• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cardfight!! Vanguard Anime Streamed with English Dub on YouTube

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
B) Why on earth would you want the name used in the advertisement to not match the name used on the product? That's not pointless Americanization, that's simple consistency.

If the product was heavily altered via another company, then it should be ignored to keep the original story and content intact and dub/sub the anime as it is (such as, say, some video game anime. Sadly, Viz didn't do this and still used Funi's awful dub for the Detective Conan manga)

Especially in cases when it's going to be completely counteractive to the show itself and cause confusion. Hypothetical example: if Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters got this kind of faithful dub, yet the card game was still ruined by Upperdeck/Konami and they insisted on using those names, how on Earth do you handle the spirit of the ring's duel with the other Yugi? He plays a deck revolving around summoning the letters D E A T and H, and when he assembles all 5, he can perform a ritual to kill his opponent. The card game (and 4Kids dub) censored this to F I N A L and made it happier to avoid occult and death. Does he say "I play the 'I' card" when he puts down an 'E' and we see a demonic looking E pop up? Talk about confusing.

Thankfully though, Vanguard seems to have escaped that for the most part so it's a non-issue. The card game is very competently handled.

Primus wrote:
In what universe is it xenophobic to ask for a show dubbed into English, with English dubbed intros/outros, English credits, title cards, and interstitials to have the products it's selling be in the same language? Because this show will stay online only it probably wasn't worth the visual edit effort.

Same reason most companies don't edit Japanese text, and just offer a little note on the screen for what a sign or building says. You're editing the original art of the show at that point. Trying to erase any hint of Japanese is what bad companies do.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Polycell wrote:
B) Why on earth would you want the name used in the advertisement to not match the name used on the product? That's not pointless Americanization, that's simple consistency.

If the product was heavily altered via another company, then it should be ignored to keep the original story and content intact and dub/sub the anime as it is (such as, say, some video game anime. Sadly, Viz didn't do this and still used Funi's awful dub for the Detective Conan manga)
The decision to Americanize Detective Conan was made in Japan to increase the appeal to American children; Funi and Viz had zero say in the matter. At any rate, we're not talking about an adaptation and its source, we're talking about a card game and an anime created to advertise it.
Quote:
Especially in cases when it's going to be completely counteractive to the show itself and cause confusion. Hypothetical example: if Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters got this kind of faithful dub, yet the card game was still ruined by Upperdeck/Konami and they insisted on using those names, how on Earth do you handle the spirit of the ring's duel with the other Yugi? He plays a deck revolving around summoning the letters D E A T and H, and when he assembles all 5, he can perform a ritual to kill his opponent. The card game (and 4Kids dub) censored this to F I N A L and made it happier to avoid occult and death. Does he say "I play the 'I' card" when he puts down an 'E' and we see a demonic looking E pop up? Talk about confusing.
So you're saying the purpose of the anime should be ganked to preserve its integrity? The licensors don't care - they want it to appeal to the same age groups and work as an advertisement for the merch. If they change the merch to get the appeal, of course they'll want the advertisement changed to match. Sing all the paeans to the story of the thing that you want, but it's only there to sell the product. Actually, the example you gave seems like a perfect example of incompetence Japan-side - they failed to keep their commercial and their product sanely synchronous.
Quote:
Same reason most companies don't edit Japanese text, and just offer a little note on the screen for what a sign or building says. You're editing the original art of the show at that point. Trying to erase any hint of Japanese is what bad companies do.
Except fansubs have been known to block out the original Japanese text in favor of the English translation. Professional distributors don't have access to the power of ASS, so they have to edit the video track to get the same effect. And, again, the purpose it serves is to advertise the cards - why should American kids gets short shrift while Japanese kids get to see replicas of the local version of the cards? Why should American kids be given a hard time finding their favorite cards?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:38 am Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYcRsan7yRg

They uploaded a commercial, is this a British venture?

Certainly the most white man doing a japanese scripted vo ever, that's for sure.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I don't see what's wrong about translating the card text for a show meant to sell trading cards to kids. This isn't like they named Aichi to something overtly western like Andrew, and have re-written the story to say it takes place in New York. It's just a translation of the cards... It isn't some form of masquerading behind the fact it's Japanese, but rather just providing an easier experience for their target audience.

