• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viki Streams Koutetsu Sangokushi, Don Dracula With English Subtitles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
"All eight episodes of the Don Dracula television anime are streaming with English subtitles." Wish I hadn't payed money to get this translated months ago. I just didn't think this would EVER be licensed and legally translated. Oh well... was only 50$.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
You know, back when The Answer Man was asking for answers to the question of how to deal with piracy in anime and manga (question posed 01/13/12, answers published 01/20/12), I submitted a letter, that wasn't printed in the column, but I put it in the discussion forum anyway (You can read it here.). In the letter, I proposed using "Letters of Marque" to combat piracy, making an allusion, of debatable wit, to the historical system that had been used in the, then, brand new anime series Bodacious Space Pirates. The basic idea is for the content creators to build, or authorize the building of, a web-site that would host fan-translated material and take advantage of the free labor that the fan community is already putting into localizing their products. Here we are, just a couple of months later, and it seems that Viki already had the idea, but, in a way, improved on it. They aren't taking the actual streams from the fans, they are streaming the legal original language video. They are simply allowing the fans to provide localization for the videos.

Now I wish they would increase their catalog to include more of the older anime that is either not licensed or lapsed, and negotiate for the newer shows, like Hyouka, that have slipped through the (thankfully) very small gaps in the modern simulcast net of Crunchyroll, Viz, Funico, and Sentai/TAN! However, as I said in the letter, the production companies that are not releasing their shows for simulcast are frequently working on an outdated business model that fails to recognize the advantage in terms of later home media sales that exposure via legal streaming provides. They are precisely the least likely companies to allow their titles to be presented with crowd sourced subtitles!
Bamble

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
"All eight episodes of the Don Dracula television anime are streaming with English subtitles." Wish I hadn't payed money to get this translated months ago. I just didn't think this would EVER be licensed and legally translated. Oh well... was only 50$.

Took a quick look at Don Dracula, and the Viki subs appear to be based directly on the fansubs anyway.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
Took a quick look at Don Dracula, and the Viki subs appear to be based directly on the fansubs anyway.

Sadly, those fansubs aren't that great to begin with. It gets the message across but the grammar is pretty bad.
I wish Viki video's weren't interlaced though... they look pretty bad, at least for Don Dracula. Still, MUCH better then Funi or Crunchy: I'm not region locked.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I might be the one and only person most interested in the fact that they've got Hakugei: The Legend of Moby Dick. Was wondering how well they executed the sci-fi trappings there...

This expansion is a good thing & I hope it's just the beginning of many, many new anime going legitimately digital that I've never heard of before.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
ViKi has pages for the following but they show Not Found when you click on them, just click TV at the top and set the genre filter to anime, they are in the results:

Kimba the White Lion
Muramasa
Peeping Life
Pokemon (Japanese)
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

As long as they asked for permission to use those fansubs, that's fine. Its not creation of fan translations that interferes with the original creator's rights, its the distribution of a derivative work without permission of the original creator. If the fansub creators approve of the subtitles being uploaded under a Creative Commons license, and the original creators approve it being streamed with Creative Commons licensed crowd-sourced translation, that fixes the problem.

If people think that the translations are a bit rough (and I've seen enough of the k-dramas that it turns out had crowdsourced subtitles to know that sometimes they will be a bit rough), they always have the option of joining Viki.com and fixing it. It may require letting the channel manager know what the problem is if the translation has been locked in place.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kimba the White Lion
Muramasa
Peeping Life
Pokemon (Japanese)

WHAT?!?! POKEMON IN JAPANESE?!?!?! Thou must show me this!!! I want to see this!!!
Tratious

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I know it's kinda late, but the animation studio for Saki is not Pure Magic, it's Picture Magic
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1