• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Netflix Violation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Though I have to say, newer fans are far more guilty of Average Mainstream Consumer "this doesn't completely fill my TV screen, so I don't like it" Syndrome when it comes to older 4:3 anime. Portable DVD player and borrowed laptops aside, I watch everything on 4:3 screens, and I've never once thought, "This show is 16:9, I don't feel like watching it."

Since you are so goddamn stuck on this topic, let me tell you why I don't like 4:3 shows. I have a plasma TV. You know what plasmas are vulnerable to? Image burn. So that off-black color created by the pillars on the side will fudge with my TV if I don't refresh my screen. Whenever I watch my YYH BDs, I typically watch a whole disc at a time, which is either 8 or 9 episodes, or about 3-4 hours. During that time, if I don't flip the screen every so often, when I cut the disc off, BLAM, little pink bubbles flutter on the side of my TV and there's slight, pillar-sized residue left on my screen that takes a good while to disappear. Luckily it doesn't stick there forever, but it happens. I actually have a slight image of my mute sign stuck in the bottom right corner of my screen since I used to just mute my TV instead of doing what I do now - flip to the AV channel to the blue screen.

That's why I don't like 4:3. And I'm letting you know this since you're so dead set on bringing up whenever you feel like whining, and you've probably never thought of it because you're too busy whining. There are good reasons people don't like 4:3, even though I, personally, think "not liking it" is a good enough reason, or at least not enough to nag about it. Don't worry, I hate that top and bottom cropping shit too in case you thought I might be a hypocrite. And don't even get me started on that crap release Manga put out for End of Eva where it's 4:3 and cropped on top, so there's, like, three inches of black bars all around the screen.

TV stations that leave up a bold, solid logo are obnoxious, too. Along with ESPN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

The ensuing shitstorm almost resulted in a mass ban and threats of legal action.

Whoa!! I would've loved to read that, especially that it got as far into legal threats! How it started though is pretty amusing though...

Myaow wrote:
While I do love the currently-stylish anime aesthetics, I think that a lot of older anime is absolutely beautiful to look at.

I enjoy it too! I actually enjoy the art era of late 80s/early 90s of when groups like CLAMP drew guys' hair resembling David Bowie from Labyrinth. I like the style back then, and I love the old watercolour covers of the tankouban. Of course, I appreciate different art styles, and not every anime fan is really into that.

TitanXL wrote:

Likewise people who always claim the original Pocket Monsters was the best. No.. no it's really not. Diamond & Pearl, Best Wishes, and even Advanced Generation run circles around it in terms of pacing, characterization, and story.

The original is super nostalgic, and I enjoy watching it for that. Of course back then, there was little continuity to the actual game... Now, it actually follows the rule of the game. It's its own take, but I do find Best Wishes! enjoyable to watch now. Especially in terms of story.

Haterater wrote:
It makes me wonder if newer fans does the same thing with other mediums or is it just an anime thing? Older books, live-action, music, etc. Seems strange to me if one just sticks to new when released shows and won't even touch a two year old show. I like old and new alike as long as its something I'm interested in.

I think things like movies can be different. Disney animated features for example seem to be timeless. Sure, the kids of today really enjoy the CG of Pixar etc. but the classic movies still seem to appeal to kids of today (unless it's just big kids like me picking up the blu rays?)
Live-action movies as well can be timeless. Well, it depends how far back it goes. Not everyone can enjoy movies from the 20's-60's, but 70's-90's seem to hold up even now. How many people can say that things like Star Wars and Jurassic Park are "too old" for them?

