Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV + Toonami, w/ index)


Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dragoneyes001



Joined: 07 Feb 2009
Posts: 873

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
You are being a bit rediculous, for one we have been told next to nothing about what is happening on the outside. Actually the only things we have been told was in episode 1 when the creator talked to them. This isn't just something we the audience are being left out of, it is all the characters, and any mention on the outside is purely speculation. I wonder why fiction would want to limit information to what the characters know, it is like it wants us to know what it feels like in their shoes?

I am reminded of a certain battle field where a character mentioned that the important things is to accept the current situation. And I think there is an addition somewhere else about everything else is assumptions.


and its 1-2-3 what are we fighting for? I don't give a damn! next stop is Viet Nam and its 5-6-7 open up the pearly gates ain't no time to wounder why woopy! we're all going to die!.........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DuskyPredator
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 8181
Location: Brisbane, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
and its 1-2-3 what are we fighting for? I don't give a damn! next stop is Viet Nam and its 5-6-7 open up the pearly gates ain't no time to wounder why woopy! we're all going to die!.........
? Am I missing something?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin
Get off my lawn!Get off my lawn!


Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Posts: 2254
Location: Bellevue, WA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator,

Not really. It's the refrain from an old (but very good) anti-war song from the early 1970s (or maybe late 60s).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime
HaruhiToy



Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 2825

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
Has anyone considered the fact that subjective time and objective time are different? Maybe only a week or so has passed in the real world. It only feels like two years inside the game.

Happens to me at work all the time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 15128
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Has anyone considered the fact that subjective time and objective time are different? Maybe only a week or so has passed in the real world. It only feels like two years inside the game.

Happens to me at work all the time.


Oh great. Now we are going to get a foam-flecked post from dtm42 angrily and condescendingly pointing out that the rules governing passage of game time/real time are set out by what we learned in Accel World since both Accel World and SAO share the same original author and are - apparently - set in the same Universe, accord to God of All Knowledge. THEREFORE IT IS UTTERLY IMPOSSIBLE - UTTERLY - THAT A MERE WEEK OR TWO COULD HAVE PASSED IN SAO'S REAL WORLD!!!

MY GOD, IS DTM42 THE ONLY PERSON WATCHING BOTH SHOWS AND KEEPING CAREFUL NOTES???

Oh and lest anyone thinks I'm exaggerating - dtm42 actually made that argument in a different thread when someone broached the possibility of game time and real time being different in SAO. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
getchman
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 6738
Location: Cheshire, CT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
i think episode 1 made it clear that game time and real time are the same. Klien never got his pizza, poor guy. i hope gets to eat one when he gets out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
DuskyPredator
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 8181
Location: Brisbane, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Al it would it would take is a gradual change of the speed of day changing, and all of their body clocks could be altered into compliance, they could days out of the time they think they are in there for. Such a situation would be perfect for testing how human brain reacts to subtle enviroment changes, and I was think this before, killer reality tv. Chances are Big Brother Online will end up a real thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe



Joined: 17 Dec 2010
Posts: 1448
Location: Two Steps from Hell.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Chances are Big Brother Online will end up a real thing.


Change that to Onii-chan Online and we'll have a successful anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 12001
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42, I think what people are most complaining about concerning your argument is your seeming intent to claim that something's a plot hole if not immediately explained in full. (And if you're not trying to imply that then you're sure coming across that way.) If we get to the end of this story arc and the concerns you've brought up still aren't explained, then I'd have no problem with you calling those concerns "plot holes."

And really, there's a very simple explanation for why the authorities did reconnect the players instead of just leaving them in the coma: because the victims would die if they weren't reconnected within a certain time frame. Episode 1 established that disconnecting players = death, so even though it's not explicitly stated anywhere in the anime, one could reasonably assume that a temporary interruption was allowed only while players were being transferred to medical facilities.

Now, I'll certainly granted you that the whole scene where that was described could have been better-written and is probably fudging on details, but I do think jsc315 is correct about how the minutae of the process isn't as important as the broader events. If that wasn't the case then most mecha series (for instance) would make way less sense than they already do.

