• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Funimation Gets Fullmetal Alchemist Premium

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:
PLEASE don't let this announcement be that they've acquired a license to the new series. Let it finish, first. Then, buy it and do whatever you want with it. Cool

I take it this is the torrent-user speaking from deep inside your fluttering fanboy heart?

Heck no, I'm ALL for simultaneous release (or as close to it as we can get)! Oh, now I have that song stuck in my head...

Cal-i-forn-ia, rest in peace....*whistle*

Especially if they do a release like the one from Gainax where you get to watch it subbed a week after the Japanese.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Really, people are so damn impatient. Don't whine when FUNi issues C&D letters if they've gotten the new show... Razz

*blows raspberry* I don't watch fansubs, thanks. It would kinda suck for those not in the region 1 market if they issued C&D before the show even airs...hadn't thought about that.

But for me personally, I'd welcome it. I fully intend to get this show on hard copy and with a dub, not that I won't watch it subbed first the moment it comes out of the chute if they preview it that way.

*waves large foamy finger that says "FMA #1 fangirl" on it*

I don't know what they're going to do about Al's voice in a dub, though. People have been saying that Aaron could just imitate his lower register, and he could, but if you've heard him in Ouran recently... Shocked I think that will be a feat. Playing the part of Yasuchika, he didn't have the range he possessed when his voice was higher. It really cracked when he tried to yell or get emotional, and there's an audio commentary with him on it that only further makes me doubt he has the range now to do the falsetto thing. I propose he just play the character with the inflection Al uses, but not try to go into falsetto. So, Al will sound slightly more mannish. Big deal. The boyishness can come through in the acting, if he does it well, but it can't be helped that his voice kinda did what all guys voices do at that age.

It dropped, like, two octaves. Laughing
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Jesu -- I wasn't directing that comment at you but the person you quoted. I apologize if that wasn't clear, and did not mean to seem insulting.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
No, you didn't sound insulting at all, I just wanted to make it clear that I prefer to support the region 1 market...a lot of those people are really nice and hardworking, I have a thing for pretty packaging, and well...we all know what kind of coronary Vic Mignogna is having right now at the prospect of more FMA. Wink
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I've heard rumors that Vic and Aron are going to reprise their roles again. I like their voices and all, but I honestly think that it's someone elses turn to have those roles, I mean, it's not the same series, and those are just rumors and I've seen nothing on Vic's official website saying anything about him being in the new FMA sereis at all. What do you think? Should Ed and Al be played by different voice actors? I think so.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
^ Heck no. It's not just a case of "actors playing parts," but when you watch a show, you have to temporarily let your mind go and believe that what you're seeing is real, somewhere, somehow, if only for that brief twenty minutes. They call it "suspension of disbelief" for good reason. The dub for FMA was well-done and very popular, one of the few that purists will listen to and many unbiased people will admit surpasses the original in passion and execution. (One of the few that deserves it, I might add.) Vic and Aaron don't just play Ed and Al, they are Ed and Al to people who enjoyed the dub and loved those characters. Alternate universe or no, it would be as if the characters themselves suddenly changed voices and slight elements of their personality, and it would betray the fans suspension of disbelief and love for the show. You just don't change up the cast like that if you can help it...look what happened with Kenshin when they did that, or some might argue Patlabor, um, I only saw one version of that show.

That, and as I said before, Vic is a pretty popular guy with the fanbase and his coworkers, add that to the fact that you know he's DYING to play that part, psh, they'll give it back to him without a second thought. Aaron is more debatable, but I think he can do it...it'll just be deeper-sounding, but the spirit of tender, sweet Alphonse will hopefully remain.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
1.) This is awesome news, I will most definitely rent all of the OVAs, shorts and specials from Netflix Very Happy.

2.) That "announcement of theirs" better be about them acquiring the license to english dub the second series Very Happy.

And I, unlike the fansubbers, will happily wait for the dub, I haven't even gotten through the original series, I'm watching it on DVR on CN, By the time I get it finished, the new series will probably be dubbed and airing so i don't mind waiting, I've got anime to watch and Bleach Manga to read to keep me occupied.

Sorry for the late reply, but I rarely visit ANN Forums ever since I stopped getting topic reply notication e-mails from here.

Only reason why I am waiting for the dub is because I don't watch subs or RAWs Anime smile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4