• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Netflix Violation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
No, those happen to be shows that you really like. (hell, I really like most of those shows)

Then what exactly is your issue with my comment?

Quote:
...ok, and? I get that its your opinion, but I'd like you to actually back it up. Otherwise its just "I really like these shows", which is a completely valid opinion, but not of much use to anyone but you.

Well what do you want exactly? Do you want me to explain why I think every single one of those shows is great? That seems highly impractical.

Look, I'm not insisting you agree with me. I'm just stating my opinion that the late 90s were better. There's no real practical way to debate this so if you feel differently, we can agree to disagree.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Look, I'm not insisting you agree with me. I'm just stating my opinion that the late 90s were better. There's no real practical way to debate this so if you feel differently, we can agree to disagree.

I'm saying that there is a difference between "I like shows that were more common in the late 90s" and "the late 90s were better".
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I'm saying that there is a difference between "I like shows that were more common in the late 90s" and "the late 90s were better".

In my opinion, those shows I listed are indeed "better". They're not just a type of show I like. They're really excellent shows. Again, if you don't agree me about what shows are excellent then that's fine. You don't have to accept my conclusion that the late 90s were better. Don't try to tell me that I don't actually genuinely find the late 90s to be better though.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

In my opinion, those shows I listed are indeed "better". They're not just a type of show I like. They're really excellent shows. Again, if you don't agree me about what shows are excellent then that's fine. You don't have to accept my conclusion that the late 90s were better. Don't try to tell me that I don't actually genuinely find the late 90s to be better though.

http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/factsopinions.html

Yes, its your opinion, but that doesn't mean they are excellent shows to everyone. They could be the worst show someone has ever seen, and a show you hate could be someones favorite show.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

You are presenting your opinion as a fact.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
Ikillchicken already stated that it was his opinion in his comment about that. There is no need to go further than that because that's his opinion. Its not like he stated facts or anything and even said you can disagree, so to go on with it against him is kind of pushing it.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

You are presenting your opinion as a fact.

Haterater wrote:
Ikillchicken already stated that it was his opinion in his comment about that. There is no need to go further than that because that's his opinion. Its not like he stated facts or anything and even said you can disagree, so to go on with it against him is kind of pushing it.

Well, yes, he stated an opinion. But he wasn't simply stating an opinion of his own personal feelings of those shows, or at least he wasn't presenting it as such. He was making a claim about the "objective" quality of shows in the past versus now. And you don't get to just say "well, its just my opinion" when it comes time to defend that kind of statement.
scottfla

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:57 am Reply with quote
"Old Stuff" is an interesting concept because it starts to drag in notions that go far beyond "good", "bad" or "better" animation. For a lot of people I think the first realization that a cartoon was part of something much larger and was in fact very different from the rest of what you were watching is what caused it to smear from animation to anime, and that change is what caused people to draw a datum line and become very "my time" oriented. For the most part, we grew up watching cartoons, and it wasn't until much later that we realized some of those cartoons were from a very different place than others. When I was a kid I don't recall drawing much of a distinction between Star Blazers and Looney Toons. Perhaps that's why I don't feel as much of a connection to them and view them as a personal beginning as, say, Akira. Like many fans my age, our introduction to Japanimation was Akira, which at the time was so obviously different it kinda made you sit up and notice. It was a natural turning point where you either say "that's pretty damned cool, lets go with that" or "I guess I've grown past this". Those who stick with it tend to kinda keep moving, maybe watching the old stuff for fun (I still occasionally watch some Bubblegum Crisis for no good reason) but tend to be more interested in newer stuff as it comes out, especially these days when you can kinda take your pick (personally, I am far more interested in catching up on recent simulcasts at the end of the day). I think instead of asking why not watch older stuff, the more interesting question (for me) is when did you realize you weren't just watching cartoons anymore. That tends to be the cutoff for most anime fans between "what I watch now" and a nebulous past that doesn't really make it on the radar.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Since you are so goddamn stuck on this topic, let me tell you why I don't like 4:3 shows. I have a plasma TV. You know what plasmas are vulnerable to? Image burn. So that off-black color created by the pillars on the side will fudge with my TV if I don't refresh my screen.
I admit I came off a bit caustic, but I don't think I was whining, merely pointing out a common complaint I see about older anime. (And many of my other mentions of the subject have been on the lines of "Wow, <company> licensed [some older fullscreen show]?", which is legitimately unusual in this market climate.) And usually, those complaints are about the inherent nature of 4:3, not damaging side effects on their screens. Along these lines:

some guy on a site I can't link wrote:
Is this in widescreen? Not too bothered about HD or not, but I can't stand 4:3. Black bars irritate me.

