• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo's Youth Healthy Development Council Looks at Yosuga no Sora

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
And now I'm going to get swamped by people who somehow take offense to my personal opinion.
No, they'll take offense to your point of view that your personal opinion should be a basis on which others should be silenced.

Am I not allowed to find something immoral.

Fine, keep watching your incest anime, and I won't. But I have a right to find something morally destitute.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Of course you are.

The objection, of course, is that you want to IMPOSE your opinion of what is moral and immoral on others.

That is why people bitch at you so much.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
And now I'm going to get swamped by people who somehow take offense to my personal opinion.
No, they'll take offense to your point of view that your personal opinion should be a basis on which others should be silenced.

Fine, keep watching your incest anime, and I won't. But I have a right to find something morally destitute.

Its fine to think that something is dumb or not what my type of fetish... like your diaper fetish I think is really dumb. But should it be banned? Of course not, people have the right to like what they like.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Wed May 30, 2012 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I was hoping they'd ban it and the other worthless trashy incest anime that came before it
Value is not objective. If it sells, somebody clearly thinks it has value.
Quote:
Incest is an abomination against nature and humanity
No, inbreeding is just a bad idea(though I believe it takes a couple of generations of close inbreeding before anything really bad starts to happen).
Quote:
and I don't care what you say, I still oppose it for being abhorrent
You only feel that way because we need to keep the inbreeding down. Consenual incest is hardly malum in se.
Quote:
I have no problem with ecchi or hentai but perverse exploitation like this is crossing the line in my eyes.
Different people draw the line at different places. Live with it.
Quote:
I can't really work up offense at this case of trying to force your value scales on others, but I do feel the need to call you on it.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Are we not allowed to find your finding something immoral to be wrong or objectionable ourselves? Expressing an opinion does not immunize you from others expressing contrary opinions. The implication that by stating opinions contrary to yours, others are in fact trying to oppress you or deprive you of your right have opinions is ridiculous and a little contemptible. Freedom of expression means freedom for everybody, not freedom from consequences or disagreement.

I certainly find incest reflexively distasteful and I'm baffled as to why anime or manga about it appear to be 'a thing', but far worse to me is a suggestion that we should ban content just because we don't like it, no matter how strongly we feel.

Having seen other responses that appeared while I was typing this, I feel a little like part of a redundant dog pile, but Chagen46's attitude here reflects something that has somehow become a larger trend that occurs in all realms of public discourse that I really, really don't like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

This will be the result of your support of government censorship with the use of the word "ban", not your opinion of the disliking of incest topics of anime, and rightfully so.

Here's an opinion: [Removed. We're not going down that road.]

By the way: is your mom that nutjob that went insane over the Dragonball manga in a school's library because it showed ... dare I say it to you... a penis?

I'm guessing the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
By the way: is your mom that nutjob that went insane over the Dragonball manga in a school's library because it showed ... dare I say it to you... a penis?

No my mom is highly liberal. As am I, but even I have my limits.

And okay, fine, I retract the "ban" statement.

Surrender Artist: my point was more there's always that person who goes "You don't like X?! YOURE A HORRIBLE PERSON" even if I just don't like X

Ryan: there's better ways to word that...you sound like you're making a slight against my intelligence.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Surrender Artist: my point was more there's always that person who goes "You don't like X?! YOURE A HORRIBLE PERSON" even if I just don't like X

Thats because you never STOP at "I don't like X", you always have to go one step further and either call for it to be banned or insult people who do like it.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Dammit. I was hoping they'd ban it and the other worthless trashy incest anime that came before it.

What's funny is that with the omnibus style the anime adaptation took, one could avoid the whole incest route to begin with.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
Well the last 2eps weird me out but the whole series was all that bad
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well the last 2eps weird me out but the whole series was all that bad

It was pretty much the opposite for me. First 9 episodes was like a 3/10 for me, and only reason I didn't drop it was because of the promise of the Sora arc... and that arc ended up being like a 9.5/10. Amazing stuff.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Loved the game and loved the first and last arc of the anime. Didn't like the whole omnibus format (Amagami SS was better at it clearly) but it certainly was creative in the way they did it.

All I can say here is twincest is wincest and the show is victorious. Cool If I recall correctly, Aki Sora's volume 1 and 3 were banned/out of print because of this bill but correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Dammit. I was hoping they'd ban it and the other worthless trashy incest anime that came before it.

Kiss x Sis isn't really incest as only the twins are blood related. The other is a step brother who you could say is "half." It's also not considered incest until feelings are mutual. And if my earlier statement is correct about Aki Sora, then it "technically" is banned since the first OVA came with one of those volumes they banned.

The only other titles that you could be referring to then are Kuttsukiboshi, which only just finished despite starting before Yosuga no Sora, Boku wa Imouto ni Koi o Suru, which was a 2005 OVA and the 2004 Koi Kaze. Kuttsukiboshi isn't really incest except for that small scene at the end of episode 1 and more yuri/shoujo-ai than anything else. If anything I don't think it would be favoralbe to ban the latter 2 considering how decent they are, especially Koi Kaze.
drale

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Japan is actually starting to restore my faith in humanity. The council actually watched the show and saw the intent of what the art portrayed rather than closing their eyes and screaming their moral superiority like so many seem want to do these days.
The show is fantastic, in my opinion, and the VN was better. While there is a fair amount of nudity and sexual scenes they never felt distasteful and were instead seemed integeral to the story or the emotional appeal. The incest factor (spoiler[which almost leads to their mutual suicide]) is shown as something dark and definitely hurts those around them. spoiler[Nao is the only one who is accepting of their love and he leaves her after almost raping her in his lust during that arc.]

My personal opinion on incest is that if it occurs between two consensual adults and stringent birth control measures are taken, it really isn't anyone's business to judge. While I would never partake in the act, it is my belief that in the next 40 years or so (after this homosexuality controversy is settled) this will be the next great battle of sexual rights.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Polycell wrote:
If I'm understanding the article right, does this mean KissXSis would get the hammer? Mind my knowledge of both is entirely second hand.

I don't think so, since the MC is not actively trying to do his sisters... he's resisting, which would be a positive thing in their eyes, right?

Though Yosuga no Sora MC doesn't resist and they have sex like rabbits, so I dunno.

If you actually watched YoS, then you would know that the MC definitely tried to resist. There was this one scene where the MC crying sadly after finding his sister masturbating while moaning his name. And even after they have sex, the MC always had that "Oh God, what have I done" expression. It was clear that MC wasn't actively trying to do his sister and he knew the gravity of the situation. It's just unfortunate that his sister had to tempt him, but honestly what kind of man wouldn't be tempted if a beautiful girl tries to have sex with you?
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
drale wrote:
it is my belief that in the next 40 years or so (after this homosexuality controversy is settled) [incest] will be the next great battle of sexual rights.

TOO DEEP! But also too bad that I will be an old man by that time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16