• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Licensing Show Viz News

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Darn, I was hoping for photos of the giant statues.

Also, no name changes is good; does anyone know if there were music changes? Shopro did change the music in Gash/Zatch Bell, after all, and Naruto's soundtrack is way more distinctly Japanese.
sokpupet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
where're the pirates with hidden video cameras when you need them!?!?
Onikuno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. Remember the same show last year 4kids had a dubbed "WE ARE" Opening for One Piece and everyone felt it would be ok. And we were wrong.

All this is is just a teaser and not the finished product. I'm not saying Viz will make changes but it's something to keep in mind.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
This could also be indication of the DVD version and not the TV version, but it's all speculation until we get official word from Viz or the show starts.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeloot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Onikuno wrote:
I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. Remember the same show last year 4kids had a dubbed "WE ARE" Opening for One Piece and everyone felt it would be ok. And we were wrong.

All this is is just a teaser and not the finished product. I'm not saying Viz will make changes but it's something to keep in mind.

I think it goes without saying Viz makes less changes than 4Kids.
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Also, no name changes is good; does anyone know if there were music changes? Shopro did change the music in Gash/Zatch Bell, after all, and Naruto's soundtrack is way more distinctly Japanese.

A certain Naruto fansite (which I won't list because it has fansubs) has an interview with the dubbers of Naruto from the August issue of Shounen Jump (not yet available).

Apparently, the first 52 episode scripts are done, everyone's been cast (no specific names), and the show will retain most of the original music because "that helps makes the series great".
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
It's the "most" part that makes me worried. The way they worded it gives me the impression that they'll be giving it an Escaflowne job where they take a few tracks from the original and just splice it all together as they please. I mean, why would they NEED music production? But we'll see.

Also, was anyone actually expecting them to change the names at this point?
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
If Viz does a show itself instead of giving out to other companies like 4Kids, you can be fairly sure that they will remain true to the original version, due to their track record of not really changing anything. (Having a good dub beyond being accurate, though, is another story.) I mean, if you want to see the work they do, look at Inuyasha. Other than having annoying dub voices and a few translations that some fansubbers disagree with (Wind Scar vs. Wound of the Wind or Kilala vs. Kirara), it's a fine adaption.

I just don't see why everyone is freaking out about Viz getting the series like it's going to be butchered by 4Kids or something. Viz is not the company I was hoping would get it (I'd rather have one of the dubbing studios from Funimation or ADV dub it), but it's not going to be butchered.

And as for the "most" music comment? That's probably in there just because it likely will not be airing with the original opening credits, as is normal for something airing on Toonami. I think it's safe to say that, except for 4Kids, we have evolved beyond the days of Escaflowne-type changes.
Koe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling that VIZ will keep the original names in the anime, since they have so far in the manga (despite a few spelling changes, but even those were changed back). The attack names have also aparently reverted to a direct romanization of the Japanese names recently in Shounen Jump (USA), I believe (I read something about it online about a month ago, but I do not subscribe to SJ, so I cannot confirm this...).

As for music, VIZ usually keeps the original music for series (such as Inu-Yasha), so I highly doubt they would change it. If they plan on keeping the whole ninja theme you would expect more Japanese-influence music than... dub-music, I suppose.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
If Viz does a show itself instead of giving out to other companies like 4Kids, you can be fairly sure that they will remain true to the original version, due to their track record of not really changing anything. (Having a good dub beyond being accurate, though, is another story.) I mean, if you want to see the work they do, look at Inuyasha. Other than having annoying dub voices and a few translations that some fansubbers disagree with (Wind Scar vs. Wound of the Wind or Kilala vs. Kirara), it's a fine adaption.

I just don't see why everyone is freaking out about Viz getting the series like it's going to be butchered by 4Kids or something. Viz is not the company I was hoping would get it (I'd rather have one of the dubbing studios from Funimation or ADV dub it), but it's not going to be butchered.

And as for the "most" music comment? That's probably in there just because it likely will not be airing with the original opening credits, as is normal for something airing on Toonami. I think it's safe to say that, except for 4Kids, we have evolved beyond the days of Escaflowne-type changes.

Remember that Viz Media handles Zatch Bell, which has had a large portion, if not all, of its music recomposed.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Koe wrote:
I have a feeling that VIZ will keep the original names in the anime, since they have so far in the manga (despite a few spelling changes, but even those were changed back). The attack names have also aparently reverted to a direct romanization of the Japanese names recently in Shounen Jump (USA), I believe (I read something about it online about a month ago, but I do not subscribe to SJ, so I cannot confirm this...).

The only spelling change I remember off the top of my head was Gai-sensei being called Master Guy for a chapter or two (which I found hilarious, especially since I hadn't seen that far in the anime at the time), but they changed it back to Master Gai very shortly.

And yes, I can confirm that the attack names appearing in the manga recently are the Japanese names, followed by a translation of the attack into an easy remember American phrase (that will likely be used in the dub and not the subs) for those of us who can't remember the Japanese ones well enough (like me... Anime smile + sweatdrop). It is a little strange, though, that the characters would not only shout the name of an attack, which is inpractical in real life, but shout the name of an attack twice in two different languages. But hey, I'm not complaining. Wink
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Probably no less strange than announcing the fighting style of the attack you announce. *coughKenshincough*
naeblis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes though, no one is actually SCREAMING the name of the attack, they're just thinknig it in their heads. So it makes it weirder that when they do just think the name of the attack, they think it in two different laguages. Oh well, guess ninjas need to know more than one language too. Laughing
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

A certain Naruto fansite (which I won't list because it has fansubs) has an interview with the dubbers of Naruto from the August issue of Shounen Jump (not yet available).

Apparently, the first 52 episode scripts are done, everyone's been cast (no specific names), and the show will retain most of the original music because "that helps makes the series great".

LOL..i thought they..the folks from the website who has the fansubs did an interview with the dubbers. I was like WTF? I was told that from some other sources before actually looking at it. At a glance it totally looks like they did the interview. Am i alone on this?

I hope the 30 foot tall Naruto statue makes its way to AX!
spider-moose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
has long has the dvds are uncut with the original japanese track in it, I will be happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2