• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Skip Beat! [Omnibus] GN 1-3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting ready to start picking these up. I finished the anime a few weeks ago and loved it, so seeing a positive review for the omnibus makes me happy.

The only problem is figuring out where to shelve it...
sakurablossoms23

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not much of a fan of shoujo but I like Skip Beat a lot, although the art could be improved. Glad to see it is being released as an omnibus.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's heavy in the hands (although with a very flexible spine that resists creasing),

I did look at the first couple Omnibi(?) this week while I was at a B&N and although it's well bound I might criticize them for being a bit "too light." The pages are not made up of thick paper at all, almost newsprint-thin thickness and it seems like they'd tear pretty easily. These aren't archival quality omnibuses to replace past volumes as much as bargain collections to encourage new readers with a $15 (suggested price) book of three volumes.

If you want to buy online I'd at least suggest looking at a physical copy at a brick and mortar store first to see what you're getting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Quote:
It's heavy in the hands (although with a very flexible spine that resists creasing),

I did look at the first couple Omnibi(?) this week while I was at a B&N and although it's well bound I might criticize them for being a bit "too light." The pages are not made up of thick paper at all, almost newsprint-thin thickness and it seems like they'd tear pretty easily. These aren't archival quality omnibuses to replace past volumes as much as bargain collections to encourage new readers with a $15 (suggested price) book of three volumes.

If you want to buy online I'd at least suggest looking at a physical copy at a brick and mortar store first to see what you're getting.

My copy survived a bike accident that left me with a facial facture with no damage to the pages other then a corner curling up a bit, even though the bag carrying it ripped and got hit by the bike.
the ominbus is fairly high quality, no need to worry about it getting damaged.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Quote:

For me the paper quality is fine. Yes it is thinner, otherwise the book just becomes way too unwieldy (see Viz Big editions). But it's nowhere near those tissue paper pages Tokyopop used for like 3 months where you could full-on see the art on the other side, to the point it interfered with reading the pages.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
It's the same stock as Hana Kimi's omnibi, right? I have a couple of those and they're alright, good enough for me anyway.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I think so; they're on the same release schedule, so I would assume they use the same paper. I don't have the Hana Kimi omnibus to compare though since I already have the singles.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quote
anyone want to talk about the actual volumes. I was hopping that maria's story would all be part of volume 3 but apparently it's not. and maria's is one of my favorite client based stories.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
Maria's story starts at the end of volume three, so I'm fairly sure the next omnibus will cover it. That is a good one; I'm also partial to the "Suddenly, A Love Story" arc.
blogs

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote
I'm not much of a fan of shoujo but I like Skip Beat a lot.
Eternal Lover

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
It's better then the Tokyopop paper for sure. At first i thought it was like that, but it's a bit better. And hey, i was paying $14+ for a manga with such a small width that i wanted to hit myself for being so stupid.

This kind of paper is not that bad. And it fits the price. 3 volumes for the price of one (in canada) with tax? It's a total buy.

I plan on buying the volumes i don't like in omnibus - while the ones i adore in the normal size. However, it really sucks when you already have a volume that is also included in the omnibus (i already have volume 3 :l )
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
Just to warn you, Viz may only just print the 1st 9 volumes in omnibus (I.e. 3 omnibuses). That tends to be their practice. I'm hoping they change that though.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
I really hope they keep going with the omnibus editions for this series, it's such an easy way to collect such a long series.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I really hope they keep going with the omnibus editions for this series, it's such an easy way to collect such a long series.

VIZ does publish Cross Games as an omnibus so I would hope their position has changed.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
st_owly wrote:

VIZ does publish Cross Games as an omnibus so I would hope their position has changed.

Isn't Cross Game a different type of omnibus, though? I think it's more like the Dragon Ball Z or Inuyasha omnibuses, which are over-sized and a lot heavier than any of their 3-in-1 releases. It seems like they have two styles of omnibus; the larger ones that continue for the entire series (VIZBIGs) and the smaller ones that apparently only cover the first 9 or so books (the 3-in-1's; ex. Skip Beat, FMA, Naruto). Even though I already have all of the volumes I want, I hope that they reconsider their plan with the 3-in-1's. It really is the simplest way for new readers to get into longer series, and lots of VIZ's series are getting into that range.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2