• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why did you choose your first manga in particular?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirWence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I choose Oh my goddess in the summer of 1995ish? (So I would be 9 lol) when I was 10 and bought it with a copy of green lantern 51. I choose it because I thought the girl look 'pretty' and it might be fun to read. Keep in mind the manga was American style so it just looked like any other comic book. I still own it in its slip sleeve and its still in brand new condition lol.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
My first was Trigun / Trigun Maximum

I had seen the anime before and really enjoyed it, but I wasn't really into the manga scene just yet. I knew what it was and how to read it, but I had never actually read a volume before. I was at Borders and kind of skimmed through it a bit and fell in love with the character designs, so I thought I'd try it out. Lo and behold, I was not disappointed. I read through the first volume in a day and now I'm hooked.
Kenshin_Himura93

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Actually, my first anime was Bleach. I just wanted to try it out because everyone else was watching it.

My first manga was Rurouni Kenshin. I just started to read it because i had heard nothing but great things about it. Sorry there's not much of a great story. Embarassed
animeaddict666

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:21 am Reply with quote
heyy my 1st manga was vampire knight.......
heard from my frend that its a really nice one so i read it online!!!
glad i did so coz itz 1 of the best mangas I've read!!!!!!!!!
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Wooga wrote:
megaflyman wrote:
I got my first manga at my grad school book fair. .

I really, really hope you mean 'grade school'

Why? Believe it or not there are actually a lot of older manga fans out there, some of whom didn't get into it until later in life.

d
I think the prospect of a grad school 'book fair' was the real reason they said that. Since a book fair is more intended for the younger crowd.

My first manga was reading my sister's chobits Anime hyper after that i was like...errr what? But then after getting into anime I tried reading some, and after I watched Gakuen Alice, I read the manga, loved it and I have the first 5 volumes now Very Happy yay.
Aikoh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
The first manga I ever read was either Pokémon, Sailor Moon, or Evangelion. My dad has been collecting comics since he was a boy, so I have been around comics all my life, and I thought that it was cool that there were comics based on the anime I was watching when I saw them in the comic book store. I later found out that it was the other way around, of course, but a lot of the early manga that I chose to read were the same series I was watching on TV or DVD.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Lol, I'm starting to feel old looking at this thread.

My first manga was Sailor Moon. It was around 98 I think, and I was browsing the comic book store for anything with kick butt looking girls, and there in comic book form was Sailor Moon, my at that time fave cartoon. Didn't even get my hands on an actual volume til much later. I still have those single issues somewhere.
Jupiter387

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was + Anima. I had gone to the library and decided for some reason to look in the graphic novel section. I read through series, stormed through loads of other manga and now I'm addicted to anime.
hypersoda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
embarassingly enough (to me anyway), my first manga was Tokyo Mew Mew

Hey, you're not the only one. I actually bought mine because the english dub had gone off the air (just so you know, I was around 10 or 11 when the dub came off, so I really had no clue how bad it was. Also, I still had dial-up internet) and I remembered how a) I had been watching an anime, b) my friend told me about how to recognize anime and manga characters, and c) some article in Nick (?) magazine that was about anime and manga. So, obviously, I went off to look for the manga version. And that is how I got into manga. Needless to say, I sort of grew out of it within a year (I mean, I still like it, but I'm no longer the fan I once was).
fusion duelist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
My first was Ghost in the Shell (the old edited one). I was at the mall and had extra money and thought I like the anime, I should check this out. It was actually a couple of years later that I realized the book was edited.
asura_wings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
it was a bootlegged edition of fushigi yuugi,then after two years i bought magic knight rayearth,my first genuine edition...i regret buying rayearth,i think i should have bought CCS what a waste.
Radjack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:44 am Reply with quote
My First was Rurouni Kenshin vol.01

I bought this one because I used to see the anime on TV when I was about 6 -7 years old.
My first volume ended up in my rabbits mouth though, and I lost it forever Sad
I'm going yo start buying the viz Big editions now.

(YEEE my first Post Rolling Eyes )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr. Brown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
My first completed Manga series was Chobits because my girlfriend at the time is in love with everything Clamp and had recommended it to me. I had also started reading Berserk, huge contrast in both art and story. Both amazing and really connected to me.
Pork Cracklins

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
My first manga was Berserk. Why? Well that's easy, after I found out the story which ends so abruptly in the anime actually continues on in the manga I simply had to read it. Now I have 100s of manga, though Berserk is still my favorite. I'm convinced the ending of the Berserk anime is actually a brilliant marketing ploy to get people into buying manga, hey worked for me!
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:36 am Reply with quote
This is an interesting question, my first Manga was probably Battle Royal Vol.1. And I'm pretty sure I picked it because A)at the time I was getting into anime (stuff like GitS, Macross Plus, etc...) and Manga was of course on my radar for that reason. and B)it seemed like a very muture, violent series, that looked and felt a lot different then most comic books I read at the time. For an impulse purchess it wasn't bad, but at the time money was tight and I didn't read past Vol.2. Not sure why I never picked back up on it, I liked it. I'm reading a lot more Manga right now, maybe I'll grab those big fat hardcovers they're putting out and start over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7