• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Producer DeMarco Promoted to Cartoon Network VP

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
It's only a matter of time before Toonami comes back in some way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:

I'm not sure that this portents the return of Toonami, although it certainly doesn't hurt it. Between my lacking fluency in corporate speech and how poorly its expresses things anyway, I'm unclear as to what this new jobs is; I could conceive of it putting him in a position to help implement a revived Toonami, but it seems as though his role might have more to do with orchestrating unique events and promotion rather than anything to do with programming.

Regardless, this seems like a good thing. Cartoon Network has spent a while deep in the wilderness, but I feel like it's been creeping slowly back to the light over the past few years; promoting one of the executive producers from the second season of The Big O to an executive position is probably a pretty good thing. Even if it somehow isn't, at least he's not Jamie Kellner!

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
First the Toonami April 1st run, then talk of CN weighing bringing the block back, and now the Toonami producer taking a VP position. Sure does sound like we're closer to the full time return of Toonami.

Emerje
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Great news! CN has really been getting back in the groove of things since 2010, and having someone like Demarco in a high position at the network will hopefully help ensure they continue to increase in quality and not regress back to those dark days of 2006-2009. (seriously aside from Toonami CN had hardly anything worth watching during those years, IMO any who.)

But yeah hopefully this will make it easier for Williams Street to convince the higher ups to let them bring Toonami back. Cool Smile
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:

Heck it doesn't have to be toonami either. So long as anime is showing a stronger presence then it is now. But hey if it could be feasible that toonami could make a return with this new VP then more power to them
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:

Heck it doesn't have to be toonami either. So long as anime is showing a stronger presence then it is now. But hey if it could be feasible that toonami could make a return with this new VP then more power to them

I know having anime from 6PM on for a Saturday lineup is nice and doesn't hurt, but it's just not enough to recapture what Toonami originally had. Maybe if we also had anime blocks on other channels it would be a nice supplement.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Having anime start at 6pm for a Saturday lineup on CN wouldn't recapture Toonami? I don't see what other channels air have to do with gaining back the feel Toonami had on CN.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I know having anime from 6PM on for a Saturday lineup is nice and doesn't hurt, but it's just not enough to recapture what Toonami originally had.

True. To recapture the true Toonami spirit, it should be M-F from 4-7pm. Wink
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this will improve their marketing so they can market something other than Level Up.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Maybe this will improve their marketing so they can market something other than Level Up.

yes.

heck, just get rid of the stupid live action shows already, it'd be one thing if you were doing a good job at it, buuuuuuuut...

either way I'm not really going to say this will have anything to do with anime coming back on the CN, but its not impossible. I don't know what this 'toonami spirit' is since I became a anime fan AFTER it was cancelled, but I would be tickled pink to see some more anime on the air that wasn't just kiddie anime and adult swim reruns *since durarara ended its been pretty boring saturday nights on TV*

However, as I said before, we shouldn't expect anything too quick though, I doubt a year will pass with some major change going on and this is because at the momment he's pretty much doing advertising, which from what I can guess means the commercials for shows and scripting for program blocks. since though he'll also seem to be apart of strategic marketing it does reval a doorway, albeit a 10 ton one made of iron. Its got no lock, but it'll take tons of pushing.

Also I'm not really sure if there are companies willing to pitch to cartoon network with their liscenced work. adult swim is a maybe, but since toonami went off air its been a fair while since anime was in that block. the up side to this though is that during this times, theres been a tad bit more leniency on whats eligeble to be aired at this time slot (regular show comes to mind) while its not the same as japans standards, its close enough where he only cuts that'd need to be made for fitting shows would be to remove some swear words, maybe overuse of blood but not really, and that be the end of it.

sorry if I sounded flip floppy during this, but the main point I wanted to get accross was that while I do hope for some change, its gonna be a long process.
marie1901

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:

Yeah I don't think that they're going to bring Toonami back it's been so long. IMO they would probably do something that's similar to Toonami or bring in more anime. but either way they do it, i'll be happy
Hiro94

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Network is currently at rock bottom with their worst lineup of shows they've ever had with HORRIBLE scheduling. Why do they keep removing shows from their schedule while they're on a seasonal break? Nick's got the right idea. However, if Cartoon Network adds Toonami back to the MAIN channel (NOT as a part of [adult swim], and I don't care if they show some non-anime), then I would CONSIDER giving them another chance. It's good to see that they have a new VP. Now, if only they could fire the bastard in charge! Very Happy
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I think Cartoon Network is doing a pretty good job lately. Most of the horrible new original programming is gone, and now we have a Cartoon Planet revival that appeals to the nostalgia-ers(?), shows like Young Justice/Regular Show/Adventure Time, and DC Nation shorts.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Cartoon Network is currently at rock bottom with their worst lineup of shows they've ever had with HORRIBLE scheduling. Why do they keep removing shows from their schedule while they're on a seasonal break? Nick's got the right idea. However, if Cartoon Network adds Toonami back to the MAIN channel (NOT as a part of [adult swim], and I don't care if they show some non-anime), then I would CONSIDER giving them another chance. It's good to see that they have a new VP. Now, if only they could fire the bastard in charge! Very Happy

The low point after Cartoon Network began showing original programming was Real CN where they had a block of insanely crappy live action tv shows.

At this moment Cartoon Network has an awesome saturday morning lineup that has Thundercats, Green Lantern, and Young Justice back to back to back. Adventure Time and Regular Show are great, and most of the DC nation shorts have been really entertaining. They just need to improve their schedule (don't randomly show new episodes and expect people to know their coming up, and don't keep on showing the same show over and over again to broaden appeal). Well that and stop showing Johnny Test.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2