• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Poke-Maughan The Movie 2000

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
ljaesch wrote:
These are also kid-friendly, but could potentially be a stretch for preschoolers: Pokemon, Kirby Right Back At Ya!, Hamtaro (this one's probably harder to come by these days), and Sonic X.

Only the edited 4Kids dub versions of those shows, though. The originals.. not so much.

Pocket Monsters originally had lots of sexual instances and violence
Kirby of the Stars as well. (]Here's one of the more amusing scenes)
Hamtaro having arcs about death and some sexual stuff.
Sonic X as well, plus Sonic clearly saying "Shit" and other funny Engrish swears was amusing.

So as long as they're the 4Kids dubs, I guess they're okay.

Please stop trying to convince yourself that Pokemon is anything over than a little kid's show.

Seriously, dude. It's a kid's cartoon.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Since when did I say different? I was saying those shows are not (American) kid friendly, not that they weren't children's anime.

It's just in Japan what constitutes material appropriate to kids is different. That's the difference between giving your child Fullmetal Alchemist and Little Bear. It's kind of an important trait to remember when it comes to recommending anime for kids.
Sceleris

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
can i ask a question is this show related to homeless child remy which is about orphan girl?

You can, you did, and it is! Sans Famille is an 1878 French novel about the boy Remi and his heartrending misadventures. 1977 saw Ie Naki Ko ("Homeless Child"), the Japanese animated series based on the novel, produced by TMS, and in 1980 they made a movie version (51 episodes cut into 90 minutes -- I assume) with the same name, a movie that was sold in Europe in the early 1980's and seen by Tim Maughan.

Now, what you are talking about is Ie Naki Ko Remi ("Homeless Child Remi"), which is just another adaption of the novel, made in 1996 by Nippon Animation -- this time, however, Remi (or "Remy") is a girl for some reason.

To me, the 1996 version seems a little weak: Remi the girl even gets to ride a cart, and not walk through France until her shoes fall apart! Neither does it compare favorably to the 1977 version in visuals: there, Dezaki had the image move in foreground and background in several layers simultaneously (I think they had as many photographers as animators), so it's a incredibly vivid picture -- it just looks amazing! Add to that the great Sugino design and...

...Uh, sorry. So, yeah. They are related.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
ljaesch wrote:
These are also kid-friendly, but could potentially be a stretch for preschoolers: Pokemon, Kirby Right Back At Ya!, Hamtaro (this one's probably harder to come by these days), and Sonic X.

Only the edited 4Kids dub versions of those shows, though. The originals.. not so much.

Pocket Monsters originally had lots of sexual instances and violence
Kirby of the Stars as well. (]Here's one of the more amusing scenes)
Hamtaro having arcs about death and some sexual stuff.
Sonic X as well, plus Sonic clearly saying "Shit" and other funny Engrish swears was amusing.

So as long as they're the 4Kids dubs, I guess they're okay.

Please stop trying to convince yourself that Pokemon is anything over than a little kid's show.

Seriously, dude. It's a kid's cartoon.

yeah it is but it doesn't stop people talking about censors and the way things where handled with the ip because they where afraid of offending people.

Card Captor Sakura is show meant for girls 7-14 and they completely changed it over it by trying to make the male li the main lead, cutting off 40 epiosdes that where relevant to the plot and destroying a series that they had to do complete re-release/dub from genon.

Sceleris wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
can i ask a question is this show related to homeless child remy which is about orphan girl?

You can, you did, and it is! Sans Famille is an 1878 French novel about the boy Remi and his heartrending misadventures. 1977 saw Ie Naki Ko ("Homeless Child"), the Japanese animated series based on the novel, produced by TMS, and in 1980 they made a movie version (51 episodes cut into 90 minutes -- I assume) with the same name, a movie that was sold in Europe in the early 1980's and seen by Tim Maughan.

Now, what you are talking about is Ie Naki Ko Remi ("Homeless Child Remi"), which is just another adaption of the novel, made in 1996 by Nippon Animation -- this time, however, Remi (or "Remy") is a girl for some reason.

To me, the 1996 version seems a little weak: Remi the girl even gets to ride a cart, and not walk through France until her shoes fall apart! Neither does it compare favorably to the 1977 version in visuals: there, Dezaki had the image move in foreground and background in several layers simultaneously (I think they had as many photographers as animators), so it's a incredibly vivid picture -- it just looks amazing! Add to that the great Sugino design and...

...Uh, sorry. So, yeah. They are related.

okay thanks i was wondering about because there is fan-sub group doing a release of the series over time in decent DVD quailty. It sounded so familiar that i just needed to check with some one, i don't think I find the older version from the 70/80's so this version that is coming out will do ^^ again thinks for the heads up.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Sat May 12, 2012 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
For anime that really need fully realized and fleshed out series, Please Save My Earth certainly came to mind, but so did Battle Angel Alita, Bastard, The Weathering Continent, The Seven Cities Story, The Five Star Stories, and Bastard!!. The early 90s certainly had a ton of material that got quick little snippets of OVAs, but really could use some remakes.
Botan24

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Yea! Tim is in on this one!

