• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Proposal Officially Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farruinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
My question is how is Keanu Reeves going to manage Spike's hair? I keep on getting the impression that he'll look like he has an afro. ^^;

That was my first thought as well!
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
I just need to read the magic words "Music by Yoko Kanno, performed by the Seatbelts," and then we can be safe that it's going to be a good movie.

Not going to happen. No major American studio will risk being sued by hiring a composer known for plagarism. So apart from a theme or two I wouldn't expect much music that is connected to her.

This isn't the most major problem this movie is going to face. Casting (oh dear) and screenplay are much bigger concerns.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Yoko Kanno, plagiarist? Erm...may we request evidence of this?

Also, that sounds like how the Metal Gear theme wasn't used in MGS4 because Kojima heard the Russian piece that supposedly inspired it and therefore, no MGS theme, which made me sad...rant over
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
This is an awful idea.

There is no reason to make a live action Cowboy Bebop movie.

It is an entirely episodic story, that relies on the design aesthetics of being animated. None of that translates to stand-alone, live action film.

Also, Keanu Reeves is a terrible actor, etc....

I'm sure he was a "fan" of Hellblazer, but that didn't stop him from accepting the role of John Constantine. A character which he in no way even remotely TRIED to represent in the film.

He isn't going to play Spike. He is going to be cast as Spike, and play the exact same character that he always does.

Key creators being involved as "producers" doesn't mean anything. They are likely going to be producers in title only, and not have any involvement in actual production.

However, all my ranting and hatred aside...
as long as this film has no impact on future plans involving ACTUAL Bebop production (like a long awaited follow up series) then I don't care how bad this is.

Cowboy Bebop is exceptional, and I look forward to any new work by the creators themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
farruinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Not going to happen. No major American studio will risk being sued by hiring a composer known for plagarism. So apart from a theme or two I wouldn't expect much music that is connected to her.

Alright, I googled "yoko kanno plagiarism" and all I saw were a bunch of forum threads and blog posts. So, I have two problems with your statement. First, all that's out there are rumours, which I don't think would deter the producers from hiring her on. Second, on one such page there was a list of songs she had supposedly plagiarised. Too Good, Too Bad from Cowboy Bebop being based on Herbie Hancock's Chameleon was the only one I was familiar with, and I can say definitively that there is no plagiarising going on there. People need to realize that, in jazz especially, certain motifs, rhythms, and harmonies can be found in many different songs. There's nothing wrong with this, it's part of what defines a style. I have a far greater problem with those modern songs (R&B I think?) that use "samples" of previous works. That is blatant copying.

edit: also of note, the only sources the forum and blog posts cited... were other forums and blogs.

<--- See my avatar? That's what I'm doing right now.
majin1988

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Not exactly modest is he though, he says that he's a big fan of the show but yet he naturally feels that he ticks all the boxes for the main character and is the best choice for the role.

If he wanted to do it justice surely he must have other actors in mind when he sees spike, or does he look in the mirror and say 'hey, you know what? i'm the obvious choice for spike' or 'WHOA! I'M SPIKE!'

Then again i really cant think of an actor that i'd like to see play Spike.
anne_elise

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
unless Bruce Lee just came back to life, there is no actor ever who can play Spike other then the man Spike was based on... certainly not Ka-nu-nu Reeves...

and where is the actress who can type with her toes to play Edward?? and what do you wanna bet that they either write Ed out or turn her into a boy? *pukes*

and Yoko Kanno isn't attached to write the music... if this movie is made without her... it will NOT be a cowboy bebop movie... it will be heretical BS!
Acinom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Avarice_WP wrote:
Wouldn't it be cool if Viscious was in it? Too bad it's based on the Red Eye episode... Ballad of Fallen Angels anyone? (Don't get me wrong, I like Red Eye, but I get the feeling there will be only one Cowboy Bebop movie- either due to it flopping or getting panned by reviewers in America, so I would prefer to have the best episode the basis of the movie so fans get the best movie possible since there wont be another).

God yes!
*then comes down from initial excitement and shakes head forelornly*
Quote:
What's the episode they should be basing the movie on if not Ballad of Fallen Angels?

I am partial to "Sympathy for the Devil" but I'm not entirely sure that episode would translate too well on the big screen. Problem of course being distinguishing Wen from Damien (Omen) and the slew of other demonic children featured in Hollywood films.

Brain Scratch and Jupiter Jazz are some other episodes I'd like to see done (can you tell I'm a little too hopeful?).

Who here is hoping the three old men make an appearance?
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Okay, thanks Doc.

Bebop will bring action to the table, whether you'll get those meaningful bits, the series does well is another thing.

