• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Megazone 23 Trilogy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote
More about Megazone and the history around it: http://www.akibanana.com/?q=node/124

Actually now that I come to think of it, I helped re-write and edit this article and never got credited for it.

Oh well.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mohawk:
Quote:
If one looks deeply enough one will find the todays economic disaster is the direct child consumated by the "greed is good" mantra of the 80s and the "Okay that didn't work, but lets try this instead, because we love gambling with other peoples money, and nobody cares as long as we keep winning." of the 90s.

Actually, the 90s was more like, "Why do we need to manufacture anything, when the real money is in websites?" The 2000s just changed it from the Internet to housing. Rolling Eyes
The internet bubble burst back in '03, the housing bubble burst last year. But both were fueled by cheap loans given to anyone who asked for one, whether they could pay it back, or not. The problem was, and still is, most can not. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the Internet bubble was fueled by gullible rich people who were convinced that there was money to be made in over-paying geeks to build half-assed websites. The housing bubble was fueled by poor people who were convinced that money was to be made in housing with over-inflated property values.
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Weird... I'm at this moment writing an article about the con where I discovered anime and Mz23 Pt 2 was my first exposure to the series. A friend I met there explained to me the whole Megazone / Robotech connection and the like at that con. I still love Pts. 1 and 2 and understand that some times when one production crew takes over from another, certain changes can result. As its a god memory, I still prefer the first international dub for Pt. 2 over the ADV one. I miss the 80's OAV market though when companies who didn't have enough funds for a full TV series or theatrical standard budget could throw out ideas straight to video, some with better results than others though I grant you. But yeah, high detail, mechs, general fun atmosphere but with serious storytelling, and Eve's music... Megazone 23 will forever be an anime gem to me.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Megazone 23 is truly an anime classic.

I own the first English dubbed version of Megazone 23 part 2 copied(recorded off the laser disc) on a vhs tape. And I own the original vhs tape of Streamline pictures release of part 1 english dubbed.

And I also have All 3 parts complete on dvd in my dvd collection.

Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
Descent123 wrote:
I didn't like the art changes from OVA 1 to OVA 2, but I found the second OVA to be my favorite. I like how the main character is not a fan of adults and I found the action to be better in the second OVA than the first.

I might have to import the Megazone OVA 2 English LD for the dub. Laughing

Should be worth the trouble. I find that dub a lot more tolerable than ADV's.

Zipper wrote:
I love me some Megazone 23. OVA 2 was my favorite. OVA 3 was very odd, but at the end of the day I liked it as well, though it was my least favorite part. This would have worked well as a TV series. Shame that never happened. I remember a couple years ago there was talk of a TV series being produced (I would have preferred it be done in the 80s but would have taken an 00s series) but it never came into fruition.

I still can't get over the third installment without gritting my teeth in disgust. I prefer the first two with honor, and act like the third never existed. Cool

JELEINEN wrote:
Personally, I think EVE saved the wrong guy. BD was the better man and had the right idea. Shogo was just a selfish prick spoiler[(the fact that he turns out to be the villain of part 3 is the only thing I liked about that one)]. In my mind BD managed to get away with whatever survivors he could in the end.

Interesting to see your thoughts on Shogo. I was more for him than B.D. personally.

Quote:
My friends and I had a joke that once Shogo and the Trash gang landed on Earth, the human race only last three more days because they killed each other while going through nicotine withdrawal.

Heh, didn't think about that (course, starting over from Square One could make anyone mad that things don't progress that fast enough)!

AkiraKaneda wrote:
Megazone 23 Part 2 still remains the worst totally watchable anime film in my collection. There are plenty of films with better plots that are a nightmare to sit through. There is no plot to the first hour of this movie, really, just smoking and drinking and a modicum of sex. But it is visually arresting enough to make it worth the time; there really hasn't ever been anything else that looked quite like this.

Whoa, take it easy, tiger!

Renaisance Otaku wrote:
I enjoyed all three parts quite a bit, though three was the worse.

Noticed how the third was sold as two separate LD's in Japan, I think I would've destroyed the first disc after seeing it and not cared to get the second!

Quote:
I think I liked one the best. Particularly the artstyle. Not that the new style didn't work in two. It did so quite well. Though it was so different that it was hard to connect the original characters a bit. Particularly when Yui cuts her hair. Since it wasn't even the same color, let alobe style, it sort of lacked some of the impact.