Last edited by Sheleigha on Fri May 11, 2012 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I am going to have to seriously disagree with your assessment of Tenchi Muyo. Honestly there has not been a harem since that has done the genre better. Tenchi Muyo has the most character development and depth I have seen amongst the girls, throws in some fairly interesting complex elements like political intrigue and some more philosophical issues with the whole can the gods create a being greater than themselves. The show took controvesial topics and presented them in such a way as to make people not bat an eye, incest anyone. Today you make a show and they are step siblings and people have an aneurism, Aeka and Yosho were siblings going to be married, and Tenchi and Aeka/Sasami are nephew and grand aunt. Not to mention Tenchi actually did what a harem is supposed to do, left you guessing as to who would win, there are honestly only a couple of anime shows where I don't know the pairing from the opening intro. And going by the name Tenchi is one of the few shows that actually is a harem, with a harem ending (if you take into account secondary source or go with gxp).

I love Infinite Stratos, To Love Ru, High School DxD, and Zombie Desu, as I think these are the shows who come the closest to emulating a true harem like Tenchi, but other than updated art style I don't think they are any better.

And for God's Sake, terrible animation, really, I consider terrible animation to be something like crayon shin chan, older anime do not look bad, its just a different art style.

I mean your comments are rather off putting, to tell you the truth. What if I said astro boy, that's real garbage or any number of classic works. You have to respect works for what they did to further the medium and look at them in their context. I mean its like saying, stupid vikings using swords and axes, we have guns and missiles, because clearly these are more effective means. A finely crafted sword is no less a master piece of weaponry. I don't punish something in the past for something that was not possible. Epic of Gilgamesh is no lesser a work than say War and Peace. Fans of literary work could appreciate this, not your twilight readers but fans of literature.

Last point, Crest of the Stars says hi. I don't know in what context you meant there has not been anything LoGH, but other than length that is fairly on point. Or I don't know, say Gundam, you know you ever watched Gundam before.

And Masion Ikkoku its been done as well, not exactly identical but close enough; in fact ever show probably has several shows that they can be compared to.

hmm we have some similar taste then on the harem aspects but let me ask you this what about the anime adaption for yousga no sora? Yes that is still a harem anime however it dove down into territory that I think people are not really comfortable talking about.

on subject well when you get older you really stop caring for x series as much unless it's proven to be different from the others. Stein's;gate and To aru No Index can fall into a harem sub genre if they want to however it has stronger things driving it.

Now I will admit to being a jaded prick now since I avoid most harem, sol, romance or mecha anime unless they can take the material and surprise me. MGX is a perfect example of taking the tired old cliches throwing them out the window then spitting on them "drool/spit joke was intended'

Aye there I go rambling again let me say this I am twenty six years old and I have never seen any of slayers. No ova's, movies or specials. This might offend some and i have seen over 400 series/movies/ovas check my list. Is slayers really worth watching?? Am I really missing out on anything?? Or is i just a generic mystical adventure show?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Aye there I go rambling again let me say this I am twenty six years old and I have never seen any of slayers. No ova's, movies or specials. This might offend some and i have seen over 400 series/movies/ovas check my list. Is slayers really worth watching?? Am I really missing out on anything?? Or is i just a generic mystical adventure show?

I enjoy it, but I don't love it. I own all of its releases though because I enjoyed it that much at least (and well, ended up getting them all at really good sale prices) and I really like the op/end songs that Hayashibara sings.

It's worth a look I'd say, if you're up for watching a fantasy comedy, and at least try to go through the first season. If you have Netflix, I think the first 3 seasons are on there.

Also, the movies I don't find that great, and are mostly all prequels (as are the OVAs).
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

The ensuing shitstorm almost resulted in a mass ban and threats of legal action.

Whoa!! I would've loved to read that, especially that it got as far into legal threats! How it started though is pretty amusing though...

