• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Adult Swim Brings Back Toonami Block Starting on May 26

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
It's not my fault people are blinded by nostalgia to how Adult Swim's programmers operate.

Tell you what, come June, when ratings sink like a stone, I'll just come back and say "I told you so."
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Well that's stupid. Especially when it's revealed to be the same type of show that drove people off in the first place.

Thinking this must be based off the latter remark in the referenced message, but the only thing that reveals is the totally unsurprising fact that DeMarco didn't say anything negative about ASA publicly on social media. Who knows what'll be there, we'll have to wait and see.

FUNimation might be dropping hints at P&G w/ Garterbelt, of all things - a show image paired up with a message re the block? Hmm. It'd really surprise me, a lot. But so did this whole situation I suppose.

Sunday Silence wrote:

If ANN's schedule is correct, then yes, he's right. CB has been repeatedly aired for over a decade+ now; FLCL and GITS is slowly getting there. Get some fresh blood into the mix and send the other shows packing.

If DeMarco is correct, then thats a thing we need to see later on. That, and the fact that he agreed with ANN's schedule is rather insulting and annoying.

There would be an "if" here if we had competing speculation, but we don't. On one hand we have a schedule from 4/30/12 that was never even mirrored on the Adult Swim website, on the other hand we have comments from a significant, interested and involved person who works at Cartoon Network. It's no contest.

& really, expecting a network employee to be be negative about the programming? Who does that? Why would he do that? He was forestalling a possible false impression and being professional; there's nothing "insulting" about it.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Thu May 17, 2012 10:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Tell you what, come June, when ratings sink like a stone, I'll just come back and say "I told you so."

I think that your holy quest might be blinding you to why people are not welcoming your sermon on the keyboard with open arms and rapture. I'm not saying that Toonami's return will be a grand succes; I'm quite aware that it's a long shot that could very well disappoint. I've just been saying that some day in a junior high school locker room you beat somebody so you could steal the copy of Hustler that he'd stolen from his dad, then decided, "I never need to be any more sophisticated, nuanced, self-aware or empathetic than this." Well, obviously not exactly that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I've just been following ASA for several years and it has proven a failure time and time again with Nielsen ratings. That is the source of my ire. There's a problem, not in my personal preference, but in ratings and value, and yet no one attempts to fix it.

Just because I don't worship the crap they air as gold doesn't make myself or the people who stopped watching meatheads or immature or any other stupid snooty analogy you have. It means the block cannot attract viewers.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Are you done now, Beatdigga? Jeez!
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love the idea of keeping it a secret until it airs... I might even watch it! I can't imagine the feeling if I'm watching it and then see this OP start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8b8NRuodqc

That would be the most amazing thing ever.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Confirmation that's not the final schedule? CALLED IT!

And I really hope Funimation's jus trolling with that Panty stocking thing.
RyanSaotome wrote:
I absolutely love the idea of keeping it a secret until it airs... I might even watch it! I can't imagine the feeling if I'm watching it and then see this OP start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8b8NRuodqc

That would be the most amazing thing ever.

No... just - no.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
No... just - no.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. K-ON is an okay show, but I can't imagine that guaranteeing more viewership, especially since the dub will likely air. Frankly I like the dub, but I know a lot fans out there make it stupidly clear how much they like shows like that, but won't watch the english track of those shows because of whatever philosopshy they have about what makes a good and bad dub. But yeah, no. I can't imagine that getting more buzz than even Durarara, and I'm not at all talking about both shows being of different genres either.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
No... just - no.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. K-ON is an okay show, but I can't imagine that guaranteeing more viewership, especially since the dub will likely air. Frankly I like the dub, but I know a lot fans out there make it stupidly clear how much they like shows like that, but won't watch the english track of those shows because of whatever philosopshy they have about what makes a good and bad dub. But yeah, no. I can't imagine that getting more buzz than even Durarara, and I'm not at all talking about both shows being of different genres either.

Not only that, but K-On in no way would fit on adult swim/Toonami. And I don't really see K-On appealing to larger American audience.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Give me some boobs and blood and we'll talk.

Great! More Hollywood! Please! Laughing
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
Yay... I can watch all the shows i've already seen 100 times.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The Abided wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
This isn't Toonami; it's Saturday adult swim with a rename. How utterly disappointing. Sad

But it is Toonami. Williams Street was the original producer and creator of Toonami. They made Toonami as their day time block and AS as their night block. So it is Toonami.

Plus, the schedule on TV Guide is not correct, we don't know what they will have yet, but they will have new material, as they announced in the press release earlier. I'm not saying it will live up to everyone's expectations, but it is too early to be disappointed already.

Adult Swim ACTN is now Toonami and no Miguzi
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm saving judgement for when I actually see what they've got on the TV next Saturday.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
I'm saving judgement for when I actually see what they've got on the TV next Saturday.

All Digimon. All the time.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
The fact that they refuse to announce their new titles indicates that what they do have will fail to excite viewers and will be more of the same. On that note, I'm betting it's Stein's Gate. Quality of the show aside (I hear it's quite good, never saw it) it is similar to many of ASA's past failures from summary, genre, focus on dialog, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13