• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Removes Moribito from Weekend Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
But that's all besides the point. The Ani-Monday block is beating Adult Swim where it counts, the shows.

...you're referring to the programming block that's aired such gems as Virus Buster Serge or Sword for Truth. [adult swim] at its very, very worst (which I'd probably classify as Trinity Blood) is still waaaaaay higher up the quality scale than some of the drek that Manga has deemed air-worthy.

I suspect some of that has to do with the really crappy shows coming from the defunct CPM and were probably now incredibly cheap for Sci-Fi to air as a result. But yeah, those shows are awful.
herbkir

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, based on the ANN update, it appears the Adult Swim bashing may not be fully justified. It looks like the Moribito cancellation resulted from a licensing dispute, not an Adult Swim vendetta against anime and anime fandom.

The Sirabella post indicates to me the USA TV dub licensing rights reverted to Production IG in Japan when Geneon collapsed, and all Media Blasters picked up from the Geneon rubble was the DVD rights.

I'll bet CN/AS and Production IG couldn't reach agreement on the price and terms for the rest of the dubbed episodes, so the show's [AS] run has ended. It was probably a case of the Japanese wanting more than [AS] was prepared to pay.

At least it appears there will be additional Moribito DVDs coming so fans can eventually buy or rent the whole series. But Sirabella indicated that with the collapsing economy, the release of additional volumes may take a while.

Nobody wins when stuff like this happens. (^_*)

Last edited by herbkir on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann and Gundam 00 (and even that one-shot OVA they aired a few months back) blow Moribito out of the water so far it's not funny.
lapomposa104

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
if i die, please blame adultswim
Dx
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
But that's all besides the point. The Ani-Monday block is beating Adult Swim where it counts, the shows.

...you're referring to the programming block that's aired such gems as Virus Buster Serge or Sword for Truth. [adult swim] at its very, very worst (which I'd probably classify as Trinity Blood) is still waaaaaay higher up the quality scale than some of the drek that Manga has deemed air-worthy.

I suspect some of that has to do with the really crappy shows coming from the defunct CPM and were probably now incredibly cheap for Sci-Fi to air as a result. But yeah, those shows are awful.

CPM's library is pretty hit and miss. But you're getting Now, Then, Here, and There, which is far from "really crappy". That'll of course air on Superchannel in Canada...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
Well, based on the ANN update, it appears the Adult Swim bashing may not be fully justified. It looks like the Moribito cancellation resulted from a licensing dispute, not an Adult Swim vendetta against anime and anime fandom.

The Sirabella post indicates to me the USA TV dub licensing rights reverted to Production IG in Japan when Geneon collapsed, and all Media Blasters picked up from the Geneon rubble was the DVD rights.

I'll bet CN/AS and Production IG couldn't reach agreement on the price and terms for the rest of the dubbed episodes, so the show's [AS] run has ended. It was probably a case of the Japanese wanting more than [AS] was prepared to pay.

At least it appears there will be additional Moribito DVDs coming so fans can eventually buy or rent the whole series. But Sirabella indicated that with the collapsing economy, the release of additional volumes may take a while.

Nobody wins when stuff like this happens. (^_*)

I am sure the fans of this series are just glad some deal was worked out. One can't really fault [AS] on this case. But like Herbrik said, no one wins from situtions like this. Hopefully all of the details will be solved and this series will be able to finish via television or dvd.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
malik_chan wrote:

For all you know, Sci-Fi made a deal with Manga to just show only their anime and are not allowed to show any other anime from other companies.

If that were true, Gurren Lagann wouldn't have aired on it.

Nor would have Descendants of Darkness or Now and Then, Here and There. (If CPM hasn't been active, someone must be keeping their shows afloat or they wouldn't have aired.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
Well, at least the DVDs aren't affected so fans can still buy/rent those. I would love to get the rest of the series on DVD, even without watching it on TV first (to me, it's seriously that good).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Well, at least the DVDs aren't affected so fans can still buy/rent those. I would love to get the rest of the series on DVD, even without watching it on TV first (to me, it's seriously that good).

Yeah, but mass exposure on TV is the best way to get people interested in those.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

Yeah, but mass exposure on TV is the best way to get people interested in those.

Then why didn't they just air Moribito at an earlier time? That would've gotten it even better ratings.

Axed after ten eps = proof that [AS] WANTED Moribito to fail.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

Then why didn't they just air Moribito at an earlier time? That would've gotten it even better ratings.

Axed after ten eps = proof that [AS] WANTED Moribito to fail.

Because [as] are idiots, why else? I'm sure they're only playing anime out of some sort of contractual agreement. I'm sure they'd rather have Minoriteam or Assy McGee or whatever vomit inducing stuff they create being shown on a constant basis.
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quote
*points to the update to the story*

It's not Adult Swim's fault...this time.
Tokimemofan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
Thank you soo much adult swim and lousy "Producers" just when I thought my week couldn't suck any more you clowns screw this up?!?! Twisted Evil
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
this is the sound of me not being surprised in the least.

Neither am I.

Putting a fantasy based anime series on a block mostly based on action viewers was asking for trouble,viewerwise and reputatuonwise.

The series is no doubt excellent,but it's slow pacing don't attract the main viewers on AS,which is non stop action like FMA and others.

instead of that series for broadcast,they should've went for series people want to see like Claymore.Or better yet, the uncut epsiodes of Naruto Shippuden and the Funi version of One Piece.Don't you think it would've been better for AS if they have gotten those series mentioned above???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Moved to 4:30 am after the very first episode aired = proof that [AS] WANTED Moribito to fail.

Fixed

Apparently, the reason it was axed was because there were no further dubbed episodes forthcoming. That almost makes canceling it justifiable (they could have aired subs). Moving the show to that certain-death time slot proves their malicious intent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10