* OP wants recommendations on recent fantasy anime. says he doesn't like the older anime cause "it's sh**."
* One poster mentions Record of Lodoss War. Oh, and the OP needs to commit seppuku for not honoring Lodoss in proper respect. (The wording was done tongue in cheek.)
* Other people agree with the Lodoss poster and begin to complain about how close minded the OP was.
* Other (younger) posters then begin to attack the Pro-Lodoss folks and counter that anything old is crap.
* Cue generation war here.
* Mods demand that the thread go civil or people will get the banhammer.
* OP attacks guy who suggested he commit seppuku and threatens legal action against him.
* Mods close and delete thread before it goes nuclear.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I think things like movies can be different. Disney animated features for example seem to be timeless. Sure, the kids of today really enjoy the CG of Pixar etc. but the classic movies still seem to appeal to kids of today (unless it's just big kids like me picking up the blu rays?)
Live-action movies as well can be timeless. Well, it depends how far back it goes. Not everyone can enjoy movies from the 20's-60's, but 70's-90's seem to hold up even now. How many people can say that things like Star Wars and Jurassic Park are "too old" for them?

The main difference is that stuff that isn't anime is shown to younger audiences before they can really start feeling that something is "too old" to them. Disney's traditionally-animated movies were seen by a generation of kids, who then grew up and showed the movies to their kids, who then grew up and showed the movies to their kids, etc. There's also the fact that companies like Disney don't really do traditional animation anymore, so that allows their well-known animated movies to remain well-known; there's nothing new to take the attention away. CG is different enough to make traditional animation, even if it's an older production, be a valid option for people to check out.

As for live-action, you really can't do too much in terms of increasing visual quality, since you can't really improve on actual things for film. Sure, the film got better throughout the years, then digital came around, and now we have High-Definition, but the most that will do, on a basic level, is increase the color-quality and crispness of the picture. Sure, older movies won't look exactly like movies do nowadays, but there's nothing too different to make them not want to check it out... Unless you want to bring up black-&-white films.

Really, younger/newer anime fans not wanting to check out older (or even 4:3) anime is more like people not wanting to watch B&W productions. One can talk all about how stuff like Casablanca or Citizen Kane are classics, but there will be a lot of people who will never watch them because they are B&W films, and that's it. It's similar to how you now have people who won't watch anime from the early-to-mid-00s and before because they look older, and that's it.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Really, younger/newer anime fans not wanting to check out older (or even 4:3) anime is more like people not wanting to watch B&W productions. One can talk all about how stuff like Casablanca or Citizen Kane are classics, but there will be a lot of people who will never watch them because they are B&W films, and that's it. It's similar to how you now have people who won't watch anime from the early-to-mid-00s and before because they look older, and that's it.

I'll actually admit that I have a tough time watching black and white movies. But I don't think it's a good comparison, because there are black and white animes out there too. Comparing black and white live-action is the same to its anime conterpart, but comparing and older movie from the 60s, 70s, etc. is similar to comparing 'older' anime from the 80s and 90s, etc.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I love that I can easily go from watching old mecha anime to today's moe-est and fanservicey harem anime without batting an eye. Sure some old anime might have older forms of storytelling or character writing, but the same can said for poorly written anime these days. The biggest change in anime is that digital animation made it cheaper, thus more things could get made. Most of the same cliches, tropes, and concepts remain the same.

The other change that I constantly like to bring up is that older anime need not feel old anymore when BluRays start coming out. Taking Patlabor for example, some episodes look like they could have come right from the late 80s in the depth of art and number of unique cells, almost any of the episodes where the military Helldivers or the Ingrams have to confront the Griffon are like that. Once you remove that layer of "old" from the visuals, and hopefully the audio gets some updating, what really separates it from newer anime aside from art style? Of course, having a good budget plays heavily into that. Old shows that feature mostly still shots and pans like Kimagure Orange Road aren't going to be any more interesting in HD.

The aspect ratio argument is stupid. That has ZERO bearing to the show being presented. If you want to make the BS argument that it's not filling your TV, well, what about most Hollywood films in 2.39:1? That's certainly not going to fill your TV either unless you bought one of those really wide TVs. And even then, BDs are mostly letterboxed to 16:9, so you'd still have a few scaling issues.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Every new younger generation thinks what is new on the market is the newest, freshest thing ever done...but of course you have no context at all to make such a claim unless you have seen a lot that came before you.

