• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Sci Fi Channel to Run Rave Master Fantasy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kinda odd really. I wonder if it was contractual or someone at Sci-Fi has no idea what the show is about. I'd really prefer if they just kept showing older shows, OVAs, and movies, like they did back in the day. And for them to be repeating Gurren Lagann already either speaks of being out of other shows, or Bandai wants to sell more DVDs.

Oh, and I believe they're re-showing Macross Plus again tonight.

If you check the info,Macross Plus is a 4 part OVA so the're not reshowing it again.

ALso was kinda susprised.Though they would go straight into season 2 just like what AS did with code geass,and i'm kina interested.Maybe since it's on midnight,it'll mean that the series might be redubbed instead of showing the edited versions.Doesn't that make more sense.

I guess with Sci-Fi airing twice as many new episodes a week, Bandai may need a bit more time to dub Gundam 00 Season 2, if it has been licensed yet. Sci-Fi hasn't posted ratings numbers, and hasn't aired sequel series before, but we can still hope they get it. AS gets Sunrise/Bandai's 2 seasons of Code Geass, Sci-Fi gets Sunrise/Bandai's 2 season of Gundam 00. Seems to work out with AniMonday's more serious tone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
#1 Damn it, I was hoping they'd go through both seasons Gundam 00 in one shot.

#2 I hope Gurren Lagann goes through all 27 episodes again, so my sister can finally see it.

#3 Is the Appleseed they're going to show the first CGI movie or is it the 80s cel-animated OVA?

#4 Rave Master? WTF? Like, the same dub that aired on Cartoon Network?
Effect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
There is no pleasing some people. People complain about how Cartoon Network has mistreated the anime shows they get over and over again. Along comes SciFi channel getting back into the game and treating it's anime shows surprisingly well at a stable time. Sure they are going to be showing something you might not like however it seems some would rather bash the channel and go on and on about how what SciFi channel has done is a stupid. So quickly do people forget.

SciFi's anime block was never geared toward any particular demographic or type of anime. It was simply an anime block. G4TV's anime block when they were still around was the same way. Both channels have and had treated anime so much better then Cartoon Network has in the last several years. There is no reason at all they can't air various styles of anime from hardcore over the top violent to semi-violent feel good fantasy or shows that might be aimed at a younger audience. Take a look at the SciFi channel itself. It's shows run a huge range all the time.

Looking forward to Rave Master as I never got to see the end. I really wish they could pick up Read or Die or Last Exile though. Love those shows and like Gundam would fit the SciFi's overall theme as a channel.
jedimaster5000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
This, I'm not interested in (since I already watched it). It's kinda lame too, because I rather watch an adult anime instead, like PLANATES, or even Witchblade
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
jedimaster5000 wrote:
This, I'm not interested in (since I already watched it). It's kinda lame too, because I rather watch an adult anime instead, like PLANATES, or even Witchblade

Witchblade is on IFC and Planetes is on ImaginAsianTV.
I liked Groove Adventure Rave but the editted version that was shown on CN sucked. spoiler[Changing wine to cola to protect the kiddys was stupid. The characters were still acting intoxicated. I didn't know you could get that buzzed off of cola.] I would be interested in seeing the uneditted version.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:

I don't understand how people STILL don't understand how Ani-Monday works. Ani-Monday is a leased time-slot. It's a two-hour block that is essentially owned by Manga Entertainment, and it is programmed by Manga. Think along the lines of how infomercials work, or how some movies buy time on Adult Swim to get showcased in bumps and things like that. Just it's two hours long. Or, alternatively, how FUNimation has bought programming blocks on other networks in the past. Or how 4Kids owned Fox's Saturday morning block.

So it's not Sci Fi who is really deciding what shows go on or not. Manga is entering into agreements with other licensors (mainly Bandai) and allowing them to use their leased television time to get exposure, especially since Manga is more or less out of shows they themselves own that haven't been aired.

Why the hell they got Rave Master, however, is beyond me. Very Happy

Hang on, you mean that Sci-Fi gets paid by the people who show the programs AND the people who show the commercials?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Yay. I like this manga and want to see the show. maybe if this does well hey could release the dvd again with subs/japanese audio.

...Unless the dvds already had that and I didn't know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bj_waters

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, I find this quite bizarre.

You see, I really hadn't been watching Toonami in the last few years, mostly because I have a hard time getting into Naruto and the rest of their block seemed rather weak. I missed the old days when Toonami went for broke a little more often. I mean, what are the chances now that something like Tenchi could be seen in a primetime slot for kids? Stuff like that was awesome.

Now when Ani-Monday decided to pick up Gurren Lagann and run it with Now and Then, Here and There, I felt that same kind of jazz, that people were trying things again. And now that Gundam is back on mainstream television (sort of), I was rather excited. It felt like Ani-Monday was turning into Toonami in a way.

But Rave Master might be a stretch too far (at least in the goal of being Toonami-like). Too be fair, I haven't watched all of it, even though the first few episodes made me grit my teeth. We'll have to see where Manga and Sci-Fi goes with this.

However, I totally agree with everyone who suggests that Ani-Monday should drive through all of the old Gundam stuff. I'd love that.

And as a minor note about Appleseed: considering Manga has the rights to the 80s version, I bet that's what they'll show.
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Why would want to show an anime that ends in the middle of the story?
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
This is the weirdest news of the month.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:

And as a minor note about Appleseed: considering Manga has the rights to the 80s version, I bet that's what they'll show.

They've aired the 80s OVA once before, so yes, that's what's on the schedule.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
jedimaster5000 wrote:

Witchblade is on IFC and Planetes is on ImaginAsianTV.
I liked Groove Adventure Rave but the editted version that was shown on CN sucked. spoiler[Changing wine to cola to protect the kiddys was stupid. The characters were still acting intoxicated. I didn't know you could get that buzzed off of cola.] I would be interested in seeing the uneditted version.

IATV is not a widespread cable TV channel, enormous difference in audience.
kynoki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
idk why people are saying tokyo pop fin rave master cuse thay only dub up to 16 or so then it was takein off the air Twisted Evil
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, Rave Master seems a huh? choice for SciFic given its past Toonami run, but thinking on it a bit, I'm glad Sci Fi switched to another genre for its next anime. Between Gundam on S-F and Code Geass 2 on [as], I'm getting mecha burned out, and I'm not even a fan of mecha. But fantasy, I have a longer tolerance point, even if it's an odd choice like Rave Master.

As long as everyone's wishing for something (old Gundam would be great for Sci Fi, I completely agree), why not better fantasy series like Fushigi Yugi (just ignore Miaki and enjoy the adventure) or even better Twelve Kingdoms (an excellent counterpart to as Moribito...if it ever continues there).
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
You know, as much as I hate stuff like Blue Dragon, and complain that 99% of the anime on TV in Canada on channels people actually have has been tampered with, I am actually genuinely jealous about this rebroadcast of Rave Master.

Rave Master holds a special place in my heart. It was the very first manga series I actually found on my own (ie. I didn't see the anime first, nor was I recommended it by friends), as well as being the very first manga outside of stuff in US Shonen Jump that I've read.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Unfortunately, as long as Tokyopop maintains their stranglehold on the license, don't expect uncut DVDs in the near future.

FUNimation Entertainment holds the DVD Distribution rights now to all of TokyoPop's anime catalogue now. Maybe if the company shows some effort they can pull out uncut DVDs like they did for the last few Beyblade G-Revolution DVDs they put out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6