• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Read or Die (OAV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jkid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:34 pm Reply with quote

Read or Die (OAV)

Genres: action, drama, mystery, science fiction
Themes: secret agents, superpowers

Plot Summary: Yomiko Readman is "The Paper" a secret underground operative for the British Library with the inredible power of complete control over paper, including the ability to make it solid as steel. She is called to duty when a book that could spell the end of the world is stolen, and she must take it back. Going with two other operatives, she attempts to take it back and save the world.
----------------------------------

Except for the annoying dumb ads every 20 minutes (read: infomercial spots) the movie version was great(and surprisely uncut as well).

Post your thoughts aboyut the movie here.

P.S. You can tell that Yoriko (the main chracter) is "Book Crazy". Laughing
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Movie version? It's a three episode OVA.
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but they pieced it all together to make it seem like a movie. I liked it though.
madaudet03

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:27 pm Reply with quote
The voice acting in the dub seemed like they were out of there leugue. But wow what production. Lighting efects cgi backrounds that looked like they actually fit. is the seris that slick and well produced? plus the story was decent characters had some personality.
I have seen raven and wolfs rain but they wern't as slick. I'm wondering if its just because its an ova it just seemed so well put together. evrthing else that looks that good feels rushed or forced it was verry smooth.
is the whole thing like this? tell me. please?
DragonofHeaven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was surprised to see that R.O.D. wasn't edited (if so, it couldn't have been much); I guess AS is getting less strict about profanity. Good for them! Anyway, I found the OVA series to be quite enjoyable, even if I wasn't able to see all of it (technical difficulties, you see-_-). I would say that I especially liked the classical music in the background, very fitting as well as pleasing to the ear^__^

On another note, is it true that R.O.D. will reair tonight?
SekiGatha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:58 pm Reply with quote
DragonofHeaven wrote:

On another note, is it true that R.O.D. will reair tonight?

According to the official site, there is no space for it. If they did, Aqua Teen fans might whine on missing out a new episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:15 pm Reply with quote
R.O.D. was aswom. i haven't seen it before and i have been waiting months for it to be shown. i was actually dumbfounded when i found out, 20 min into it, that it was 2 hrs. i thought they were going to play it over 3 weeks. but im impressed with it.

im pretty sure they didn't play an edited version, there was quite a bit of swearing and gore.

i definitaly have to buy the dvd.
jet set radio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
On the premire of R.O.D they made preisdent of the united states quick to attack in explosive sutatution.I think they were trying to compare to sombody but i winder who Question
please do n't flame me.

[edit: adjusted subject to reflect content. -L]
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:04 pm Reply with quote
The first two episodes were released pre-9/11, so, if they were thinking of a president, it was one who sent planes out to shoot missiles at tents and Asprin factories in the desert any time something broke about his sex life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jet set radio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:26 pm Reply with quote
i'm talking about the last epiosde when he attack the factor without thinking he woyld have a strong defense.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Still probably not; the third episode was released in February 2002, which would be too soon to be specifically in response to 9/11, and, I don't want to get too political here since I know several people here bat for Team Kerry, I'll just use the word "restraint" in regards to the president's actions in Afghanistan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:09 pm Reply with quote
jet set radio wrote:
i'm talking about the last epiosde when he attack the factor without thinking he woyld have a strong defense.

Yes, but what Tenchi is saying is that they had already established him as a coward, which would, in turn, cause him to act the way hey did.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:10 pm Reply with quote
It could just represent American presidents in general.

Even though it was made before Bush's actions, I think it's a good representation of what the world thinks of our current president.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:30 pm Reply with quote
(This thread needs to be retitled to include R.O.D. in the title)

First, the world of R.O.D., wlthough superficially similar to our world, isn't the same. There are a number of key differences, and there's actually a good reason for these differences, although that isn't made clear until later in the storyline, in R.O.D. - the TV.

Second, I don't think the U.S. president in the story was copied off any particular president. There are elements in his physiognomy that match several previous presidents. His frequent loss of bladder control may be a specific jab at the senior Pres. Bush - who, as you might recall, had a memorable and spectacularly badly timed case of nausea at a state banquet, throwing up in the lap of the Japanese PM. However, I think that is more intended to reinforce the image of him as a coward.

Again, there is a good reason for America to be downplayed as a major player in the R.O.D. universe - and it has to do with Britain's much more prominent role. Much of what follows is conjecture, based on information supplied in the OVA and the TV series, but I believe it is close to the truth.

spoiler[The R.O.D. universe may originally have been 'our' universe, but the unusual powers of Gentleman have caused a major rearragement of the world's history.

In the R.O.D. universe, following long years of meddling and history alteration by Gentleman, Britain's empire never declined until Gentleman started to grow old. While he was young and in the fullness of his strength, he was able to alter world history retroactively, so that the decline had never occurred. The OVA is really a preamble to the TV series, which shows what follows after Gentleman's 'invisible hand' is no longer pulling the strings of the world - and, like a tightly-wound clockspring, it starts to resume its former course.

After Gentleman's death, Joker tries to stave off the effects by undertaking his special project (no, I'm not going to say what it is - there are spoilers, and then there are spoilers). No matter what the cost, he is intent on bringing back the steady hand of Gentleman - in effect, he is trying to save Britain from the harsh reality to come. The price is too high, but he can't see that. ]

The R.O.D. OVA and TV series, together, make up one of the finest stories I've seen in anime. It's well-told, moving, original and intricate.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I think you're reading too much into it, Jet (no pun intended).

From what I've read, many in other countries weren't exactly fans of the United States government even before the current situation. For instance, from some descriptions I've read of the Patlabor movies, they didn't exactly paint a glowing description either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7