• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Ok" and "Cancel" do the same thing

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
When reading an old news story or article, if you click on the link to the discussion thread, it will pop up a message pointing out how old the thread is. That message has two buttons, labeled "Ok" and "Cancel". I would expect "Ok" to continue on to the discussion thread and "Cancel" to leave you on the article. However, at least for me using Internet Explorer 7, both buttons make you continue on to the discussion thread. While that isn't a big problem (you can just click back if you really wanted to stay on the article), it seems really pointless to have a "Cancel" button when you can't really cancel and have to continue on to the thread.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I just tried it for an old discussion of "Hey, Answerman!", and "Cancel" worked okay. I'm using Firefox 3 version something-or-other.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Hi Calathan,

I can't replicate this problem. Could you tell me what browser (including version) you are using and what operating system?

Thanks,

-t
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Could you tell me what browser (including version) you are using

*cough*
Calathan wrote:
using Internet Explorer 7

Works as expected for me in IE7 on Windows Server 2003 and also IE8b2 on Windows XP SP3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I've tried several more times, and "Cancel" still takes me to the discussion thread. I've also tried closing the message that pops up both by clicking the "X" in the corner and by right clicking in the top of the message box and choosing "Close", and both of those also take me to the discussion thread. I am using Internet Explorer version 7.0.6001.18000 acording to "Help->About Internet Explorer", and am running Windows Vista Home Premium edition with Service Pack 1.

Anyway, this isn't a problem at all for me, and I can't imagine it being a problem for anyone else (you can just hit the back button if you didn't want to visit the thread), so if it is hard to replicate and fix I would say it isn't worth the effort. I never even would have noticed this except that I accidentally clicked on the link to the discussion thread when meaning to click on the link to the archives for the column I was reading.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
tempest wrote:
Could you tell me what browser (including version) you are using

*cough*
Calathan wrote:
using Internet Explorer 7

Works as expected for me in IE7 on Windows Server 2003 and also IE8b2 on Windows XP SP3.

<sigh> I'm blind...
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
I've tried a little workaround for IE7. Is it working?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I've tried a little workaround for IE7. Is it working?

Yes, it works as I would expect it to now. The problem seems to be fixed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1