And HaruhiToy: Yeah, we've had a long discussion about that before, I think in one of The Stream discussion threads. (Or was it my review of eps 1-7? I forget which.) Let's not get into that again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Riddley



Joined: 14 May 2011
Posts: 534
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dtm42, I think what people are most complaining about concerning your argument is your seeming intent to claim that something's a plot hole if not immediately explained in full. (And if you're not trying to imply that then you're sure coming across that way.) If we get to the end of this story arc and the concerns you've brought up still aren't explained, then I'd have no problem with you calling those concerns "plot holes."

And really, there's a very simple explanation for why the authorities did reconnect the players instead of just leaving them in the coma: because the victims would die if they weren't reconnected within a certain time frame. Episode 1 established that disconnecting players = death, so even though it's not explicitly stated anywhere in the anime, one could reasonably assume that a temporary interruption was allowed only while players were being transferred to medical facilities.

Now, I'll certainly granted you that the whole scene where that was described could have been better-written and is probably fudging on details, but I do think jsc315 is correct about how the minutae of the process isn't as important as the broader events. If that wasn't the case then most mecha series (for instance) would make way less sense than they already do.



This.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Past



Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Posts: 3138
Location: The Vivre Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
The answers provided by Tour of Gondolin and others regarding my question was satisfying to me. I had assumed that if someone attempted to log a player off by simply shutting their computer down that would cause the Nervegear to kill them. The fact that is not the case makes way more sense, since I think it would be incredibly unfair and unjust even for the game creator to allow people to die because of things outside their control like a power outage, or their computer locking up. That's all I wanted clarified, I'm willing to overlook fine details like that that aren't explicitly explained in the anime. Furthermore I'm guessing this is something that the light novels probably went into more detail about, and to bring it up in the anime as well would just disrupt the flow and the actual story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 13002
Location: NZL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Furthermore I'm guessing this is something that the light novels probably went into more detail about, and to bring it up in the anime as well would just disrupt the flow and the actual story.


Funny you should say that, because the fisherman would have been as good a guy as any (and better than most) in detailing and explaining the possible locks that Kayaba had placed on the system. He could have talked about existing anti-tampering protocols in the nerve gears and then gone on to theorise how Kayaba may have changed them.

I really didn't like how the battle was crammed into this episode, more time should have been given for the fisherman. I mean, a character with actual knowledge of the game's system security, and the writing doesn't do anything with him in the very episode in which system security was brought up. What a massive wasted opportunity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
ZorgonXtreme



Joined: 23 Feb 2004
Posts: 251
Location: Anchorage, AK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
So, somebody who's also read the novels please help me on somethings.

In the novels, didn't the big fish monster spoiler[drop a rare fishing pole that Asuna gave to the fisherman?]

Also, the music is amazing. I feel like it's been a long while since Yuki Kajiura did something that showed up on my radar (Madoka was the last one and I can't remember when that was made).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 13002
Location: NZL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
In the novels, didn't the big fish monster spoiler[drop a rare fishing pole that Asuna gave to the fisherman?]


The Anime might have thought it wasn't important. It does seem weird that such a big fish didn't drop anything though. Maybe it only drops stuff if caught using a rod rather than slayed in combat?

ZorgonXtreme wrote:
Also, the music is amazing. I feel like it's been a long while since Yuki Kajiura did something that showed up on my radar (Madoka was the last one and I can't remember when that was made).


PMMM was broadcast in the first four months of 2011.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
CTB



Joined: 16 Apr 2008
Posts: 36

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
So, somebody who's also read the novels please help me on somethings.

In the novels, didn't the big fish monster spoiler[drop a rare fishing pole that Asuna gave to the fisherman?]

Also, the music is amazing. I feel like it's been a long while since Yuki Kajiura did something that showed up on my radar (Madoka was the last one and I can't remember when that was made).


In the novel spoiler[the big fish monster did drop a silver fishing rod which Asuna did give it to Nishida the old fishman]

Also to settle the current big argument spoiler[ in the novel Kayaba Akihiko did tell all the trapped players the following when he appear as a massive GM in the beginners city:Players, there is no need to worry about the bodies you left on the other side. As of this moment, all TV, radio, and Internet media are repeatedly reporting this situation; including the fact that there have been numerous deaths. The danger of having your Nerve Gear taken off has already all but disappeared. In a moment, using the two hours I have provided, all of you will be transported to hospitals or similar institutes and be given the best treatment. So you can relax... and concentrate on beating the game.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 70 of 272

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group