• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kujibiki Unbalance GN 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
In all seriousness, the only "good" thing about this book is the Genshiken extra comic that comes with the book. I barely managed to finish the first volume without shaking my head and wondering what I just read. Even the Kujibiki series is even better than this, and since I bought the first volume and watched the entire series, that is saying a ton.

I just hope Genshiken 2 is licensed this year or maybe next year. After the ova special's of Kujibiki Unbalance, the rest of the series is nothing special at all. The fact that Carlos was able to finish the volume and give a respectable review is impressive in it self.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
In all seriousness, the only "good" thing about this book is the Genshiken extra comic that comes with the book.

So apparently you haven't checked out the other two manga by Keito Koume. Wink It's the art style that is sought after.

Owner of the other two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I just hope Genshiken 2 is licensed this year or maybe next year. After the ova special's of Kujibiki Unbalance, the rest of the series is nothing special at all. The fact that Carlos was able to finish the volume and give a respectable review is impressive in it self.

I think Media Blasters already licensed it a while ago, they just haven't bothered to release it yet for some reason.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
I'm probably the only one who has any appreciation for Kujibiki Unbalance. I recognize it for the satire it is, and if you just don't think while you read or watch this series and expect anything from it, it really is entertaining in its own way, and I even found the crazier moments fun. It may be nonsensical and cliched, but it's obviously intentional and to me it's all part of its charm. It even feels kind of nostalgic as it pays homage to almost all otaku elements and standard storylines that I've watched both recently and as much as ten years ago; maybe 'paying homage' isn't the intention, but that's what it feels like to me. It has some of its funny moments and the characters are cute, likeable and empathetic in their own ways, but again, I'm speaking for myself. Like Strawberry Panic, which is a satire of the Yuri genre, you either like Kujibiki Unbalance or you don't for whatever legitimate reasons, but I just can't dislike this series.

I also look forward to Genshiken 2, even though I've caught up with the story in the manga.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
In all seriousness, the only "good" thing about this book is the Genshiken extra comic that comes with the book.

So apparently you haven't checked out the other two manga by Keito Koume. :wink: It's the art style that is sought after.

Owner of the other two.

Actually I have read Spice and Wolf, but I've never even heard of the second series before now. I didn't really get into Spice and Wolf, but I heard the series is well done. If the female cast in that other manga are adults and if the series isn't too violent, I might check it out.

On a side note, I figured after the t.v series of Kujibiki Unbalance ended, Genshiken two would be licensed and brought to dvd within the next year or so. I read the manga of Genshiken from start to finish, so I bet the second season will be just as great as the ova's and first season.
orochimaruSanin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
The anime series for this manga has really got me confused. These people came up with a 3 part OVA which had a non-conclusive end.

The 12 episode anime series also ended up with Rit-chan going to some foreign country and Enomoto Chihiro not confessing his love to any of the girls. Is it just this or am I missing something?

Does the manga offer anything different from what was presented in the anime?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
If the female cast in that other manga are adults and if the series isn't too violent, I might check it out.

Violent?! In the spoiler[Genshiken cameo at the end of Kujibiki Unbalance manga, Madarame is an owner of Koume's dōjinshi and he praises the latter's artwork.] Go figure which type of "artwork" he likes. Twisted Evil

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I read the manga of Genshiken from start to finish, so I bet the second season will be just as great as the ova's and first season.

The second season is better than the first and OVA combined then times three (with horn and painted red). As a big fan of Ayako Kawasumi, you don't know how many years we've waited for that moment, especially it was together with Tomokazu Seki, who often co-star with Kawasumi as screen couples in various titles, including Genshiken.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
orochimaruSanin wrote:
The 12 episode anime series also ended up with Rit-chan going to some foreign country and Enomoto Chihiro not confessing his love to any of the girls. Is it just this or am I missing something?

In the manga, the triangle remains unresolved but all three characters remain together at the school, hinting it'll go on on a more uplifting note.

Maybe that doesn't make much difference? Sorry
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, I enjoyed the first volume. Kinda meta to be reading what the Genshiken characters were reading.

If you say it's total cliche, isn't that sort of the point?

Well, I've got far worse in my collection.
orochimaruSanin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
orochimaruSanin wrote:

In the manga, the triangle remains unresolved but all three characters remain together at the school, hinting it'll go on on a more uplifting note.

Maybe that doesn't make much difference? Sorry

Thanks for the clarification, and yes, it does make a difference. :-)

Anyways, I was kind of hoping the manga would have something different or a more sensible ending since the anime ended on a incomplete note. No matter how much I wish for, hoping for the continuation or a sequel seems to be pointless. Or is it that the ending of manga hints at a possibility of a continuation?

-san
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
orochimaruSanin wrote:
Anyways, I was kind of hoping the manga would have something different or a more sensible ending since the anime ended on a incomplete note. No matter how much I wish for, hoping for the continuation or a sequel seems to be pointless. Or is it that the ending of manga hints at a possibility of a continuation?

-san

Both Kio and the artist expressed interest in a continuation, but I don't think it'll happen. But if you ask me, even though it would be great if there was a resolution to the triangle, it's fine enough as-is for a series like this.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

So apparently you haven't checked out the other two manga by Keito Koume. Wink It's the art style that is sought after.

Owner of the other two.

I gotta admit, he's one of my favorite mainstream/nichestream artists of all time.

And for those of you not knowing what I mean by niche, draw whatever conclusion you want, just know it isn't meant as an elitist term.

Unfortunately, I felt that the anime could've done just a 'bit' more to replicate his art style a little better... Hell, another animation based on something he drew was ten times better in the quality and it's just... confusing.

And on top of that, the work he does for Liarsoft (Or is is Liasoft? I'm not sure...) is just as high quality as everything else he does. It's akin to Tony Taka in a way, neither slack off with whatever they're working on.

I'm going to stop talking before I pique anyone's curiosity and/or confuse people even more.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I have to say, this review is surprising. I just wrote my own review of Kuji-Un up for Manga Jouhou (I'd link it, but it's still in the editing process e_e), and I really, really liked it. I didn't expect to, but I came away really surprised.

Perhaps it's because I went in with low expectations, but I found it to be really enjoyable and lighthearted. Never mind that, as I too mentioned, Koume's art is outstanding. I wouldn't pass this one up in the least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1