I guess what worries me most is Fox, since the have a way of messing things up. If they can step back and let the creative minds do their thing, allow for CB's mature kind of storytelling, then I'll be happy.

The best part of this whole thing, is that it might push Sunrise to get a second Bebop anime series in the works (something I'm sure we all want to see). While Bebop was never that popular in japan, it has a definite following outside of its nippon home.

Well, it seems to have worked for Slayers, Hajime no Ippo and Evangelion, giving us more of the good stuff, so why not Bebop. And especially in these bad financial times, the japanese should be looking to bank on what's good and what sells.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

It's just rantings from haters. The songs that she "plagiarized" certainly have some similarities, but it's more of a homage than outright theft.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Bebop is such an easy concept for a Hollywood movie... all they need is a basic story and that's about it. Cowboy Bebop is mainly very realistic in and is something that a lot of Hollywood movies are already good at doing.

..So why do they need to have the original directors and staff members for this movie?!

I mean, don't get me wrong, that's always a good thing to have, but they call in the original staff on a movie with such a simple concept that Hollywood is already used to... but they leave it up to custom talent and staff when it comes to a movie like Dragonball?

I just don't see the logic in it.

As for Reeves, I don't really know. He doesn't really show that much emotion, but then again, neither does Spike. (But Spike does show more than Reeves does in most of his movies) It could turn out for the better. I think it would be best to see how he looks in character before we start assuming anything.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

It's just rantings from haters. The songs that she "plagiarized" certainly have some similarities, but it's more of a homage than outright theft.

Except in the case of Cyber Bird - that's just theft, although I do think her version is far more epic. Most of the other comparisons are BS, though.

Back to the movie: probably the only way I'm ever going to see this is if they do get Ms. Kanno for the soundtrack, although since they're probably trying to market to mainstream America and not the existing fanbase of the show I'm not going to get my hopes up. Still, if you take away her music, it'll pretty much just be a space western with 'Cowboy Bebop' slapped on it, so who knows.

And hey, if I want a good movie about space pirates, I know where to find one. -snuggles Serenity-

Argh about Keanu Reeves, though. He makes everything he touches wither and die and not be entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Acinom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Bebop will bring action to the table, whether you'll get those meaningful bits, the series does well is another thing.

I guess what worries me most is Fox, since the have a way of messing things up. If they can step back and let the creative minds do their thing, allow for CB's mature kind of storytelling, then I'll be happy.

Not holding my breath, but I've got my fingers crossed with you.

Quote:
The best part of this whole thing, is that it might push Sunrise to get a second Bebop anime series in the works (something I'm sure we all want to see). While Bebop was never that popular in japan, it has a definite following outside of its nippon home.

Hmm. Wasn't that just when it was initially introduced? I thought it gained popularity later on down the road. 'Course this is my vague recollection of an article on a website (of whose name I can't remember, of course) that may or may not exist.
Quote:
Well, it seems to have worked for Slayers, Hajime no Ippo and Evangelion, giving us more of the good stuff, so why not Bebop. And especially in these bad financial times, the japanese should be looking to bank on what's good and what sells.

Whelp Slayers, HnI, and Eva are slightly different animals than Bebop.
With Slayers and HnI you can tack a new challenge on to the end of the series and BAM you have at least 13 new episodes and a shiney new story arc. Don't get me wrong, they're both enjoyable series. But they were just made in such a way that it made it easy to create more if the series was received well.
Eva I can't speak for because I've yet to see any of the new Eva movies that have/are coming out (they look swanky but I'm not entirely sure what is trying to be accomplished, aside from money, by releasing more Eva).
CB was pretty much wrapped up with spoiler[Spike's death]
You technically could delve into the character's pasts. It's not as if Bebop didn't leave possibilities open. However, that was part of Bebop's appeal, is that we weren't given an in depth tour of each character's past, especially Spike's. The appeal was in the ambiguity for me.

Last edited by Acinom on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Meccanica wrote:
Music music music music is what I want to hear about. D:

I might be able to suffer through a brain-damaged, frozen-faced Spike (here's hoping it's not that bad), but if the soundtrack ain't kickin', I ain't there.

Well, it'll only be kickin if Yoko Kanno is composing.

Come on Fox! This film needs her!

What's w/the Keanu hate? I like Keanu. That kind of stiff acting has become a style of his own that's become endearing.

Last edited by khryoleoz on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a huge Bebop fan to begin with so I can't be crushed or otherwise bothered by any of these developments. My only interest in any of these live-action adaptions is "will they boost mainstream interest and purchase of anime?"

Reeves may not be the best actor of all time but is pretty damn popular. Let's at least give him a chance to surprise us before we condemn this movie that might not even see the light of day. After all, if the movie is successful, it might be a shot in the arm to our favorite hobby.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10