That said, given that this show's dub is premiering online I think it's safe to say they're not getting a North American broadcast partner, and that's really the only venue that would make that much digital paint worth it.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
...Isn't it a bit strange that the ANN link that has all the info on this show, there isn't a think saying that is was licensed. Most other shows I see, it tells you that like Bandai, Funimation, or someone has rights to it, but this one doesn't.

Did they just dub it because they could or did they work out some kind of deal?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

It says in the credits it's TMS. I'm assuming it was a directly-contracted dub via the original owners. I think a similar case was the Pretty Cure dub that aired in Canada being commissioned directly by Toei. That is, if I'm remembering it right.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

It says in the credits it's TMS. I'm assuming it was a directly-contracted dub via the original owners. I think a similar case was the Pretty Cure dub that aired in Canada being commissioned directly by Toei. That is, if I'm remembering it right.

So, the Japanese company asked them to dub it? Guess that makes since, but it's sort of sad that they'll most likely never get a real release. I know Toei had some other things dubbed, like Slam Dunk and Air Master, but gave up on the releases.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
So you're saying the purpose of the anime should be ganked to preserve its integrity? The licensors don't care - they want it to appeal to the same age groups and work as an advertisement for the merch. If they change the merch to get the appeal, of course they'll want the advertisement changed to match. Sing all the paeans to the story of the thing that you want, but it's only there to sell the product. Actually, the example you gave seems like a perfect example of incompetence Japan-side - they failed to keep their commercial and their product sanely synchronous.

Well first off, like it or not, but just because it's a tie in to a product doesn't mean people don't watch it without buying said product, or can enjoy it for it's story. God knows I'd rather watch Digimon Adventure than a 'non commercial' (and I say that with heavy sarcasm) anime like Bleach or One Piece or Naruto. After all, Japan put loads of effort into it, so why can't the American company? How would you feel if Madoka was cut up to promote the TCG. A show's purpose is to entertain, first and foremost.

Second, how on earth is that Japan's fault? It's DEATH in the Japanese card game and anime. Consistency is right there. It's only "FINAL" in the edited American version because they had to remove all violence and death in the show because it's 4Kids and that's what they do. It's entirely the American companies fault for editing things and being generally dumb.

Quote:
And, again, the purpose it serves is to advertise the cards - why should American kids gets short shrift while Japanese kids get to see replicas of the local version of the cards? Why should American kids be given a hard time finding their favorite cards?

Because if you're not Japanese, you're always going to be at at disadvantage.

Has Funi licensed more than one One Piece movie yet? No. How about the OVAs? No. Think they'll ever license the Dragon Ball x One Piece crossover? Maybe, since they own both licenses. How about One Piece x Toriko? Probably not unless they get that anime license. What about the games? Some games use the 4Kids VAs and some use the Funi VAs, so you don't get the same luxury as Japan which all use the same Japanese VAs.

Hell, there's still a lot of OVAs and special episodes of Pocket Monsters neither 4Kids or the current company have ever brought over. Despite them butchering the show to match the games, American kiddies are still getting screwed over.

Americans are always going to be at a disadvantage compared to Japanese fans. Personally, I'd argue why should American fans get screwed out of a faithful dub that doesn't edit everything more than anything. So yes, if the tie in is a lost cause, then ignore it and let the show keep it's integrity. Just like the dubbers for Star Ocean EX didn't get the horrendous English VAs or name changes from the game. In these instances, we have to be frank and say "If you're honestly a fan of the bad English product, you don't deserve this series. Please do not drag the rest of us down because of your bad taste."

Luckily, Vanguard seems to be doing just that.

Primus wrote:
I don't see what's wrong about translating the card text for a show meant to sell trading cards to kids. This isn't like they named Aichi to something overtly western like Andrew, and have re-written the story to say it takes place in New York. It's just a translation of the cards... It isn't some form of masquerading behind the fact it's Japanese, but rather just providing an easier experience for their target audience.

Do they even do this for any anime on TV that isn't an edited dub only? I don't recall Naruto or Tenchi, or One Peice ever changing the kanji or katakana when they were on TV.

Do they even do it on DVDs that aren't edited dub only? It just seems like a weird practice I've never seen outside those dubs.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Do they even do this for any anime on TV that isn't an edited dub only? I don't recall Naruto or Tenchi, or One Peice ever changing the kanji or katakana when they were on TV.

