demand for Pokemon wasn't still there then Nintendo would have axed it long ago. Yes, the fanbase has shrunk, but it's still substantial enough to keep the games at the top of the charts in Japan. Of course, with the popularity of the games they're going to do everything they can to make the fanbase happy, including giving them a cartoon to go with it.

And since when did Pokemon ever need engaging plots? It's the simplicity of the series and all series like it that keep the kids watching. The monster of the week formula has been successfull longer than we've been alive, it's a staple in kids entertainment and Pokemon pulls it off masterfully.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ha, bull shit. Basic economics thrive on supply and demand. If the demand for Pokemon wasn't still there then Nintendo would have axed it long ago. Yes, the fanbase has shrunk, but it's still substantial enough to keep the games at the top of the charts in Japan. Of course, with the popularity of the games they're going to do everything they can to make the fanbase happy, including giving them a cartoon to go with it.

LOL, I wasn't being literal in the money sense. Its a misalocation of anime studio resources that could be used to make something more interesting.

Quote:
And since when did Pokemon ever need engaging plots? It's the simplicity of the series and all series like it that keep the kids watching. The monster of the week formula has been successfull longer than we've been alive, it's a staple in kids entertainment and Pokemon pulls it off masterfully.

Kids today are weird. Pokemon is pretty wussy say compareed to Marvel Comics, Godzilla, G.I. Joe or whatever else I was eating up as a kid.
jet set radio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:56 pm Reply with quote
the only way pokemon can become popular again is by changing the charcter and give it a new plot.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I still like Pokemon. As far as shows meant for little kids, they do a pretty good job. I kind of miss the good ol' days when they would release the movies here in theatres.
The Mozz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The Hoenn "plot" arc will end at about ep 410, I think, which is about 35 more episodes. After that, maybe they'll ditch Satoshi and focus more on another new trainer, at least for a side arc.
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quote
You're on here, Mozz? I never would've guessed... Shocked

Hey, I still love Pokémon, and even though I am, for the most part, a very serious anime fan (who prefers dark, philosophical action anime for the most part), I will always have a sentimental spot for the Pocket Monsters.

From what I've heard, the 7th movie is fairly good, so I'm looking forward to it. In my humble opinion, the Pokémon movies do seem to improve every time, both in storytelling and in animation.

I don't mind if people diss Pokémon-- I'm easily able to understand that most people don't understand its charm. Heck, I can even kind of understand why. However, I know I will always be a Pokémon fan, because it was what introduced me to the world of anime. It's been with me for over half of my 16 years... I can't really imagine life without liking Pokémon.
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:10 pm Reply with quote
lol, if this keeps up, then they're gonna beat Dragonball Z's record of 13 movies! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2