• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Megazone 23 Trilogy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Renaissance: Actually, I thought Megazone had their only good commentary, since it didn't just summarize the show like every other commentary they've done.

AWO: The only trailer I was aware of was this one.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Buried Treasure wrote:
Part 1 was infamously reworked (barely) into the unwatchable and incoherent Robotech: The Untold Story, the famously never-released Robotech movie. (Grainy 16mm footage from Mospeda was added in at distributor Carolco's request, as they complained there were too many girls and not enough mecha.
A few corrections here; "Robotech the movie" did have a limited release in Texas for about a month in from July 1986. It was also released on video in a number of countries. In English it made it to the UK where it was released on VHS by Rank Home Video in 1988. It also got an English language release with Dutch subtitles from Vestron Video on VHS in Belgium and on PAL Laserdisc from Cascar Video in the Netherlands.

Also it was the infamous Cannon Films who produced the film, asking Macek to add Southern Cross footage (not Mospeda).
Buried Treasure wrote:
There are no less than three dubs of Megazone Part 1, and two of Part 2.
There's also two dubs of Part 3, one by Manga Video in the UK (directed by Michael Bakewell) and the ADV one.
Buried Treasure wrote:
Japanese producer Idol Co., Ltd. asked Harmony Gold to make an English version of Part 2 (which they subtitled back into Japanese for laserdisc release as "The International Version").
It was also released on DVD by Atlus in 2005 as a pre-order special when you ordered all three discs of their release of Megazone 23. I believe it also comes with a special edition version of the recent Megazone Playstation game.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
I love both the first and second OVAs, although I'm more of a part one guy. I should probably set aside the time to go more in-depth about it at some point, but for now, I would encourage everyone reading this who hasn't seen the Megazone 23 OVAs to just go out and get it. It's so easy and cheap to get these days that if it even mildly sounds of interest, you should go for it.
Anime World Order wrote:
Did that PS3 game for Megazone 23 come out after all?

It did, it's just that nobody really talks about it. The last I remember hearing of it was a Famitsu (or some such magazine) review where it's apparently said that the story is interesting, but the gameplay isn't, and eyebrows are raised over why the game is on the PS3 in the first place (if you ever see screenshots of this, you'll see why - it's not the kind of game that needed so much horsepower).

As I recall, the plot was basically a continuation from Part 1 that ignores Part 2 and takes place in "2004" (or sometime around then), the Megazone having gone on for years with business as usual. Shogo never resurfaced. The player takes the role of the son of Yui and Shogo, apparently conceived during Part 1's delightful little sex scene, and pilots a Garland that looks just like the original, but is painted blue. Thus the title, Megazone 23: Blue Garland.

I don't know if anyone else tried to go more in-depth since then, I kind of forgot about the thing.

Boy you weren't kidding. I just saw a vid for the game. It's amazing how they took an ancient piece of work and turned into a sparkly new game. Of course, it seems more text-driven than anything despite the giant robot battle scenes, so I was tempted to call it a dating sim for a moment there.

As for the anime itself, yet another from the raging 80s I did not see. I've only heard the name once or twice. Seems like it would have made me think a lot about things at the time. Especially compared to the present day.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
One bizarre thing which I couldn't help noticing about part two was that the makers seem to like showing people's eyeballs bursting out of their heads as they are splattered!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I've just done a quick check, and it appears the UK VHS release only received a 12 rating from the BBFC. I was lead to believe it was slightly more violent than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greboruri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I've just done a quick check, and it appears the UK VHS release only received a 12 rating from the BBFC. I was lead to believe it was slightly more violent than that.
The UK release actually Part 3, not Part 1. Bizarrely it also contains a 10 minute prologue created by Manga Video using footage from Part 3 which contains the back story of Megazone 23, some of it seemingly straight out of the mind of the dub script writer.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
The UK release actually Part 3, not Part 1. Bizarrely it also contains a 10 minute prologue created by Manga Video using footage from Part 3 which contains the back story of Megazone 23, some of it seemingly straight out of the mind of the dub script writer.

That's a bit naughty of Manga. It's not labelled as part of a trilogy on the boxart I found (which, contrary to the BBFC's official ruling, has a 15 rating on it).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Megazone 23, you were the mecha-filled Cassandra of '80s OVAs. All of those other anime thought Japan's economic bubble would never burst, but YOU knew it was a lie just waiting to tumble down, didn't you, Megazone 23?

