• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Cherry Tree High Comedy Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I'm a stickler for the original, too. I absolutely hated some of those 90s dubs where they'd change anime characters to American names and act like they're not in Japan.

Please enlighten me to the anime in the 90's that did this, because the only one I EVER remember doing so, was Gatchaman OVA, and that's only because of its previous incarnation "Battle of the Planets". Pretty sure that died for good in the Mid 80's but Cool

Sailor Moon? Yugioh? Pokemon (for the name part)?

Mew Mew Power, Magical Doremi were both into the 2000s even.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I'm a stickler for the original, too. I absolutely hated some of those 90s dubs where they'd change anime characters to American names and act like they're not in Japan.

Please enlighten me to the anime in the 90's that did this, because the only one I EVER remember doing so, was Gatchaman OVA, and that's only because of its previous incarnation "Battle of the Planets". Pretty sure that died for good in the Mid 80's but Cool

well of course those shows tried to appeal the dying girl fan-base in america and failed. Hell did they even air all of Tokyo mew mew or drop it half way? That aside as previously stated I highly think that there will be fan trans patch of this out.

To answer the guys question you can buy the game here it will be coming to steam soon so i will wait for steam's release.
http://cherrytreehigh.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
If its on Steam, then I'll just buy it when its at its inevitable 2.49 deal.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
I can sympathize with keeping the original names and places to a certain point, but...

RyanSaotome wrote:

Jelly Filled Donuts... I refuse to let this go. In any case, I believe card captor sakura was also a victim of strict localization. I'm not against changes during localization (admittedly, nintendo does an amazing job with it) but unusually zealous localization makes me flinch a bit. I'm a big boy, I can handle names from a language with an alphabet based on phonetics and I can fathom the concept of a story taking place outside of my local area, or country for that matter.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Wait, this is completely localized? Lame, I guess I'll pass on this. There is little I hate more in terms of Japanese stuff then changing the entire meaning of the game/anime by changing names, location, culture, etc.

So, this is like Atlus's crowning achievement in localization, Persona 1 on the PSX? I thought we were past this in 2012.

Did they change any of the characters to a black person?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

how about something that is not being aimed at 8 year old kids on saturday morning by a zombie (waits for the hate)
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:10 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
So, this is like Atlus's crowning achievement in localization, Persona 1 on the PSX?

More like Capcom's crowning achievement, Phoenix Wright.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
superdry wrote:
So, this is like Atlus's crowning achievement in localization, Persona 1 on the PSX?

we have a winner
TC-man

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:27 am Reply with quote
Well, this kind of localizing/westernizing of the game, e.g. changing names, locations and other contents, looks like the localizing company really wants to hide the fact that this is a Japanese game, but the graphical style suggests otherwise. Maybe they are hoping that a lot more people will buy this game if people do not know this was originally a Japanese game with Japanese puns, locations, people and culture. The whole club thing is Japanese, then why hide it? It's like the people for localizing the game do not even have the confidence that the game will sell for its original contents, so they change things here and there in the hope that a lot non-anime fans will buy it. But people who buy this game are particularly people who do know at least a bit about Japanese culture including manga and anime. So the attempt to harbor/gather "newcomers/non-fans", who actually won't buy these kind of games in the first place, won't succeed, simply because the anime graphics style. Instead the localizing company is neglecting the fans who wanted to play the original in English.

Sorry, but all these westernizing sound way too xenophobic to me, and all these changes look like censoring to me. Of course we want more of these rare games from Japan here, but these attempts are "killing" them, because almost nobody want to buy it now; fans won't because the westernization and newcomers/non-fans won't because of the anime ("weird") graphical style and type of game/gameplay. Perhaps only for people who are desperate to see these games here in the west and wanting to show their support for localizing companies, but in the end they are not getting the games they actually wanted, instead they only get the overly westernized versions of the original games in which you won't learn anything about Japan and its (sub)culture.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
TC-man wrote:

Sorry, but all these westernizing sound way too xenophobic to me, and all these changes look like censoring to me. Of course we want more of these rare games from Japan here, but these attempts are "killing" them, because almost nobody want to buy it now; fans won't because the westernization and newcomers/non-fans won't because of the anime ("weird") graphical style and type of game/gameplay. Perhaps only for people who are desperate to see these games here in the west and wanting to show their support for localizing companies, but in the end they are not getting the games they actually wanted, instead they only get the overly westernized versions of the original games in which you won't learn anything about Japan and its (sub)culture.

When you're are talking abouth the West, you mean the rest of the world or the U.S. in mind? Confused
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
So much weeaboo in here, so much.

Quote:

It's a game, who the hell expects to learn anything from it?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
So much weeaboo in here, so much.

Quote:

It's a game, who the hell expects to learn anything from it?

I learned about tanabata star festival from one of the latest visual novels I am playing through...games can teach you just need to sneak the material in a creative way chagen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
midnighteve

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
superdry wrote:

we have a winner

Really? We're bringing the hate to PW now? You do know that the names in Japanese were puns as well, right? It only makes sense to localize them since we'd be missing a layer of the comedy otherwise! And at least there was thought put into it, unlike those terrible names from Time Hollow that were number puns. Now THAT's a localization that I didn't understand cause I didn't remember a number scheme being all that important in that game. (But it still didn't damper my enjoyment of the game.)

Back to the game at hand, it sounds like the game is poking fun at itself for that (what I inferred from the shine maiden comment above) and it souns like a fun ilttle quirky game that might not have made it out herre normally. So, I think I'll check it out when I get the time (mostly likely when it hits Steam.)
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to play this game, but unfortunately it's only available for Windows, and I use Linux.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
I'd love to play this game, but unfortunately it's only available for Windows, and I use Linux.

what distro i have messed around a bit and it's getting easier to run 32 bit games in liniux
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3