• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist Anime's Staff Confirmed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Mizushima's not directing?

Yes, he's working on Gundam 00.

And even if he wasn't, I remember seeing him say in an interview that he has officially completed Fullmetal Alchemist. If they wanted to make a second movie or more of the series, they would have to hire someone else to direct it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather surprised their recasting the seiyu Sad I myself, am a little more attached to the American voice actors, however not having Paku Romi as Ed will come as a shock if she isn't used again (I know for a lot of sub fans, Paku Romi IS Edward).

That aside I'm even more disappointed that Oshima won't be reprising her work as the music composer. Her soundtrack for the original FMA was stunning and her work in Nabari no ou was another gem. I've never heard of this Senju guy, and I've never seen any of the shows he's compose for (which is a surprising much smaller repertoire than Oshima's Confused ) and that sort of scares me of the quality soundtrack we'll end up getting. It may end up being forgettable, anyone heard any of this guys work?
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oshima's credits are here; it seems she did work on Nabari no Ou, but not Fancy Lala.

Actually, she does.
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
*getting on knees and praying* Hope it's good, hope it's good, hope it's good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Kiriska wrote:
I'm pretty ambivalent about this cast so far, but I'm hugely disappointed that Michiru Ooshima won't be reprising as the composer. It looks like this series in general is going to be pretty different from the original, but yeah, I'd really love to know what it's actually going to be about.

Seconding this. Oshima's score for FMA was one of the best anime soundtracks out there, and it's a shame to not have tracks like "Way Home" or "Brothers" for this new series. I wish they'd at least have her as a music producer(like Hans Zimmer did for Blood+). Also, obligatory mention that I loved her score for video game ICO too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully the new composer will be able use some of Oshima's pieces for the soundtrack, and keep the music we've come ot know, and love intact. I don't know much about him, but regardless if his work is great, or not, the series needs some of those familiar themes to me, in order to keep that charming spirit of FMA.

Similarly, the seiyuu cast should stay consistant for thos new series. Every effort should be made in reprising these roles. Other than that, everything else seems to be clouded by intrigue, and potential.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm most interested in how they will deal with the story. The Mizushima interpretation of FMA pretty much had a closed ending. Is this version going to start at the beginning of the manga or will be begin from where the first version began to diverge from the manga?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Is there really a reason for more Fullmetal Alchemist? I was under the impression that the first series did very well, why the need to rush to a remake so soon? Was Arakawa displeased with the first television adaptation? Were the fans? It certainly becaome a different beast than the manga, but it's not as though it ended up as heinously different as the first Hellsing anime.

Personally, I'm looking forward to what's coming, regardless, being a huge fan of Fullmetal Alchemist. However, the first series was very good, one of my favorites. It wasn't exactly the most faithful to the original adaptation, but it captured most of the characters perfectly and tackled most of the themes even better than the manga has. It just seems that recently, everyone seeing that a new adaptation is coming, has begun railing against the old one, as if they never liked it to begin with. Seems hypocritical to me, given the popularity of the first series.

I also have a problem with this new staff. Picking a new director is one thing. I have a problem with them not bringing back the original composer, for one. And if they don't bring back Romi Paku as Edward Elric, I'll be massively disappointed.

Like I previously stated, I'll be interested to see what this becomes. I'm actually still collecting the DVDs for the first series. This is going to be a real kick in the wallet, damn it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Methinks that FUNimation probably will get this series pre-licensed just before the first episode airs in Japan and attempt to show a simulcast sub or a speed sub a day later. I don't see why they won't rush to getting this series.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Damn. I'm sad that Michiru Ooshima isn't doing the music again.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I'm rather surprised their recasting the seiyu Sad I myself, am a little more attached to the American voice actors, however not having Paku Romi as Ed will come as a shock if she isn't used again (I know for a lot of sub fans, Paku Romi IS Edward).

Original Article wrote:
Irie said that the project will be the first work by the BONES animation company's new D Studio and that the creators are still casting the voices.

It doesn't say they're recasting the voices. But if they are actually going back and following the manga past where they did before, some of the main cast will be different, Homunculi we know as one Sin will actually be a different Sin, and the main cast will expand as they move into the manga material that was not touched by the first series. Casting includes all the little people too. Don't assume they're replacing Ed and Al. Hopefully BONES will have as much of an attachment to them as the fans do. Smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Homunculi we know as one Sin will actually be a different Sin, and the main cast will expand as they move into the manga material that was not touched by the first series. Casting includes all the little people too. Don't assume they're replacing Ed and Al. Hopefully BONES will have as much of an attachment to them as the fans do. Smile

That's an interesting point.

spoiler[Sloth] will certainly be different (and more fit to the title, though I liked what Bones did with it, too). And spoiler[Selim Bradley ]will no longer be a minor character, him being spoiler[Pride]. I wonder if they'll recast that role.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
malik_chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Is Japan following the Hollywood trend of remakes? Seriously, let sleeping dogs lie. The first anime was great and I can't see any reason for them to make another version.

I hope they leave the music along though. That was some good music and I will be disappointed if they don't use some of it.

And whoever licenses it out here, I hope they keep the original dub cast. I grew attached to the character's voices in the dub and I think it would be possible to bring the original cast back. However, I think there'd be a problem with Al's VA simply because he's older now and we all know about that voice change thing.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
More FMA is unequivocally a good thing.

I hope we get ~same day legal subs.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

It doesn't say they're recasting the voices. But if they are actually going back and following the manga past where they did before, some of the main cast will be different, Homunculi we know as one Sin will actually be a different Sin, and the main cast will expand as they move into the manga material that was not touched by the first series. Casting includes all the little people too. Don't assume they're replacing Ed and Al. Hopefully BONES will have as much of an attachment to them as the fans do. Smile

You make a valid point. Given the popularity of the main actors in Japan, it'd probably be really dumb to replace them, and I can't believe that the actors themselves would actively turn the roles down.

They gotta have Satou Yuuko back as Lust, though. I love her so much, and she's never in anything. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4