Do they even do it on DVDs that aren't edited dub only? It just seems like a weird practice I've never seen outside those dubs.

None of those shows are shows aimed at 8 year olds with the sole intention of selling them trading cards. But yes, there has been cases with shows where text on signs have been replaced to their English translation.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Well first off, like it or not, but just because it's a tie in to a product doesn't mean people don't watch it without buying said product, or can enjoy it for it's story. God knows I'd rather watch Digimon Adventure than a 'non commercial' (and I say that with heavy sarcasm) anime like Bleach or One Piece or Naruto. After all, Japan put loads of effort into it, so why can't the American company? How would you feel if Madoka was cut up to promote the TCG. A show's purpose is to entertain, first and foremost.
Madoka wasn't made to advertise a card game. That is the purpose of Cardfight!! Vanguard, Yu-Gi-Oh!, etc, first and foremost. Entertainment is a secondary concern. If you're not interested in the card game, you are not in the primary target audience.
Quote:
Second, how on earth is that Japan's fault? It's DEATH in the Japanese card game and anime. Consistency is right there. It's only "FINAL" in the edited American version because they had to remove all violence and death in the show because it's 4Kids and that's what they do. It's entirely the American companies fault for editing things and being generally dumb.
Your last post implies Konami made the decision. If it was 4Kids acting alone, it is completely irrelevant to the point at hand and is of a completely different class of edits.
Quote:
Because if you're not Japanese, you're always going to be at at disadvantage.

Has Funi licensed more than one One Piece movie yet? No. How about the OVAs? No. Think they'll ever license the Dragon Ball x One Piece crossover? Maybe, since they own both licenses. How about One Piece x Toriko? Probably not unless they get that anime license. What about the games? Some games use the 4Kids VAs and some use the Funi VAs, so you don't get the same luxury as Japan which all use the same Japanese VAs.

Hell, there's still a lot of OVAs and special episodes of Pocket Monsters neither 4Kids or the current company have ever brought over. Despite them butchering the show to match the games, American kiddies are still getting screwed over.

Americans are always going to be at a disadvantage compared to Japanese fans. Personally, I'd argue why should American fans get screwed out of a faithful dub that doesn't edit everything more than anything. So yes, if the tie in is a lost cause, then ignore it and let the show keep it's integrity. Just like the dubbers for Star Ocean EX didn't get the horrendous English VAs or name changes from the game. In these instances, we have to be frank and say "If you're honestly a fan of the bad English product, you don't deserve this series. Please do not drag the rest of us down because of your bad taste."

Luckily, Vanguard seems to be doing just that.
Ever heard the phrase "non sequitur"? Nothing in that rant follows from my argument. If American kids watch and get interested in the card game, as is the whole point of making the anime, making it unnecessarily difficult to find their favorite cards because the names got changed for the card game but reflecting that in the anime would be "unfaithful" isn't "best practices", but just plain idiotic. If a character plays a card that happens to be called "Genocide Jack" in the Japanese card game, it should be called "Genocide Jack" on the Japanese language track. If it's called "Brutal Jack" in English version, they should say "Brutal Jack" in the English dub. It's no worse than changing "Nippon" to "Japan" - the English and Japanese names were decide outside the anime, so they should be reflected within. But your little implication that a name change, to target the same demographic, automatically makes something "bad" pretty clearly shows you refuse to accept the legitimacy of foreign media localized for kids - and the concomitant need to dodge a different set of moral panics - instead of fans.
Quote:
Primus wrote:

DVDs and BDs can have multiple versions of the same scene, for that exact purpose.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ever heard the phrase "non sequitur"? Nothing in that rant follows from my argument.

Of course it doesn't, Titan uses any chance he can get to rant about localization.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Remember the days when Ocean Productions was hired to do voices for anime, they would actually use their Vancouver studio... with great voice actors? In the past few years, nearly every anime dub from Ocean has used CALGARY talent from their cheaper Blue Water studio. Pretty Cure, Deltora Quest, Hunter X Hunter, Vanguard, etc have all used these guys... even some newer Mega Man games... Seriously, when was the last VANCOUVER English dub (other than Inuyasha: The Final Act)? Even Powerpuff Girls Z's English dub used Vancouver talent. If it was done now, it would almost certainly use Calgary talent. The only talented voice actor in Calgary is Carol Anne Day...

