• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Leijiverse of Possibilities

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RWGibson13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The original Captain Harlock series looks terrible today.

I say this as a child of the '70's, but what TV show from that era does look good to those today?

Quote:
The two Galaxy Express 999 movies, while still looking good, are paced so slowly today's anime audience will find it hard to appreciate them. It's sad but true.

And I (as a twenty-year old) fell asleep three times during a screening of 2001: A Space Odyssey the first time I saw it back during a comic book/sf convention back in, oh, (sorry, I'm so old I forgot the exact year) 1979 or so. Three freakin' times!

Of course, in my meager defense, it was a midnight showing on bad 35ml film (yes, they showed convention movies on film back in the day), and I'd been up playing AD&D all day (tabletop, of course), but you can't just dismiss a film on how today's anime audience might appreciate them.

And, yes, I know that is not what you did, but there is a larger point here and it is still important to say, even though it has been echoed a hundred thousands times before this reply.

RWG (always a younger audience to reach, and if we don't try to reach it, each percentage of viewers will have their Mike Bays to bow down to)
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
RWGibson13 wrote:
Quote:
The original Captain Harlock series looks terrible today.

I say this as a child of the '70's, but what TV show from that era does look good to those today?

Future Boy Conan holds up pretty well in terms of animation quality (judging from what I've seen, which isn't much but the animation is still very high quality for a TV series even if it were made today in the episodes I've seen, the art is good too, Miyazaki through and through), and it was originally shot on 35mm film so I imagine the Blu-ray box released in japan recently probably looks rather impressive in terms of video resolution/quality. While the animation is somewhat limited, Rose of Versailles has lovely art and excellent direction/cinematography. Also, not anime, but Dad's Army is fantastic. Of course, I may be somewhat atypical in my tastes, but these shows are enduringly popular compared to other older anime. I'm still not sure where the best place is to start with the Matsumotoverse (or rather, which bits are worth bothering with and which bits aren't). I've seen the first episode of Space Pirate Captain Harlock, and I enjoyed it, plus it's shorter than GE999 TV (I think it's half the length or less?) so it probably has less time to be slow and boring - not that I can't deal with slow paced stuff, I love Mitsuru Adachi's Touch, for instance, but I don't want to watch something that's the equivalent of modern long running anime series based on shonen manga like Naruto, Bleach or One Piece.

Last edited by UtenaAnthy on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Bamble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:41 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
I just saw Queen Emeraldas on DVD and I don't feel like tracking the other 2 episodes. Can anyone tell me why the last 2 wasn't released here?

The real reason is that the last two episodes were produced by a different company than the first two. It wasn't just ADV that didn't pick up the final episodes - no one did outside of Japan. Even France only got the first two episodes on DVD.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
The first two episodes to that Yamato remake are out, and it's surprisingly decent. I don't think the 1974 series needs to necessarily be scrapped or forgotten, it just needs some audio and visual restoration on BD to make it live again, and it's not as if the new series is exactly paced any quicker, by the end of episode two is where they finally launch the Yamato.

The biggest change is that it seems the ship has more women, and I do enjoy that. Yamato sorely needed more women who don't all look like Yuki Mori.
noigeL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
The most (unitentionally?) amusing thing about Gun Frontier to me is how everyone, especially women, react when Tochiro gets naked, with every single instance leading to a comment on how "well built" he is underneath his clothes despite his stature - just because he's Japanese. Yeah, with this and The Cockpit, there's an undisputed element of strong nationalism; unsurprisingly this is the first thing to be downplayed in many of his animated adaptations.

I'm wondering how toned down that sex scene with Tochiro in the Gun Frontier anime is compared to the manga, because I'm watching the series now and that scene was hilarious. Using a cheap warping effect on Tochiro's face to convey that he's having an orgasm? I must've laughed at that shit for two days.
timeldred

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
it's not as if the new series is exactly paced any quicker, by the end of episode two is where they finally launch the Yamato.

Actually, the remake is going to be paced very differently. They're already a full episode ahead (in the original they didn't launch until episode 3) and they'll be about three episodes ahead when the next movie comes out on the 30th.

After they leave the solar system, the story promises to be very different. So comparisons with the original shouldn't drag either version down.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
timeldred wrote:
After they leave the solar system, the story promises to be very different. So comparisons with the original shouldn't drag either version down.

I wonder how it'll do in Japan, because it's flatlined among people over here unless you're looking specifically for this stuff. Perhaps even that's too early to call, but I've seen zero buzz on the places I go. Being and OVA and not simulcast might add to that, but that doesn't stop talk about popular OVAs from happening.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
My only real exposure to Leiji Matsumoto's works is the original Space Battleship Yamato. I love this series because it has a very imaginative story, and the characters are very appealing.

I have a good idea of what Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999 are about but have not watched them yet. I really liked this article; the references to potato head characters were hilarious.

It is a shame that not many Matsumoto's works have been brought to North America. If any of you are interested, the original Space Battleship Yamato is being remastered and released on BD this July in Japan. It is not English subtitled tough.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/宇宙戦艦ヤマト-TV-BD-BOX-スタンダード版-Blu-ray/dp/B00799I584/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_3
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Speaking of Captain Harlock, whatever happened to the CGI film that they teased a trailer for a while back? I was feeling pretty hyped for that.

I've been getting into Yamato and Captain Harlock recently. The Yamato remake is looking sort of awesome, if a bit expensive on Blu-ray.

I was very excited about Yamato 2199 at first, but the animation looks cheap and the characters do not look very Matsumoto like. I rather import the remastered BD of the original series.
stararnold

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Personally I enjoy Leiji Matsumoto's stuff. Kind of sad it doesn't get more love in the states.
Well if Matsumoto was to consider commissioning a U.S. studio to produce a few U.S. animated series to feature the Leijiverse characters and mecha with a new look (not by Matsumoto of course) and alternate story continuity to meet sci-fi entertainment tastes of today's mainstream U.S. audiences (which he should have thought long ago in my opinion), the Leijiverse franchise just might win more love in the U.S.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Also, not anime, but Dad's Army is fantastic.

"Who do you think you are kidding Mr. Hitler, if you we're on the run?"

I see you have good taste!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3