• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Kids Station Cancels Its Hetalia Anime Run

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdsyukichan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Are you SERIOUS?

:|

I'm assuming we'll see it somehow (I don't know if you can watch AnimateTV outside of Japan? I'm guessing not.) but... still, this is irritating.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
everluxxe wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Aw, but I love the delightfully insensitive, offensive Japanese nature of it. It makes me say, "Oh Japan, what are your mother and I going to do with you?" and pat the country on the head as I scoot it off to play with its toys.

Your disparaging tone irked me so much. You sound like a hypocrite (or less harhsly, an aloof... opportunist) utilizing anthropomorphism and treating "Japan" as nothing but a mere producer of your "toys." I don't suppose this makes you discriminatory either.

Generalizing the beliefs of a whole culture (and/or fandom) is just as "delightfully insensitive [and] offensive." The author lives and goes to school in New York; it's not like he's learned only one side of history.

The blazing irony hurts my eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maryohki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Aw, but I love the delightfully insensitive, offensive Japanese nature of it. It makes me say, "Oh Japan, what are your mother and I going to do with you?" and pat the country on the head as I scoot it off to play with its toys.

You quite obviously know nothing about Hetalia and are trying to sound smart about it. Guess what? You're just making yourself look like a total idiot. =/
Jih2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
marzipan.dragon wrote:
Case wrote:

As always, thank god for the internet. Cool

Yep.

Oh completely agreed Smile

It really is a shame that Japan's been incredibly defensive lately though what with the Muslim groups calling for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to be done away with, which Japan did, and now with Hetalia. I was looking forward to this, maybe we'll get that first episode to our minds and eyes faster this way, who knows.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
...wow. I was not expecting it to actually be dropped. Surprising.
ChiisaiObake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I know it's unlikely, but I'm going to pray for a Crunchyroll release. (Because animate.tv is intimidating?)
tarito

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Well, that was way more xenophobic than Hetalia could ever strive to be.
Aikoh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
SDS-YukiChan wrote:
I'm assuming we'll see it somehow (I don't know if you can watch AnimateTV outside of Japan? I'm guessing not.) but... still, this is irritating.

Maryohki and I were also discussing this over AIM, and while that might seem like somewhat of a relief, there is definitely a chance that it might be region-locked, especially with this new development of international wankery.

But, hey, who knows? I am not about to give my hopes up just yet. Thank goodness for the Internet.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
With this show being cancelled on TV and possibly going to be net broadcast only could mean one thing:

BIG.

FAT.

HITS.

Now everyone is going to want to watch this show because of the controversy that erupted from it. And to quote Eric Bischoff:
Quote:
Controversy creates cash!
skyechan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Auuuuuuugh, and I was looking forward to seeing this too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malik_chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
I am furious. Are you happy, now, Hetalia haters everywhere? You've ruined people's fun for NO reason. All you had to do was just ignore the show and let us enjoy ourselves. But no. You had to wreck it for the rest of us. Good job.

BRB, laughing forever at your persecution complex.

You have no proof that Hetalia hate had anything to do with this. It might have to with the whole South Korea fiasco, it might not. Maybe they thought it would do better elsewhere or it's too much of a niche genre to bother airing on TV. We simply do not know.
everluxxe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

The blazing irony hurts my eyes.

If you're going to be picky with my wording, then to clarify, I meant he was educated in both Japan and the USA. Or did you mean my own educational upbringing? Now that's wandering even further off-topic (and I can guess where our exchange is going) so I'll leave that to your discretion.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Never seen the show, but not fan of censoring. Bad move.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
Are you happy, now, Hetalia haters everywhere?

Yup, I pretty much am. Cool
Aikoh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
BRB, laughing forever at your persecution complex.

You have no proof that Hetalia hate had anything to do with this. It might have to with the whole South Korea fiasco, it might not. Maybe they thought it would do better elsewhere or it's too much of a niche genre to bother airing on TV. We simply do not know.

I do have to admit that I was rather surprised when I found out that the series was going to be aired on a children's channel.

But it would be nice if more information about the television cancellation was released, but I have a hard time imagining what else could have contributed to it more than the South Korean protests. The author has also posted the news on his blog, but unfortunately, my Japanese is not good enough to see if he has posted any more information. In the meantime, I am no longer as disappointed about the cancellation as I initially was after discussing it with friends, who reminded me that international Hetalia fans weren't going to be seeing it on Japanese television anyway, and being reassured that it would still be aired on Animate.TV. I wonder when it's going to be uploaded there?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7