• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lqq

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
I've seen the movie and found the visuals great. However I still agree with the overall bad rating. People simply behave too uncomprehensibly, so it's not possible to "dive in".
For example it makes perfect sense to me why the High Seeker would want to keep the girl in custody given the circumstances, though he might have asked some trustworthy Circle Mages for assistance for guarding and investigating the matter and especially for examining the girl - I don't think Seekers are much good at figuring out what magic effects she's under. (I haven't played the games so I don't really know what Seekers can do.) Why would Byron who as far as we know isn't a traitor abduct the girl and give her to a Circle Mage he trusts? What could he possibly be afraid of?
Another example is that on that first raid when they've circled the Blood Mage leader the Seekers just stand around waiting for him to perform some spell. Just absurd. In a similar way after the elf's house blows up the monsters mainly just stay around and let themselves be slaughtered, but at least they are mind-controlled so one could say that it's a rather limited control.
In addition to all the strange behaviour there are two things that are against my personal taste:
1. The huge amount of graphic violence and blood (head severing and so forth)
2. The fact that dragons seem to be just wild beasts. I like my dragons to be wise, and preferably friendly.

Also no info is given on why Blood Mages are evil (what would they do if there was no Chantry) or why the conspirators are helping them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4