I find it a bit amusing on this new vs. old debate, because a lot of what I see as "new" is reshashing very very tired worn out material. Even if it is a smoother looking production than older shows, let's not delude ourselves and start saying newer material has revolutionized & improved story telling. People have known how to write great stories before any of us were born. It is not a new invention. We can all see a mix of coolness & total duds in new shows, just like there always has been in any era. And quite frankly at any given moment there are new shows being created that are nothing but a mix of every anime cliche someone could think of, put in a blender, then abra cadabra - a new anime show is created.

Watch what you want to, because this is all just for fun...but I strongly think people are closing themselves off to what might be a fun entertainment experience by looking at dates on a title. If a story looks interesting to you, check it out & forget about irrelevent things like when the show was made. Because it truely is irrelevent if the show is great.

I myself have in rotation older shows on Netflix, newer shows streaming from other sites like Hulu, Crunchy, and everything in between from new to old on disc. I can honestly say I do not see any era having better or worse shows overall, as there is always a mix of great, average, and poor at any moment of time. Maybe because I do not carry any preconcieved notions or baggage when selecting a title, I can see many shows were good in the past and they are good now.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
And let's be honest, most of Bebop's flare comes from the fact it was one of the first 'adult anime' you watched. You were a little kid who grew up on DBZ and other Toonami stuff, then Adult Swim premiers and suddenly "Wow, cool adult anime.. with more blood and action! I've never seen anything like this before"

But all those revolve around nostalgia. And as we all know, you can't argue against someone's nostalgia. It's an argument you can't win.

Except I wasn't a little kid who grew up on DBZ, and Cowboy Bebop wasn't one of the first "adult' anime I watched. I was a little kid who grew up on Speed Racer, never knowing that it was anime, and decades later stumbled on Neon Genesis when it was airing on SBS in Australia, in the decade I was working in Newcastle, Australia, and got into anime when I came back to the US.

From that 2007 list of top ten Anime, I watched Akira and Scrapped Princess and Ghost in the Shell and Planetes before I got to Cowboy Bebop.

But I am a SF fan, and like classic noir detective movies, and like jazz, so, really, what are the odds I wouldn't like Cowboy Bebop? The nostalgia element there is nostalgia for the classic space opera SF of the 40's, 50's and 60's which I consumed voraciously in the 70's, not nostalgia for anime I wasn't watching in my 30's when it originally aired.

TitanXL wrote:
Anime is great in you have 40+ shows a season to choose from. So in that regard, no, there's no huge reason you should have to go back to watch older stuff. Unless you're on a nostalgia binge or want to find shows of a specific genre (i.e. watching all the sci-fi anime you can, so you grab stuff from now back to the 60s) Or you just want to check out some shows you've heard about.

But if you are not into the genres that dominate the season, easily 30 of those can be set aside. If you prefer the series to be available on a Roku channel or a working Android app, that ten might be cut down to 6 to 8 that are easily accessible.

That leaves lots of time when not marathoning the season of some live action series to marathon a selection of old catalog titles.

The King of Harts wrote:
... Since you are so goddamn stuck on this topic, let me tell you why I don't like 4:3 shows. I have a plasma TV. You know what plasmas are vulnerable to? Image burn. So that off-black color created by the pillars on the side ...

So why aren't you using a BD player with a true black letterbox display option? Was this an issue of spending so much on the TV that you couldn't afford the proper BD player to go with it?

Last edited by agila61 on Fri May 11, 2012 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Chiming in on the age thing, I'm in college now and have a lot of friends (also college-aged) who are casual anime fans (they love to watch it and will marathon shows but it's not all they watch) but most of the stuff they watch is random, mid-200s properties, ie stuff you can find easily on Netflix. Which makes me wonder if this also has to do with convenience, I've seen some older titles but all of the ones I had to hunt down online (versus finding at a local library) has been a bit of a pain and I can see why people wouldn't want to go to that trouble if they can find something newer online without any trouble and legally.

