• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Aims to Sell 16 Million Consoles, 16 Million Portables This Year

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlamingLight

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
For their sake, they better see that many sell at the least.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
They're projecting a decrease in console sales? Interesting.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
They're projecting a decrease in console sales? Interesting.

Well I think its getting to the point where PS2 sales should be almost dead, so thats not a surprise to me. If PS2 sales are half what they were last year, and PS3 sells about the same, they'd hit that 16 mil mark.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
They desperately need the money (Sony reports record loss $5.7 billion), and consoles sales have been decreasing, so their main hope are the handhelds.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they're still selling the PS2. I'm assuming it's mostly for game compatibility.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex fans better hope they do or else the cost of their anime is going to go from worse to even more worse.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
GhostShell wrote:
I'm surprised they're still selling the PS2. I'm assuming it's mostly for game compatibility.

Uh... no.
We're so late in the PS3 console life that compatibility is no longer an issue.
Should never have been to begin with!
Sony and MS were the ones to start this backwards compatibility nonsense and that REALLY worked out well with both their systems this past generation!!!!

It's not even going to be a possibility next generation what with completely different CPUs and graphic processors than this generation. Software emulation for PS3 games just isn't going to be practical... Gamers are also proving they'll pay to own the same old PS2 games in revamped, Blu ray/HD re-releases.

The thing is that systems don't get introduced at the same time around the world. That's a more recent development.

As late as 1999, systems were still getting introduced in the US and Europe up to at least a year after Japanese launch.

Nowadays, the Japan/US launches are closer together and Europe follows a few months later. HOWEVER, other parts of the world may not see releases of the same console for years!

The PS2 is newer in other parts of the world and there's still a small trickle of new games and re-releases in those areas (Third World, South America, etc.). The PS2 was launched in a few of those areas just 2-3 years ago.

PS2 is also still wildly popular in other parts of the world where's it been around far longer -- Asia especially. Not everybody has joined the bandwagon to upgrade to the latest generation of consoles and NONE of these systems has sold as well as the PS2 did.

The used game market for PS2 also cannot be underestimated. It's still huge even in the US. Granted, some gamestores stopped selling new PS2 console units but you can still pick newer-production consoles up at Toys 'R Us, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart.

I myself bought a new PS2 last year... It was one of the SingStar bundles. It was reduced in price and I snapped it up as a back-up unit and also for the fact that I wanted a ceramic white system! I've never been a huge fan of the console trend towards black, stereo-like component coloring. Japan gets all the neat colors but it's way too expensive (starting $400 new) to import a Japanese PS3 for one stupid color!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1