• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Video Troubleshooting

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:23 am Reply with quote
Most of the time the video player works pretty much without a hitch, but when you can't get it to play the videos that you want to see, here is where you find help.

Do you have adblock and/or noscript Firefox extensions?
Sometimes it's easy to forget that these Firefox extensions (as well as others) can interfere with the normal, proper behavior of a page.

Is it a problem with a third-party video?
If you have trouble with one of the videos delivered via Hulu, YouTube, Cruncyroll, etc... do you experience the same problem when viewing that video at the other website website? In that case you'll have to contact them for help.

Try force-reloading the page.
Maybe a glitch somewhere interfered with the way the page was loaded. Sometimes it helps to do a full reload of the page and all its parts. In Internet Explorer you can do that with Ctrl-F5, in Firefox/Mozilla it's Ctrl-Shift-R, and on Mac it's usually Cmd-Shift-R.

What error message do you see? (if any)
If you see the message "ANN Video Player requires Flash Player 9.0.115.0 or higher" then it means that you need to upgrade. If you have the correct version and still get that message, that usually means sometime went wrong when installing flash and your browser still thinks it has an old version. Try first un-installing flash and then re-installing it. If you see the message "our licensing agreement does not allow us to show this video", that's a legal problem and there's unfortunately nothing we can do to help you.

We use a flash player, apologies if you can not play flash. We will look into moving to an HTML5 player in the future.

Are you behind a firewall or a router?
Those can block video streaming. If you're not sure, go to this flash firewall tester and click the "Start Tests" button to see if any ports are blocked on your computer.

Does the page appear to be taking forever to finish loading?
Every browser has a little animated icon that indicates the page is still loading. Not the spinning wheel in the video player, that's different. For example, at the bottom of your browser window, in the status bar, is there a message like "Waiting for abc.com" or "Transferring data from xyz.com" which seems to be waiting or transferring forever?

What ads are on the page?
At the very bottom of the page, after the "privacy policy" link, what is the value of the line that begins with "Ads by"?

What system do you use?
Along with the answers to the questions above, make sure to tell us what version is your OS, your browser and your flash plugin, and post all that information in this thread. You can find all this information here. Cut and paste the information from that page to your reply below. Make sure to include the "full user agent".

Last edited by Dan42 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:15 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1