• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation Announces Deadman Wonderland Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taco123

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
It's amazing what people will say on this forum. You can't stand Greg Ayres' voice? His voice is grating? He has an annoying voice? Really?

Is saying things like that no longer rude?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
Oh God, Greg Ayres, seriously?

Could've been worse....they could've hired Vic Mang....Migweld.....Mig27.......um, the guy that voices Edward Elric in FMA.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
taco123 wrote:
It's amazing what people will say on this forum. You can't stand Greg Ayres' voice? His voice is grating? He has an annoying voice? Really?

from a japanese sub point of view some people hate rie kugyima's high pitched leads or Satomi Arai who did kuroko's/okami-san narrator. I personally think greg is okay choicedespite his views on fan-subs. He did a wonderful job as sunohara from clannad and will be able to pull off angst ridden teen boy just fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
When I tried to watch this show in Japanese (not a fan, especially with the cheap animation during the early obstacle course run) I really thought of Greg Ayres for the role. Glad to see that he got it, and not Todd Haberkorn. When there's a wimpy lead male role, it seems that it is a toss-up between Greg, Blake Shepard, Todd Haberkorn, Joel McDonald, and Josh Grelle to fill it these days, at least that's my observation. Of the bunch, I'd prefer Greg.

That said, I am mightily pissed off at Funimation for the shenanigans that they are pulling here. They have been working on this series long enough to have it ready for dubbed broadcast, but yet they are just now releasing the dub cast, and AFTER they announce when it will be televised?!

The real source of my ire here is that they have made no announcement about streaming it. The Funimation streaming service is supposed to get everything first, or at least at the same time as the fastest viewing option, per their own ads. It is not supposed to be beaten out by network television! I don't really care for this show, but I care about the principle of "elite" video streaming being preempted by something as "plebeian" as a 12:30 AM network TV slot.

I'm as nostalgic for Toonami as the next guy (though IMO toonami is a weekday program from 4-6 primarily), but if Funimation is going to prioritize it over streaming, and go against the spirit of their promises for streaming in doing so, then I'd gladly see it fail.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
This is possibly the tightest dub cast I've seen from FUNi since, well...since I stopped paying attention to anything FUNimation puts out. I mean, Eric Vale. Sold. Greg Ayres is also perfect for Ganta. I'm only slightly worried about Shiro, seeing as I can't really imagine anyone matching Kana Hanazawa's energy with the character; I've only ever seen Monica Rial play more subdued roles, so this should be interesting.

So, yeah, who knows. If they utilize the potential they have stored here effectively, I may actually cave and buy a FUNi DVD set for the first time in years~.
OniTasku

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
Found the Deadman Wonderland anime to be an incredibly poor adaptation of the manga, as some have mentioned. The pacing was quite rushed, which skipped over a number of parts important to the plot and even wrote out characters entirely.

Obviously, the anime came on at a tough time (shortly after the Tōhoku earthquake/tsunami), so the plot had to be altered slightly. It was honestly just poor timing for the anime, and unfortunately it suffered from edits and poor handling of the project, in general.

That said, I've enjoyed the manga for what it is -- a psychological-drama and gorefest. It's entertaining, and people really shouldn't look much deeper than that. I'm sure it'll be right at home on Toonami 2.0 (for AdultSwim's anime audience, as well). I'll probably just leave the TV on when it airs, to help add to the ratings, and in hopes of future additions to the block that I'd actually enjoy.

In terms of the actual dub casting? Personally, I don't care for Greg Ayres. Not as a voice actor, and not as a person -- though that's really neither here nor there (as some people in this thread should attempt to rein their comments). It doesn't look like FUNi's A-Team lineup, but I'm sure it'll be decent enough for what the series is.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
Looks like a fairly good cast to me too. I won't be watching this series on CN, primarily because CN's not on my channel line-up. I will, however, be buying the series when Funimation releases it on DVD/BD (I'm assuming it's being released on both formats based on their past history, but haven't seen anything stating that specifically).
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:42 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

That said, I am mightily pissed off at Funimation for the shenanigans that they are pulling here. They have been working on this series long enough to have it ready for dubbed broadcast, but yet they are just now releasing the dub cast, and AFTER they announce when it will be televised?!