Seriously, their dubs suck. When I was watching Deltora Quest on The Hub, I was in shock that they actually let that trash be heard on national television (which is a shame, because it was a decent anime), and their dub of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT for EuroCanadian broadcast was borderline laughable...

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad this series got an English dub, but I can't help but be a little disappointed at the quality.

Maybe they're too busy voicing My Little Pony and Johnny Test. Ocean doesn't just do anime. Bang Zoom, New Generation Pictures, NYAV Post, Studiopolis--they take whatever work they can get. Audiobooks, TV commercials, Western cartoons, video games, live-action foreign films, anime--whatever brings in the money. Remember, voice actors are part of the 99%, too.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Madoka wasn't made to advertise a card game.

You're incredibly naive if you think Madoka isn't a merchandising show.

Quote:
That is the purpose of Cardfight!! Vanguard, Yu-Gi-Oh!, etc, first and foremost. Entertainment is a secondary concern. If you're not interested in the card game, you are not in the primary target audience.

That's amazing given Yu-Gi-Oh predates it's own card game by a few years.

Also, another naive thing to say. You might as well say if you're not interested in the manga of an anime, then you're not the primary target audience of the show. Since anime is just advertisments for the manga 99% of the time.

Quote:
Your last post implies Konami made the decision. If it was 4Kids acting alone, it is completely irrelevant to the point at hand and is of a completely different class of edits.

Even if it was Konami, what does that have to do with Japan? Konami America is not Konami Japan.

Quote:
Ever heard the phrase "non sequitur"? Nothing in that rant follows from my argument.

It does if you're not narrow minded. If you're American, you're scewed as an anime fan anyway, so your argument has no weight.

Quote:
If American kids watch and get interested in the card game, as is the whole point of making the anime, making it unnecessarily difficult to find their favorite cards because the names got changed for the card game but reflecting that in the anime would be "unfaithful" isn't "best practices", but just plain idiotic.

You do realize cards premier in the show long before the actual game, yes? Often time about a year or so. In that regard, the anime has seniority, since not every card in these anime is made into a real card. No one can logically look for their favorite cards from the game in the anime if the anime came first.

Quote:
But your little implication that a name change, to target the same demographic, automatically makes something "bad" pretty clearly shows you refuse to accept the legitimacy of foreign media localized for kids - and the concomitant need to dodge a different set of moral panics - instead of fans.

If you have to gut anime to the point Yu-Gi-Oh did to target little kids, then maybe you shouldn't target anime at little kids; that's the only reason Bleach airs on Adult Swim despite being a children's show in Japan. Though for the record, Yu-Gi-Oh was not aimed at (little) children in Japan, the Japanese booster quite clearly say it's for teenagers 13+. The whole problem lies when you try to market it to 6 year olds like they did in America. A show that involves murder, rape, blood, religious overtones, complex character backstories and plots, themes of revenge and survivor-guilt and other things.

To say nothing of the rules of the game themselves, which no 5 year old is going to fully comprehend, at least to the point of competitive play, which is why all the World Champions so far have been adults. Likewise, if you want to use a card game that often shows images of religion, sacrifices, blood, and other things you'd find in your typical Magic the Gathering cards, maybe you shouldn't try selling it to people who just got out of diapers.

If you have to do all that, then yes, I am against localization for kids. Where they have to change and edit virtually every card printed in the English edition. You're basically justifying the idea of taking a video game series like Silent Hill, removing all the horror and gore from it, and repacking it for kids because 'it's a game, games are for kids, you're not it's target audience.'

This reminds me of that awful Powerpuff Girls Z dub which tried to make it fit into the original show. Removing all the characters names and just calling them Blossom/Bubbles/Buttercup/Princess/etc, just so fans of the original American show would be more comfortable and understand it better. Sorry, but no. Appealing to those people is not how you probably handle shows.
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
Blue Water Studios:

http://toonvox.com/toonvox-on-cbc/

*facepalm*
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
Seems they're advertising the heck out of this even without a TV broadcast. On Thursday, here's another spot where ya don't usually see anime ads - June 7 2012 Japanese phenom Yu Darvish pitching at Oakland A's (and getting his ass handed to him): Laughing

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3