• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - FUNi Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TG72

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
After some thought, I'm going with Bokurano as my guess, solely due to the Gonzo name & the possible advertising possbilities with Viz.

I wonder what he thinks everyone is expecting? Your guess above is probably right.

I know I'm deluding myself but will still hope for Mokke. After all,
"The kanji representation of the title (もっけ which is in hiragana) is 勿怪, which means 'unexpected'".
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
willag wrote:
I want it to be Dennou Coil. I want it to be Dennou Coil so bad. But it's probably not.

Dennou Coil is licensed, released, and readily available in Australia. Given the acclaim the series has enjoyed, it quite frankly surprises me how frequently such a release is overlooked by fans in other regions.

Oh, I know about it. I've just been holding off on purchasing it this year because limited edition U.S. releases (and some unexpected OOP purchases) have been taking priority (several releases from NISA, Princess Jellyfish, Shiki, Madoka Magica). I've been hoping that maybe the series would be licensed in the U.S. while I'm still waiting for the opportunity to purchase it - I could save a lot of money on shipping if I didn't have to import it.

I would be totally cool with Bokurano being licensed as well. I'm not expecting a series I want to be licensed, but I'm hoping.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
corinthian

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Kind of disappointed to hear Princess Jellyfish wasn't a huge hit. I mean, they didn't expect it to be, and it still made the numbers they expected, but it's sad to here. It really is a fantastic show
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
An enjoyable and interesting ANNCast episode. Over the years, I've picked up a lot of Funimation titles, so I'm always curious to learn what's happening in their camp.

I was glad to learn that the BD release of Last Exile was still in the works. I've been watching the series on DVD recently (loaned from a friend) and I'm looking forward to buying the series when the high-def version comes out. Been patiently waiting for it since Funi first announced the series licence. Since both the DVD and BD versions had release dates, it must have been just as irksome to them as it was for the fans when the BD release suddenly had to be postponed.

In regards to Dragon Age: Dawn Of The Seeker, it's a good stand-alone feature. I like fantasy and I'm a fan of dragons (always rooting for them to win). This movie had some amazingly well done scenes involving the beasties, especially during its latter part. Lance mentioned the different types of people who would be interested in the movie, and I would fit into the "haven't played the games or knows anything about the Dragon Age story, but likes fantasy and dragons" category. The fact that Oxybot was involved didn't hurt. I'm happy to add this one to my BD collection.

Also looking forward to adding Shiki Parts One and Two. "Horror, mystery, psychological, supernatural"...This series sounds like it's right up my alley.

I'm actually quite glad there's been more of a move towards the combo packs using the BD case packaging. Hadn't really noticed the switch until recently when I picked up titles put out by Funi and Disney.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

Nanoha StrikerS?
Wait. Funi said "No" to future Nanoha.

Sadly true. Sad

I had a brief "maybe" moment before I remembered that.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
willag wrote:
>>Announcement for a show that's 5 years old.

OMG! A 2007 show?! C-could it be?

>>It's not what everyone's thinking.

Well, I think we can safely cross School Days and Kodomo no Jikan off the list. Laughing

Probably the "It's not what everyone's thinking" is Familiar of Zero 2. If I had to guess, probably the most "Funi-ish" titles from that year are Mushi-Uta, Sky Girls and Macross Frontier. I'd love it to be Zombie-Loan, but I'm not holding my breath. Very unusual for Funi to reach that far back.

Maybe it will be higurashi kai.. oh wait >_>.

Yeah boobies sell I shamelessly bought bombshells from the sky for that reason. However I think series like deadman wonderland, future diary, index/railgun will also do just fine. Those series also have a decent chance of getting on adultswim's toonami given they are more focused on action than TNA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:56 am Reply with quote
I just had a thought. If Funimation's gonna encourage a support prodding [adult swim] about PSG, in turn I'm gonna launch a one-man assault on them to license Milky Holmes.

That's the best plan I've ever had. Ever.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote
I thought it was quite fair for them to point out that "pander" applies to both sexes as well, like Black Butler and Hetalia Very Happy
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
It's great to hear Funimation is finally coming out with their Geneon titles, and I genuinely wish them luck on their Tenchi Muyo releases. That was my gateway title, and I know Zac would disagree but I still believe it stands out even from today's harem series. In fact, this was one of the first (if not the first) series of the harem genre before it even became a genre. In other words, Tenchi Muyo may have started the formula that never went away for 20 years, but back then the creators were just trying to create a fun, inventive sci-fi comedy/action series that had a harem element to it. But even compared to recent series of the genre, the girls have background stories, more character, and more reasons for falling in love with the guy (or just having reasons at all), who is only awkward with affectionate girls but still thinks of them as his family and rises as a warrior. You just don't see that so much anymore, and why I personally feel recent harem series feel rather more soulless, but that might just be me.