The real source of my ire here is that they have made no announcement about streaming it. The Funimation streaming service is supposed to get everything first, or at least at the same time as the fastest viewing option, per their own ads. It is not supposed to be beaten out by network television! I don't really care for this show, but I care about the principle of "elite" video streaming being preempted by something as "plebeian" as a 12:30 AM network TV slot.

From http://www.funimation.com/subscribe:

"Get English Dubs the same day they’re released on DVD and Blu-ray – sometimes even sooner. You’ll have them at least four months before they’re available to non-subscribers."

I don't see a single word there regarding television broadcasts. As long as Funimation follows through with posting the dubbed episodes the same day they release a DVD/BD (which probably won't be until later in the year), and don't make dubbed episodes available to non-subscribers until 4 months after that, they are delivering what they promised.

Releasing a DVD/BD box set requires the dub to be completed first; a TV broadcast does not. If not for the broadcast license, Funimation probably wouldn't have announced the dub cast for a while yet (as then people start requesting a release date), but once it was known they had started dubbing, they had little choice.
captokita

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
Meh, I'm a sub over dub fan, so I have a harsher take to dubs. I think some of it is a "Lost in translation" thing, some of it is a "lack of passion" thing too.

I'm biased, I admit it. The times I usually enjoy a dub over the sub is when I've seen the dub first. I just associate a character with a voice.

I enjoyed Deadman Wonderland. It's wasn't the greatest thing going, but it was decent. I'm kind of baffled that they picked this to run on Toonami, since it just ENDS in the middle and there is no more.

Here's to hoping the dub is good. Very Happy
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
taco123 wrote:

It would be rude to say that kind of thing about a person in every day life, because they can't help the way they sound.

But he makes a living off of his voice. He went into a job where he is being judged on his voice. He is putting himself in that position to have both fans and people who don't like him. And, because I do not like his voice, I do not want my hard-earned money going to him. I would much rather it go to voice actors I respect, such as Crispin Freeman, or J. Michael Tatum.

It's the same as any celebrity. Are you saying that you've NEVER said anything about a celebrity before?
mckg1

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
we will see how good or bad the cast is this sat Wink
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I must say I never pictured Greg Ayres in the lead role as Ganta for Deadman Wonderland..I would of personally preferred someone with bit more emotional range and appeal in the role but I can't really give my full opinion on Greg as Ganta until I see the first episode in English.
I have a feeling that I will like Greg as Ganta but I doubt that he will deliver this remarkably well done performance that will change his voice acting career if anything it will end up simply being an average vocal performance that will get the job done..I see that Lindsay Seidel is in the dub as well I personally haven't heard her in anything yet that I've been interested in I know that she is a new voice talent for Funimation who has been grabbing a lot of roles this year the biggest one being the lead in Shangri-La as Kuniko Hojo..I'm quite curious if she is any good or not I'll see when I watch Deadman Wonderland and Shangri-La in the near future..Well people are going to be hearing a lot of Eric Vale during the Summer on Toonami between him being the lead in Casshern Sins and having an important supporting role in Deadman Wonderland..Eric Vale usually gives consistently solid vocal performances in whatever roles he is given my only small issue with him as a voice actor is that he is far to predictable when it comes to his vocal range and patterns in his performances their is never any unpredictability which can be an weakness and a strength depending on the scene or the role itself I believe Eric Vale is a well rounded voice actor just simply not an extraordinary one especially when compared to voice talents like Kent Williams,Christopher Sabat,Vic Mignogna and Michael McConnohie but I do enjoy his voice work!Monica Rial as Shiro that's another odd yet interesting choice for one of the leading roles I'm sure Monica will be great as long as she doesn't use to much of an cutesy voice for the role which could be a bit distracting..Joel Mcdonald is no Mike McFarland when it comes to directing Funimation dubs but having Michael Tatum as the script writer will guarantee that the dialogue in Deadman Wonderland is sharp and witty!I would like to see more of Kent Williams in recent Funimation Dubs outside of his supporting role as Momoko in the upcoming Shangri-La!I'm curious who they picked to play Crow?I'll be among the many people who will be watching this on Saturday Night hoping for great results!
taco123

