• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kekkaishi DVD Set 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xScar

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
I suppose the only reason Kekkaishi was able to get a full release was because it was aired on adult swim... if only Monster was shown on there and not on Syfy Sad

Kekkaishi seemed too stereotypically shonen for me to even get into it :\
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
xScar wrote:

Honestly it's probably my favorite shonen manga of all time, there's just so much good stuff about it. The uniquiness of everyone's powers, a main character who's actually pretty intelligent, a female main character who gets equal billing and is never felt short-changed, the neat monster designs, the focus on internal power struggles, AND the fact that it's only 35 volumes long and yet feels so packed full of details (the anime only covered up to volume 13)
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

That's like whining that Monster is too seinen or that Skip Beat is too shoujo. Just like those shows, Kekkaishi just knows it's audience and didn't need to reinvent the wheel.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I've seen "Kekkaishi" before and I liked it. I hope they do more of it. That'll be interesting to see.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote
Heisuke vs Byaku was honestly the very best one-on-one battle in the series. Their reasons for fighting one another were actually more compelling than anything else in the show. A shame the anime doesn't keep going beyond where it stops. I know the manga is where the full story is (and thankfully I can buy more manga now since I got some new shelves), so if I want my Kekkaishi fix I better get to buying.
noigeL

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I've seen "Kekkaishi" before and I liked it. I hope they do more of it. That'll be interesting to see.

What did you like about it?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
First half of those TV series is really mediocre and lame, by second half it was able to finally draw one of the best shonen type of action. If only complete anime was like this. Or, rather, I wish more shonen anime like Kekkaishi's second part.

(Situation is similar to D-Grayman: the first half of the series is totally dead shonen "moster of the week" pointless garbage -- I can not understand how I survives through so many episodes of that -- while the second part is as exciting as possible shonen storytelling.)
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
I suppose the only reason Kekkaishi was able to get a full release was because it was aired on adult swim... if only Monster was shown on there and not on Syfy Sad

That my friend is an understatement. Monster should have been released on AS.

Either way , I definitely liked it though it sucks that for some reason , there's no second season,and for the story to continue, people will have to resort to reading the manga.

At least it didn't ended like other series ( Bastard,Angel Sancutary,) that only became OVAs instead of a TV series and completed it along with the manga.

And of course no one wants to go into the complications when it comes to the Gash Bell series which was good,but ended into a complete mess.

At least there's Bleach , Naruto and One Piece that's gonna end their series with the manga's ending instead of cutting it short.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1