Anyway, talk of Megazone 23 and Streets of Fire makes me want to dig up an old Streamline VHS of Zillion: Burning Night, the closest anime ever came to bluntly remaking Streets. If only Sega had turned it into a game.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
todd: Personally, I thought Japan's bubble had a little more substance than our bubbles. I mean, at least that country didn't slash social safety nets and make it harder for people to declare bankruptcy. We were just askin' for a disaster with those policies! I just hope the fact that they went down with us this time doesn't give the nationalists an excuse to start another war...
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the 80's were a Golden Age of anime and Megazone 23 is a standard bearer for the age, I enjoyed parts 1 & 2 very much (3, not so much) cutting edge animation, an interesting story and pull no punches action sequences, Part 2 visually gets a little tough because it takes you time to associate who the characters from Part One are in this version but it's still very impressive, It's a collection that should be in every anime fan's library
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
is there anywhere online one can view the ADV-produced trailers for Megazone 23? Word has it that they did them in this intentionally kitschy 80s style, but none of my ADV discs seem to include those.

Part 1: animenewsnetwork.com/video/149/
Part 2: animenewsnetwork.com/video/150/

Never seen a trailer for Part 3, tho.
videomaster21XX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
I remember Megazone 23. I came across this series one night while checking out what anime network had on demand.

There I came across part 1 and decided to give it a go. Boy am I glad I did, I rather liked the plot build ups, and I've always been a fan of the 80s anime animation.

Watched it, loved it, got to the end and wondered just what was about to happen next in part 2. But I'd have to wait for it to appear on demand for that.

Then it finally came out, and I eagerly sat down and watched it.

WHAT
A
LOAD
OF
CRAP

First off, I know it's personal opinion, but I HATE that animation style. Second, you just axe off certain side character plot points? Ok it's been a couple of years so I don't remember all the details, but I recall the one female friend (think she had orange hair) and everything that was happening with her. I think at the end of the first one her father had called her to leave the city with him.

Then you get to the second one and just nothing. That plot point was left forever hanging. I HATE things like that.

Then to make matters worse, the writer of this segment seems to get a hard on for 'alien apendages' tearing people up and having blood splatter everywhere.

No, No, No, No, No. Don't go injecting unessicary gore into a show. Big turn off for me.

The plot barley saved this one from being absolute garbage, and even then I can't stand the second Megazone 23. I was so happy that part 3 went back to a simular art style as part 1, that I didn't mind the sillyness of the plot.

Course I tend to enjoy silly plots, so I really liked part 3, though part 1 will always be my favorite, and part 2 is what I advise all my friends to avoid like a plauge.

So unfortantly it makes me rather sad that it's part 2 getting praise here in Buried Treasure.

Now please understand. I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't like part 2. Or that this article is wrong. I did enjoy some of the plot points that were meantioned in the article.

But an ugly choice of art, followed but POINTLESS gore have made me file Part 2 in my "Garbage" folder.

Makes me wish the PS3 game was in english. Seems just the kind of thing I'd enjoy, especally as it ignores part 2.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
There's a rather well-known anime fan who loves Megazone so much that he legally changed his name to it. Cool
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
If one looks deeply enough one will find the todays economic disaster is the direct child consumated by the "greed is good" mantra of the 80s and the "Okay that didn't work, but lets try this instead, because we love gambling with other peoples money, and nobody cares as long as we keep winning." of the 90s. Yes we will survive, but sadly we won't learn the lessons, and so we will be here again. Well you will be. I'll be long gone by then. Wink

Ah, the early days at AIC when they had more ambition, than money. Now they have preciously little of both. I remember reading a speculation that it was originally produced as a TV series but ran out of money and and crashed in mid flight. They then cobbed together the first OVA out of what they could salvage from the wreakage.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:25 am Reply with quote
Mohawk:
Quote:
If one looks deeply enough one will find the todays economic disaster is the direct child consumated by the "greed is good" mantra of the 80s and the "Okay that didn't work, but lets try this instead, because we love gambling with other peoples money, and nobody cares as long as we keep winning." of the 90s.

Actually, the 90s was more like, "Why do we need to manufacture anything, when the real money is in websites?" The 2000s just changed it from the Internet to housing. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3