• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Anime Fest to Be Combined With New York Comic Con

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Guess this was the obvious conclusion. I recall talking amongst my friends 2 years ago about how NYAF was basically being buried behind NYCC. I was debating on going again this year but I'll probably pass unless they announce something I'd definitely want to see. And even then, it'll just be a 1 day pass. I won't be attending the full weekend like I'd been doing the past 3 years.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
This article makes it sound like this is being done for the third time when it's actually the 3rd year in a row that the two have been combined. I liked it better when it was separate conventions. Now other than the screenings, anime takes a back seat to the comic con. Both shows were being run by the same people and they wanted to save money by combining them despite what the vendors preferred.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
As other people have said they this company really wasn't big on non-industry panels last year. The way I heard it they stepped on a few peoples toes from the anime con panel circuit which fill out a lot of regular conventions anime or not.

I hope ANN gets a panel this year they had some great swag to hand out last year. I got the hard to get half of master Keaton apparently for asking a queston.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
This could be bad, or this could be good.

Ever since the merger, NYAF was already like an embarrassing family member you're trying to hide out of the way of visitors - the first year at the corner basement; last year at the attic (though they actually had a nice skyline view).

At least now maybe, the anime show floor and artists will be on the main showroom floor where everybody else is, such as Marvel, Square Enix, Capcom, Intel, etc. With the big boys now! Laughing

Yoda117 wrote:
geishageek wrote:
This upsets me to to end because I liked NYAF when it was by itself. Being mixed with NYCC like it has the last few years has been insufferable. Never in my life have I had to wait online outside in the boiling sun for 4 hours just to get in the door, with a pre-purchased pass.

When did that happen? Never had an issue with getting in save for last year (and only on Friday). Lines weren't that bad once the initial registration rush was done.

Also, that's why ya look for friends who could hook ya up with vendor passes. Laughing

Yoda117 wrote:

Quote:
There is absolutely no room to move what so ever and to actually find anything anime related is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Damn straight about the traffic control. It seems that they have all of the bigger panels/events in the same area every time and it just creates a choke point. On the other side of Javits (or just a hall or two over)? Tumbleweeds. That's stupid no matter how you slice it.

Javits has been under renovation for years now. 2 years ago, they couldn't use the starboard basement. Last year, they couldn't use the main basement where they used to form the long entrance lines (and that's why the long lines had to form outside). This year, hopefully they get to use the whole convention center, especially since the attendance is becoming the SDCC of the East.

deidara517 wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Having gone to NYCC/NYAF myself, I honestly thought this had already happened. Other than the NYAF Artist Alley and... what was it, that space lounging area being on the top floor, and certain panels, NYCC was really the main presence there.

i actually liked the anime lounge on the top floor thought that was awesome and a nice place to take a break

And ya could go in and out without anybody checking your badge. *hint*hint*

Papochulo wrote:
Both shows were being run by the same people and they wanted to save money by combining them despite what the vendors preferred.

The Reed company was starting another comic con in Chicago C2E2 in the Autumn, which was when NYAF occurred. Instead of dividing their resources and competing against themselves, they moved NYAF into the Spring, when NYCC occurs.

It should be noted that NYAF was itself originally a spin-off of NYCC, when the anime portion of NYCC grew big enough to have its own con. So they were originally the same convention to start with.

yamiangie wrote:
As other people have said they this company really wasn't big on non-industry panels last year. The way I heard it they stepped on a few peoples toes from the anime con panel circuit which fill out a lot of regular conventions anime or not.

NYCC was always built to be the SDCC of the East, while NYAF --like typical anime cons-- tend to be more on the fan-run side. Now it's just becoming more like between industry-leaning Anime Expo and SDCC.

yamiangie wrote:

I hope ANN gets a panel this year they had some great swag to hand out last year. I got the hard to get half of master Keaton apparently for asking a queston.

Recorded their whole panel a couple years ago. Laughing
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't surprise me I predicted that this was going to happen eventually. I've only started attending both cons back when they were separate. Once they combined it with NYCC I immediately saw the difference. NYCC easily engulfs NYAF, despite the fact that people still show up in anime cosplay, but in smaller numbers. Many of the panels I've attended are two few. I'm usually there on assignment and after attending the professional panels the first two days, there isn't really much left. Last two years I went it just seemed that there just wasn't as much activity on the anime end.
Mr Boobo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
First off what would be the point of any anime VIP ticket anymore when there is no Masquerade. They have always had daily costume contests that were just floating in the background.

Each year they made the Masquerade (the main NYAF event) lesser and lesser. Each yeah the reduced the concerts down (there used to be 3 or 4) now with no Masquerade maybe none. But at least we'll get another cheap DJ.

I can't imagine any anime artists will be able to get in now that they will have to compete with comic con groups for the same spots. If they do get in good luck finding them.

Also yeah there is no chance for fan run panels. It will just be the industry panels which you could just read about on ANN.

I am sure there will be a few token guests, I bet most will still be anime VAs since they are cheap.

In the end I am just happy I am going to Otakon.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
It's been a few years since I've been. I went in spring 08 (was that an NYCC/NYAF combo or just NYCC?) but there were plenty of anime companies and guests. It was an absolute blast. I don't know how the con is now (I haven't had the chance to go back), but I'm interested to see where things go from here and hopeful that they can learn to blend the two, rather than to have the NYCC events swallow NYAF whole.
JediSamurai7

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote
Kamikaze Ghost wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
It's a shame because out of all the East Coast cities NY to me has the most Japanese culture and is smart location for an anime con.

There is of course Otakon but that's a little farther for NY fans. I am lucky because I live in Phila inbetween NY & Baltimore.

Don't forget about AnimeNEXT that's coming up in less than 2 weeks, which has been the only decently sized con that is truly an anime con in the NY/NJ area for these past several years.

I heartily agree with AnimeNEXT - other than when I went to ComicCon, it is the largest con in my area that I can go to - and unlike in NY, this is all focused to anime/manga.
shabaz92

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
rather than to have the NYCC events swallow NYAF whole.
Except this is pretty much what happened.

They should just drop the NYAF name all together, and hopefully they do that this year.
BigLL

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
It's been a few years since I've been. I went in spring 08 (was that an NYCC/NYAF combo or just NYCC?) but there were plenty of anime companies and guests.

That was NYCC in the Spring. That year NYAF took place in September (it was their second year).
JediSamurai7

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
At this point, it will all depend on the guests/panels/artists to see if I will even go.

I felt pleasured to actually catch Bandai's panel where they first announced they were going to be having "big" sales on their website last year (which sadly eventually turned into its shutdown etc.)

If I have to find anime artists in the middle of that mess of a showroom floor...I might bypass it...but there is still a few months so I will have to see.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I went and it was worse than expected for Anime fans. One room for anime viewings and that was it. Crunchyroll which had a booth last year wasn't around this year nor did I see anything from Anime network other than the viewings in the Anime viewing room. None of the vendors that used to sell anime and Asian DVDs were there this year, nor did I see any manga vendors. I think Funimation and Anime Network did have a panel a piece to discuss upcoming stuff but that was it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2