Also, I happened to peruse Funimation's website, and found a webpage for Haibane Renmei. Even though they have no release date announced, Funimation already has a cool trailer whipped up for this wonderful series that must be in every Anime collector's library. It's too bad that it isn't blu ray (maybe not yet?), but kudos all the same to Funimation for trying to keep this artistic masterpiece alive in North America. Seriously, while others would say Evangelion or Cowboy Bebop, I say no collection is complete without Haibane Renmei, even if you only watch it once.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Be nice. -TK]
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I suppose that Michiko e Hatchin is ruled out by it being a five-year-old title as it aired from 2008 to 2009.

Michiko to Hatchin was literally the first thing to pop into my mind when they said that.

Here's to hoping!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm saddened that Funi's not picking up Nanoha. I at least have both the first season and A's, but the latter took several months of searching on Ebay to find a $75 used copy. And I would love to have a legitimate copy of StrikerS.

If the 5 year old announcement is Moyashimon, though, that could make up for it.
Excel Generations

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Heat Guy J always makes its return in these podcasts Very Happy
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Zin5ki wrote:
willag wrote:
I want it to be Dennou Coil. I want it to be Dennou Coil so bad. But it's probably not.

Dennou Coil is licensed, released, and readily available in Australia. Given the acclaim the series has enjoyed, it quite frankly surprises me how frequently such a release is overlooked by fans in other regions.

They're probably holding out for a release in their own region, which would probably be cheaper and easier. It's remarkably that it hasn't been released elsewhere, but I believe that Sam Pinansky explained on the episode of ANNCast dedicated to interviewing him that the rights to Dennō Coil are controlled by a very traditional publishing company, which I think is Tokuma Shoten, with unrealistically high demands for a licensing arrangement and that the Australian license was the product of hard work by the Siren Visual CEO, who was a very big fan of the series.

I remember hearing something similar about Nodame as well, I think the first season is owned by a different company than the one that owns the second and third seasons (I wanna say it's Sony) who isn't that interested in licensing the show and no one is going to license the second and third seasons if the first isn't hence why it's never come over.

Hmm, I'm thinking Moyashimon since they did stream the live action show on their site two years back and it's getting a sequel this summer so that might be the perfect combination of events for it, guess we'll just have to wait and see!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I go *aughh* at the boob shows, but I get it. I just don't care for it. I can't really blame them, of course and for the most part, it's little trouble for me to just let those be.

I had thought that FUNImation might start its 'simulcasts' later because of a different legal situation from Crunchyroll and because they're outside of the company's core competence, much like how VIZ is with anime DVD releases. That seems to be more or less the case. I've also noticed that FUNImation's simulcasts have subtitles for the openings and endings, something that Crunchyroll typically lacks, which I think might add to the legal work as it entails dealing with the rights holders for the songs.

I'm glad that they'll at last begin to release the tied-up Geneon titles. I really want a better copy of Serial Experiments Lain; mine is a weird, Frankenstein of disparate releases. I'm really excited about finally getting a chance to see Haibane Renmei and Black Lagoon too. (That's not an odd pairing at all...) I'm curious as to why they're going to release a new version of Armitage III. I like it plenty; I have warm memories of watching it on Saturday Anime back in the way-back-when, but copies of it, including the original OVA and sequel film, are still pretty abundant and cheap. I really hope that they get the Ocean Group to dub"Roberta's Blood Trail"; they did excellent work on the English dub.

I hope, but don't really expect, that Lupin II - The Woman Called Fujiko Mine will do well enough to be licensed for home video. I would really like to see it with better video quality and any English dub. (I stand by my believe that Colleen Clinkenbeard would be a very good fit for the lead)

I was surprised by how frank Lance was about the Classics Line. Still, I think that a few of the titles might have legitimate or nearly legitimate claim to the title outside of marketing.

I'm glad that Princess Jellyfish met expectations. I had hoped for better, but at least it wasn't a failure. I hope that they take more chances like that in the future.

penguintruth wrote:
Everybody watch the Lupin stream!

Yes! Watch it, damn you! What are you waiting for? It's got nudity!

neocloud9 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
I suppose that Michiko e Hatchin is ruled out by it being a three or four year old title, as it aired from late 2008 through early 2009.

Michiko to Hatchin was literally the first thing to pop into my mind when they said that.

Here's to hoping!

Lamentably, I imagine that it falls outside of the time frame that Lance indicated. I know that it's on a few people's radar. It seems to come up whenever the matter of unlicensed series from that era is raised. I admit that I haven't seen it, but I see a lot of promise in what I've read about it and it has one of the bossest openings ever. Besides that, I've enjoyed Lupin III ~ The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, so I'm keen to see more by Sayo Yamamoto.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5