EDIT: Or also this gem, taking Funimation to task for its BD releases of Full Metal Panic '02 and Fumoffu:

Quote:
If you release a Blu-ray of an older show, actually put some god damn WORK into the show to either make it 16:9 (cause I've seen movies and shows originally filmed in 4:3 ratio look good as a 16:9) or don't release a useless version of a show that I can get on regular DVD for cheaper.

If you have to avoid 4:3 to protect your equipment, I respect that. PetrifiedJello once said the same thing. But don't take it out on me just because you chose a display that limits the types of content you can view comfortably. And meanwhile, I'll count my blessings that CRTs don't have these issues...

RyanSaotome wrote:
1. I'm a videophile, I will admit. Old 360p feeds that aren't digitally animated are an eyecancer for me. Its tough to enjoy something if the video itself isn't good.
Huh? Unless you're deliberately choosing to get TV fansubs from the early 00s (or VHS-rips of earlier shows) that were never licensed in the US, there's a fairly limited number of titles that are available in no better than 360p.

Though I do wonder if this is a factor on places where people say things like "old anime is all washed out and blurry" because they're watching old DivX3 DVD-rips from 2002 instead of actual DVDs.

TheZeonicFront wrote:
What I've always found funny about the divide is that at one point someone realized the thing that makes Harem shows suck is the hapless lead male with a limp dick.
And yet when a certain show came along that featured an opportunistic male lead with very functional equipment (thus removing that "suck factor"), people complained all the more.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sun May 13, 2012 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
If anything I have the song from Love Hina stuck in my head, next to Chobits and Pita Ten.

And if there's anything that legitimizes piracy its Harmony Gold.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And yet when a certain show came along that featured an opportunistic male lead with very functional equipment (thus removing that "suck factor"), people complained all the more.

School Days was a farce, and Makoto is basically overcompensating way the hell in the other direction.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
For the most part, it's been a pretty dumb debate. Contrasting technical difficulties {Hee, the faces I've seen..} from old cel animation versus "Even if everyone can do computer animation doesn't mean everyone should do computer animation" modern anime? The non-evolution of action shounen? How about when older 20 plus series were the norm versus the shorter thirteen episodes or less model that's prevailent now?

Comedy's comedy, drama's drama and action's action; I don't care if the date's 2010 or 1994 because what was good is good. But then again, I don't judge anime seperately based on either its base medium or how its been transmitted nor do I just watch one episode and let the fact if I watch the rest ride on how I feel on that one show.

One thing though; Giving the number of people who don't complain about subtitles, it's amazing at the number of petty things they find to complain about; I for one don't see the point at watching cel animation in high definition on a large screen as it's similiar to viewing pointilism paintings with a magnifying glass.

Umm, quite literally, you're missing the big picture if you do that.

One last thing; there haven't been great advances in anime story telling as it's more a case of "less is more" going both ways. Some people look overfondly at older anime because the real crap was never imported but now the problem is that a decent story can only be told with either enough episodes or real skill. Good luck with that...

To sum up, the majority of modern anime looks great but its about as satisfying as a single chicken nugget. Good thing that there is so much of it. Older anime will always come back around here, kind of like old movies and such; It's not nostalgia, it's actual art. In my mind, it's a tie and as these things tend to work out, time will pick the modern winners and the rest will be forgotten trash.

Please, History, trash Infinite Stratos. That's all I'm asking...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Well, yes, he stated an opinion. But he wasn't simply stating an opinion of his own personal feelings of those shows, or at least he wasn't presenting it as such. He was making a claim about the "objective" quality of shows in the past versus now. And you don't get to just say "well, its just my opinion" when it comes time to defend that kind of statement.

That's fair enough. I was making an objective statement.

As I said though, I don't really see how we can even begin to debate such a matter short of examining the merits of every individual show in question and it's just not plausible to do that. Hence, asking me to "defend" that statement is pretty much impossible. Of course, that cuts both ways. People seeking to dispute my claims will run into the same problem eventually as well. Again, it's just not something that can be practically debated. Hence, we must simply accept that we disagree about this.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care when a show was made or whether the animation is considered good or bad. All I'm looking for is a good story with likable characters. If an anime can accomplish this, I consider it to be a well done show in my opinion.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, i don't think older anime are better by default and if people are happy watching only new stuff, that's fine with me, even though i definitely think they are missing out, but that's just my very own completely unobjective personal opion...and by the way, Slayers is still funnier than 90% of the newer stuff and that includes Fairy Tail (and i actually enjoy Fairy Tail...)!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10