• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Galaxy Angel's Ōtsuki Launches Girl Love Variation manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I've been revisiting Galaxy Angel lately, and so this is perfect timing!! I was just wondering what ever happened to Kanan/Ootsuki post-GA. I hope to be able to check this out sometime. The summary makes it sound an awful lot like Simoun though, doesn't it?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
I've been revisiting Galaxy Angel lately, and so this is perfect timing!! I was just wondering what ever happened to Kanan/Ootsuki post-GA. I hope to be able to check this out sometime. The summary makes it sound an awful lot like Simoun though, doesn't it?
Aye, but the logic behind who stays female and who doesn't may be different.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I love Galaxy Angel but the character designs for this one is so...

Eh, I wonder if Otsuki will ever create another Forte.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

Maaan, what ever happened to the days of the mid-to-late 90s and early 00s, when every harem and bishoujo show had a six foot tall red-haired lady who could break a guy's back with her forearms? (See: Sakura Taisen, Saber Marionette, Rune Soldier) The Forte character type is one that's really gone extinct in recent years. Bring it back, I say!
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

Maaan, what ever happened to the days of the mid-to-late 90s and early 00s, when every harem and bishoujo show had a six foot tall red-haired lady who could break a guy's back with her forearms? (See: Sakura Taisen, Saber Marionette, Rune Soldier) The Forte character type is one that's really gone extinct in recent years. Bring it back, I say!

Haha, I don't even remember the token redhead 'butch' in those (well, I've watched Sakura Taisen and Saber Marionette). I really like Forte though (both in the manga/game and anime versions) and it was nice of Ootsuki to give a nod to Forte's female fandom in the manga.
aereus

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Judging by the character designs it looks like the tomboy will ----> boy. Would be a lot more interesting, honestly, if it would have been the timid one. But I could be pleasantly wrong I guess.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I like this concept much.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Futanari!
Annf

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

You know I'd forgotten all about that kind of character.
I guess Risty in Queen's Blade is sort of like that, but due to the show being full of various other types of super-human warrior women she doesn't really stand out the way those characters normally do.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
Myaow wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

You know I'd forgotten all about that kind of character.
I guess Risty in Queen's Blade is sort of like that, but due to the show being full of various other types of super-human warrior women she doesn't really stand out the way those characters normally do.

Well, she's not a redhead, but Naomasa might be of interest to you.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quote
^ I approve.
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Judging by the character designs it looks like the tomboy will ----> boy. Would be a lot more interesting, honestly, if it would have been the timid one. But I could be pleasantly wrong I guess.

You may be surprised! (I suddenly realized that you can read the whole first chapter (in Japanese) on the page linked in the article; click the black bar under the picture of the main character to the left, and then when a new window pops up, hit the silver button and the reader will open. From what I can gather, this series is... bizarre.)

dandelion_rose wrote:
Haha, I don't even remember the token redhead 'butch' in those (well, I've watched Sakura Taisen and Saber Marionette). I really like Forte though (both in the manga/game and anime versions) and it was nice of Ootsuki to give a nod to Forte's female fandom in the manga.

Forte is totally the best. I have a ridiculous affection for all the GA characters, but Forte is ~dazzling. It makes me a little melancholy that apparently the general otaku audience doesn't find characters like her attractive or cool anymore...
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:

Forte is totally the best. I have a ridiculous affection for all the GA characters, but Forte is ~dazzling. It makes me a little melancholy that apparently the general otaku audience doesn't find characters like her attractive or cool anymore...

I got the impression that Forte's fandom was always a little niche even when GA first rolled in the early to mid 2000s, and I'm always a little surprised when I see how big that niche is.

(edit: and, if it needs any saying -- I am absolutely in love with her)
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
This premise reeks the bait and switch lesbians trope. I'll be surprised if those two girls stay as girls after hooking up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1