$0.02
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Having been in this hobby for 10+ years now, and having watched a large selection of shows from the late 70s through today, I really do think that I enjoy "new" anime far more than "old" anime.

Every season I find something new to like, at least once a year I find something new to LOVE. There are literally dozens of new shows starting every three months.

While there are certainly lots of older shows I love (and many of my favorites are getting pretty old as it is, Nanoha turns 8 this year, for example, its almost as old as she was in that first season!), I find it far more fun to experience brand new things every season, than to was nostalgic about how things were better in the old days.

Also I've discovered I greatly prefer digital animation.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
There are 2 main reasons I don't watch older anime much.

1. I'm a videophile, I will admit. Old 360p feeds that aren't digitally animated are an eyecancer for me. Its tough to enjoy something if the video itself isn't good.

2. Older anime, especially the stuff that was dubbed and subbed, typically don't appeal to me as much. I'm not a fan of space operas, mecha shows, big manly men doing manly things, etc. It seems like a lot of older shows focus more on that stuff, so I'll just pass. If theres an older show that does interest me though, like Slayers or Uretsi Yatsura, I'll still watch it though.

Newer anime fixes both of these problems I have.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
There are 2 main reasons I don't watch older anime much.

1. I'm a videophile, I will admit. Old 360p feeds that aren't digitally animated are an eyecancer for me. Its tough to enjoy something if the video itself isn't good.

2. Older anime, especially the stuff that was dubbed and subbed, typically don't appeal to me as much. I'm not a fan of space operas, mecha shows, big manly men doing manly things, etc. It seems like a lot of older shows focus more on that stuff, so I'll just pass. If theres an older show that does interest me though, like Slayers or Uretsi Yatsura, I'll still watch it though.

Newer anime fixes both of these problems I have.

You could ya know look up the card captor sakura, evangelion tv and ghost in the shell 480-1080p rips. CCS has be completely re-done in full hd and flcl aged well past that old problem so has outlaw star, cowboy bepop etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Ok, So I have to say I'm on the side of the "new" Anime fans since I believe I got into the fandom after finishing Konjiki no Gash! In either 2008 or 2009 and discovering OP sgt. frog and the such. I will admit I used to not really care for older anime, but after watching some eps of cowboy bebop and seeing its movie I got curious. Trigun and Yu Yu hakusho are definetly my favorites as I feel they are timeless (I wasn't a DBZ kid, sue me though I may watch Kai or something) Slayers is a odd case, As I definetly enjoy it better than fairy tail (I pulled a excalibur face when you had THAT be the representation of us newbs.) But I have to say it felt all over the place, There were never any particular fights I enjoyed and I could definetly tell some of the jokes have aged and the only character developing/establishing momment I can think of is during the end of slayers try. All in All I'll check it out if I have a intrest in it or if I hear its a must see, but its all on a circumstancual bases. I also belive this is a cycle and I will be busting my chops when certian debates or claims happens. But its also a age thing I'll probably be a anime fan until I die as I find it my only real entertainment, but I'm sure that my tatse will change and that I may or may not be as light with shows then as I am now. OP, Hunter x Hunter and Beelzebub(manga version) will probably stay as some of my most favorite series from my time in a shounen sense and etc. etc.

As far as Netflx, I'm glad to hear my watching anime on there helps, as I wasn't in particular looking forward to hunting down all the slayers sets, and there are certian others I'm still not certian if I want to buy for keeps or not ( though Trigun, Sgt. Frog are definetly on my list. FMA B is no question) I've also noticed that alot of people my age are 'new' anime fans comming from watching either hetlia or sgt. frog on netflix (with the latter I pray can get as popular as the former so we can get more seasons) so it always brings a smile to my face to see a new anime fan and share some titles with them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10