Hmm...add me to the small list of people who actually enjoyed Planetes. And also to the weird demographic who is a newer anime fan (less than five years), but still likes older stuff. I'm talking nineties, and 00's. I don't think I've seen any eighties anime besides Ghibli. Some of my favorite series are "vintage"...i.e. Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Outlaw Star, and Yu Yu Hakusho. So there you have it.

The clips of Tenchi's dad had me in stitches! I thought the dub acting was bad in Virus Buster Serge, but there is always a new low.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:

I thought the dub acting was bad in Virus Buster Serge, but there is always a new low.

Case in point: Psychic Wars.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
Yea! Tim is in on this one!

Hmm...add me to the small list of people who actually enjoyed Planetes. And also to the weird demographic who is a newer anime fan (less than five years), but still likes older stuff. I'm talking nineties, and 00's. I don't think I've seen any eighties anime besides Ghibli. Some of my favorite series are "vintage"...i.e. Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Outlaw Star, and Yu Yu Hakusho. So there you have it.

The clips of Tenchi's dad had me in stitches! I thought the dub acting was bad in Virus Buster Serge, but there is always a new low.

Planetes is just so good, one of the first entries to my collection. I also can identify with your being a newer fan into older stuff. I do like me some 80s stuff, though. Also, I think it's nice to know where the roots are.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
For anime that really need fully realized and fleshed out series, Please Save My Earth certainly came to mind, but so did Battle Angel Alita, Bastard, The Weathering Continent, The Seven Cities Story, The Five Star Stories, and Bastard!!. The early 90s certainly had a ton of material that got quick little snippets of OVAs, but really could use some remakes.

Bastard!!: So Nice It Deserves Being Mentioned Twice.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
No, it doesn't (and, yes, I've seen the original version.)

The first episode alone had that kind of stuff removed. And Kasumi's original promiscuous personality is pretty much neutered in the dub from the get go.

Pr-promiscuous!? That's not a word which applies to 12 year olds. She gets crushes, like any normal kid.

The only thing cut from the first episode is Kasumi slapping Satoshi. Otherwise, the edits are text replacement and rescoring the BGM.
Botan24

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Botan24 wrote:

I thought the dub acting was bad in Virus Buster Serge, but there is always a new low.

Case in point: Psychic Wars.

Yeah? Its that bad? Maybe I'll have to dig up some clips online, just for fun, ya know. Wink Regarding other bad dubs...anything 4kids puts out is pretty awful. Like their re-versioning of Tokyo Mew Mew.

infiltration.cru wrote:
Planetes is just so good, one of the first entries to my collection. I also can identify with your being a newer fan into older stuff. I do like me some 80s stuff, though. Also, I think it's nice to know where the roots are.

May I ask how long you've been interested in anime? In any case, glad to see another Planetes fan. I think too many people were like, "garbage men in space? WTF?" and didn't even give it a go. Personally, the premise didn't set my heart on fire, but most anime synopsis don't. Take Cowboy Bebop: its bounty hunters in space, set to jazz. I only watched it because my husband (who's hasn't even completed the series) recommended it to me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Bastard!!: So Nice It Deserves Being Mentioned Twice.

I hadn't even realized. But really, that manga absolutely needs to be redone as anime. The dark themes and awesome protagonist are just perfect for anime today, totally something Madhouse could put out.
Rigamortis-chan

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
If Zac wanted to be on suicide watch watching 90s anime he'd watch Now and Then, Here and There
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Pr-promiscuous!? That's not a word which applies to 12 year olds. She gets crushes, like any normal kid.

I'm not referring to crushes (whichever ones she had, I don't recall her ever liking a guy in the original) She routinely refers to herself as sexy and her appearance when it's brought up, as well as her general attitude. Along with Takeshi being a huge creeper, (why do you think the characters get so upset if "Brock" just calls girls pretty? Because he's originally asking stuff like if they're 18 yet so he can do something to them like Glenn Quagmire on Family Guy, which is much more understandable why they'd get angry with him) None of the characters are like their original counterparts at all.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
No, it doesn't (and, yes, I've seen the original version.)

The first episode alone had that kind of stuff removed. And Kasumi's original promiscuous personality is pretty much neutered in the dub from the get go.

The only thing cut from the first episode is Kasumi slapping Satoshi. Otherwise, the edits are text replacement and rescoring the BGM.

no matter if you want to admit it or not kasumi was the first tsundere that a lot of us grew to love with out really knowing it. Yes she was on that side of curious but ya know "america sex is bad, root of all evil, burn in hell etc" so any innuendo is cut out lol. Hell maybe i was doomed to be nerd from the get go because kasumi/misty was first legit anime crush lol when I was 12
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6