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
taco123 wrote:

It would be rude to say that kind of thing about a person in every day life, because they can't help the way they sound.

But he makes a living off of his voice. He went into a job where he is being judged on his voice. He is putting himself in that position to have both fans and people who don't like him. And, because I do not like his voice, I do not want my hard-earned money going to him. I would much rather it go to voice actors I respect, such as Crispin Freeman, or J. Michael Tatum.

It's the same as any celebrity. Are you saying that you've NEVER said anything about a celebrity before?

1. The job isn't about being judged on his voice, it never was. It's about producing an art. At the end of the day, the FUNimation director took him for the role. He never chose the role himself, he was the most qualified.

2. If you don't like his voice, that's okay. But I don't see why it is appropriate to say "his voice is grating" when you simply don't like the fact that he was matched with Ganta. You could've said "I am really not sure this role is for him" before you'd even heard a sample of him playing the role in the given context. But you have to jump at an insult, at someone who does this professionally, and don't respect the director for their role-matching. Maybe Crispin Freeman or J. Tatum didn't meet expectations or never auditioned for the role.

3. Voice actors you respect aren't always voice actors that are qualified for the roles. It's interesting, you don't respect Greg Ayres so you think he shouldn't get the role. If you respected him, at that point, he should get the role? And I hope your defense isn't that respect is only earned when you think they have a good voice. That's sardonic.

4. I don't see how you can compare a celebrity to a voice actor but okay, I'll bite. I don't make fun of celebrities just because I wasn't satisfied with their line of work. And I don't talk about celebrities' personal affairs simply because its too intruding.

Same thing applies to actors. I'm not gonna do this: the fact that this one actor got matched up for this role I didn't think they should get in this one movie is not fair so I will disregard all of their masterpieces and call them a terrible actor. I'll go ahead and watch the movie, then make my claim. It really gets to me when people jump to conclusions when they don't even know what the product looks, feels, or sounds like.
WEL

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
JDuks wrote:
It's not like we're hating Madoka. Deadman Wonderland is a third rate anime at best.

And that would be an 'opinion'. Not a fact.

And I'm not sure but I'm guessing you mean Puella Magi Madoka Magica or whatever it's called? I'd like to see that to give it it's fair chance, but overall I'd say the plot for Deadland sounds more engaging to me. Again - just an opinion. Much like your own.

sorry for my lack of English but you just said that DW has better plot than Madoka? I like DW but the anime does not stand a chance against a masterpiece like Madoka. Madoka is like a 10 out of 10 anime while DW is a 6 at most (but much better than Casshern though). Shocked
WEL

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
JDuks wrote:

It's not like we're hating Madoka. Deadman Wonderland is a third rate anime at best.

Funny, because I do hate Madoka. I think it is the worst magical girl series alive.

Don't go spewing your opinions out as fact. I think ANYTHING is better than what Madoka was.

I hate moe and the magical girl genre to death but Madoka is the very definition of quality. Easily ones of the best anime ever in the last 10 years and I would even dare to say one of the best since the creation of this industry.

Plot, characters, writing, art-style (only if you watch the blu-ray updated version), the anime is just incredible. And it's true that it borrowed heavily from the Stein;Gate game but the plot elements it took were so well implemented that it made them its own. Seriously, I have watched hundreds of anime and it's hard for me to think about a better anime than Madoka.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4