• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Another Hikago Review?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote
There's a typo in the title. It should be "Hikaru".
Vekou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Anti-Mainstreamist wrote:
There's a typo in the title. It should be "Hikaru".

You've never heard someone say "Hikago"? It's a contraction of the full title. Same with "Ruroken" (Rurouni Kenshin), "Kare Kano" (Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou), "Hagaren" (Hagane no Renkin Jutsushi), etc.
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:55 pm Reply with quote
No I hadn't. Now I feel stupid Embarassed .
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Don't feel stupid. At first I had no clue what people were talking about when they said Furuba (Fruits Basket), Furumyu (Full Moon wo Sagashite), or Saikano (Saishou Heiki Kanojo).

Quote:
"I HAVE NEVER SEEN A YEAST SUCH AS THIS!”

I can only hope that the bread-baking manga makes its way to America someday.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Man, and I thought those three reviews were bugs in the Encyclopedia. Laughing
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:03 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Quote:

If they can bring the likes of Iron Wok Jan and Sgt. Frog over ... then this should be just another small step for manga. Let's see which publisher has the guts to do it. Very Happy
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
lianncoop wrote:
Quote:

If they can bring the likes of Iron Wok Jan and Sgt. Frog over ... then this should be just another small step for manga. Let's see which publisher has the guts to do it. Very Happy

I was somewhat kidding, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this show up in a batch of ADV Manga acquisitions. :p
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

FYI, Tokyopop is publishing "Sgt. Frog" and ComicsOne is publishing "Iron Wok Jan".
Hyperborean

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:18 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this is what he was referring to, but there's a series currently airing in Japan based off a manga of the same name called "Yakitate!! Japan" which is about a boy who aspires to create the ultimate Japanese bread (Ja-pan is a frequent pun in the show, since "pan" is "bread" in Japanese, as adopted from the Portugese). If I were asked to describe it to a Hikaru no Go fan, I would probably tell them that it's like Hikaru no Go but with bread. And no Sai.
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:31 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Patachu wrote:

FYI, Tokyopop is publishing "Sgt. Frog" and ComicsOne is publishing "Iron Wok Jan".

That's what it was saying. It said that if odd series like those were picked up(and they were), then it really would be no big deal if a bread-baking manga was given a domestic release.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:20 am Reply with quote
Anti-Mainstreamist wrote:
Proman wrote:
Patachu wrote:

That's what it was saying. It said that if odd series like those were picked up(and they were), then it really would be no big deal if a bread-baking manga was given a domestic release.

Right. Yakitate!! Japan would be a sell great in the US with the right marketing push. Heck, if ADV manga picks it up, they'll probably want to get the TV series too as an appropriate tie-in.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:52 am Reply with quote
Hyperborean wrote:
I'm not sure if this is what he was referring to, but there's a series currently airing in Japan based off a manga of the same name called "Yakitate!! Japan" which is about a boy who aspires to create the ultimate Japanese bread (Ja-pan is a frequent pun in the show, since "pan" is "bread" in Japanese, as adopted from the Portugese). If I were asked to describe it to a Hikaru no Go fan, I would probably tell them that it's like Hikaru no Go but with bread. And no Sai.

I was thinking more along the line of G Gundam than Hikago.

You know, I almost hate to say it, but this might be something that 4Kids mght want to take a look at. Outside of the cultural stuff and the occasional use of live steel, it's an educational and funny show. Besides, Azuma Kazuma is just a fun name to say. (So is FruBa, even though I'm not a fan.)
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:48 pm Reply with quote
4Kids doesn't want an educational show. If action or TV ads for toys aren't on the screen, kids will scream and cry and...god forbid...CHANGE THE CHNNEL!!!!! They want an action show that is a proven hit in Japan. That way they know it will be a hit in america after some "cultural tweaking".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1