• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why did you choose your first manga in particular?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killua9101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I thought this is an interesting topic. What I mean is that when you first got into manga you had your first series, why did you choose that one?

Here is my reason:
My first was FullMetal Alchemist. I was at the Borders and casually looking at the comic section and decided to get a manga, which I had never done before. I heard my friend saying that Bleach was good, but when I read the description of the first volume it looked pretty boring to me (not now! Very Happy). So I wanted to find a series I would like. I read every title they had and stumbled on FMA because the name interested me. I had NO idea it was so popular. Read the back and decided that it looked really good so I got it. So glad I did because to me it was the best manga ever AND it got me into the whole anime/manga/otaku thing.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:43 am Reply with quote
Well, the first Manga I read was Gundam SEED: Astray

I chose it because I was already an anime fan and wanted to try something I was sure I would like. I didn't want something that an anime I'd seen was based directly on though because then I would know how it went. Astray was one of the few related but not the source material Manga I could find.
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
My first was Peach Girl.

I read an article about it (I think in Animerica) right before it came out and thought it sounded interesting. I picked it up, loved it, and started searching for more manga to read right away. ^-^
LatwPIAT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
My first one was Gehn: The Boy from Hiroshima which I read because it was the only non-book one day I was stuck in my school's library. It was probably also the most mature thing in the entire library.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Mine was called Super Mario Kun, a kids manga that currently runs in Coro Coro comics, even though I've stopped reading it. It wasn't chosen by me in particular, but rather by my mother. She chose it because it had characters I was familiar with (I was a very ardent Mario fan at the time), and I would be able to practice my Japanese reading. Coro Coro is designed for under age 12 groups, therefore all of their kanji will have furigana next to the kanji to allow kids to be able to know what the kanji says.
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I think Love Hina was my first, but I can't for the life of me remember why. It seems an odd choice; I normally just read fantasy. (Well, Love Hina does have fantastic elements, I suppose...) Still, I enjoyed it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
embarassingly enough (to me anyway), my first manga was Tokyo Mew Mew, which is odd because the only other magical girls that I've ever liked since have been Cardcaptor Sakura and Princess Tutu (anime, the manga looked too disgusting for me to touch, let alone let my eyes looks at).

Basically, I knew pretty much nothing about manga, why I chose Tokyo Mew Mew when one of my major gateway anime was Outlaw Star, I will never figure out. I don't even like TMM anymore, I sold it to a friend back in High School (like 2-3 years ago). But, it was because I thought that it was the type of manga that I was "supposed" to like. Its premise seemed interesting, I had maybe at that time seen some of Ranma 1/2 (I forget) and the whole transforming thing seemed cool. Some of my other earlier manga were Ranma 1/2, Jing: King of Bandits, Maison Ikkoku (the one I like most out of the early manga phase and still read on occassion), Tuxedo Gin, and a few others I don't remember or might've sold since. Of course, the previous list only makes TMM stick out like more of a sore thumb. I mostly got manga on covers and what looked interesting, strange how I now seek some of the most plain and boring covers I can find (like Maison ikkoku, which got me started on the idea that perhaps interesting covers are literally "covering" up for something, Monster, Parasyte, and Banana Fish), simply because many of my favorite series have less flashy and sparkly covers.
guet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
My first manga was Berserk. Quite honestly, I watched the anime and really wanted to know the rest of the story. I ended up buying all the avaliable volumes and starting over from the first one. To this day, it is still my all-time favorite manga.
sj21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:32 am Reply with quote
Mine was Beet the Vandel Buster. When i got this series i was just getting the slightest general knowlegde of anime and manga and a kinda mad because i didn't really know what i was reading.(mad at myself). But i started reading because at that point i was freaquently buying Shonen Jump Monthly. I saw an article on it and thought it looked cool. So i went out and bought the first volume and i loved it. It was super interesting and and a great choice. I'm only on volume 5 but my local bookstore never seems to replace manga that was bought so its all out of order unless you buy it.
megaflyman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I got my first manga at my grad school book fair. It was Yugioh volume 1 and it told the story about what happened before the the card games. I liked the at the time so I checked it out not understanding why I had to read it backwards. I did not continue the series since I did not have a clue where to find the other volumes. Looking back at it I funny seeing alcol, drugs, and Yugi's ultra ego killing a guy after seeing how 4 kids cut the hell out of the anime.

I didn't get back into manga until after Death Note finished airing on Adult Swim. After seeing the anime I decided the check out the manga. I went into Boards after Death Note volume one. Seeing that they we sold out of volume one and not wanting to start off the series in a latter volume I started browsing through the manga section. My mom called me on my cell phone telling me to hurry up so we can go so I garbed the first thing I saw. The title I garbed was a magical girl manga called Ultra Maniac. I got the first two volumes and enjoyed them. My next triped to the mall I got a couple more volumes of Ultra Maniac a long with the first three volumes of Death Note.

I enjoyed Ultra Maniac. It was a fun little series but it was Death Note that made me want to explore manga more. Even after seeing the anime I found my shelf really enjoying the Death Note manga even more than the anime. Even know what would happen I found my shelf just as shocked and even more chocked up when spoiler[L was killed by Rem]then in the anime.
se37

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
The first one I choose was Chobits. It was the first series I ever read to finish. The person who told me to get it was my ex-g/f as she was more of an otaku at the time (though I have surpased her now). I had never heard of the series but she said it was good. This was the point when I started to get into anime as well so I didn't know alot of series, when I read Chobits, the story and the drama in it was just so good and so different that I kept wanting to run and buy the next volume. I remember trying to find a few extra dollars around my room to buy the next volume of Chobits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Emichan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
In the early-mid 90's I was studying Japanese, and I wanted to find something to use as a study aid, and Ranma 1/2 manga was the only manga in Japanese I could find at the time. So that was my first Very Happy
Truered

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
My first was Battle royale Embarassed

I had seen the first film, and found it ok. Then saw the second a few months later, rewatched one, and found myself reading about it on wiki. From nowhere my interest grew in the premise and suddenly I found myself wanting more. Wiki had pictures of some of the characters, and I decided I liked the designs. I decided against the novel, and to collect the manga- those strange backwards comics.

And the rest is history... Laughing
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
My first was Ranma 1/2. The girl who sat next to me in my 7th grade English class usually had manga with her, and I used to unobtrusively read a few pages here and there over her shoulder 'cause I was curious. Then one day I was stuck without a free reading book, a rare occasion for me, and she offered to lend me a volume of Ranma.

So actually, I didn't really choose it Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Some Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
First: Oh My Goddess.

For the life of me I cant remember how I first heard of it, but the way the lead was characterized sounded so much like me I couldnt help but be interested. I was pleasantly surprised at how well my expectations were met, and I ended up going all the way to volume 10.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7