I felt that way too. The more realistic approach in the second throws me off for a second as I have to get adjusted to those designs so they wouldn't bother me for long. It was an interesting approach for it's time.

Quote:
Still, a great series. Though the commentary ADV included for one was dreadful. Right down to the rampant mispronunciation of Mospeada. It had some interesting points, but one can't really care much when they go so far as to make fun of a character's death scene if memory serves.

I still love the commentary myself, and wished the other two had them too.

Anime World Order wrote:
If you're interested in learning more about Megazone 23, specifically Part One, I recommend you listen to an interview we conducted with its director, Noboru Ishiguro. We certainly didn't get to ask him even a fraction of the questions we had for him, but much of it pertained to Megazone 23 Part One on account that it was among the first anime OAVs to be created. I remain hopeful that the proposed Megazone 23 television series will still end up getting made after all these years. Did that PS3 game for Megazone 23 come out after all?

They better step on it if they want to get something out for the first OVA's silver annivesary. Laughing

Captain Crotchspike wrote:
It did, it's just that nobody really talks about it. The last I remember hearing of it was a Famitsu (or some such magazine) review where it's apparently said that the story is interesting, but the gameplay isn't, and eyebrows are raised over why the game is on the PS3 in the first place (if you ever see screenshots of this, you'll see why - it's not the kind of game that needed so much horsepower).

As I recall, the plot was basically a continuation from Part 1 that ignores Part 2 and takes place in "2004" (or sometime around then), the Megazone having gone on for years with business as usual. Shogo never resurfaced. The player takes the role of the son of Yui and Shogo, apparently conceived during Part 1's delightful little sex scene, and pilots a Garland that looks just like the original, but is painted blue. Thus the title, Megazone 23: Blue Garland.

Sounds like an idea for a self-insertion fanfic I'd be writing! Laughing

Greboruri wrote:
Buried Treasure wrote:
Part 1 was infamously reworked (barely) into the unwatchable and incoherent Robotech: The Untold Story, the famously never-released Robotech movie. (Grainy 16mm footage from Mospeda was added in at distributor Carolco's request, as they complained there were too many girls and not enough mecha.
A few corrections here; "Robotech the movie" did have a limited release in Texas for about a month in from July 1986. It was also released on video in a number of countries. In English it made it to the UK where it was released on VHS by Rank Home Video in 1988. It also got an English language release with Dutch subtitles from Vestron Video on VHS in Belgium and on PAL Laserdisc from Cascar Video in the Netherlands.

Funny the number of places that weren't spared from this!

Quote:
Also it was the infamous Cannon Films who produced the film, asking Macek to add Southern Cross footage (not Mospeda).

Because it's not a Cannon Film unless they say so! Laughing

Quote:
[There's also two dubs of Part 3, one by Manga Video in the UK (directed by Michael Bakewell) and the ADV one.
Damn! Would be interesting to see what the UK edition sounded like (though I probably wouldn't care either way).

Quote:
[quote="Buried Treasure"]Japanese producer Idol Co., Ltd. asked Harmony Gold to make an English version of Part 2 (which they subtitled back into Japanese for laserdisc release as "The International Version").
It was also released on DVD by Atlus in 2005 as a pre-order special when you ordered all three discs of their release of Megazone 23. I believe it also comes with a special edition version of the recent Megazone Playstation game.

Damn, need to look for that! Cool

Stretch2424 wrote:
One bizarre thing which I couldn't help noticing about part two was that the makers seem to like showing people's eyeballs bursting out of their heads as they are splattered!

Strangely I love that animation!

Vicserr wrote:
Yeah, the 80's were a Golden Age of anime and Megazone 23 is a standard bearer for the age, I enjoyed parts 1 & 2 very much (3, not so much) cutting edge animation, an interesting story and pull no punches action sequences, Part 2 visually gets a little tough because it takes you time to associate who the characters from Part One are in this version but it's still very impressive, It's a collection that should be in every anime fan's library

I often like to characterize Part One as one of observation and discovery, in this case, a guy finds out the truth behind his own existence and the 'world' he's in. Part Two is more rebellion, revenge and acceptance. These were interesting themes to glean from these two OVA's.

videomaster21XX wrote:

WHAT
A
LOAD
OF
CRAP

Given your opinion, I advise you never to watch PART THREE then, you'll thank me for it!

lord_darkseid wrote:
Weird... I'm at this moment writing an article about the con where I discovered anime and Mz23 Pt 2 was my first exposure to the series. A friend I met there explained to me the whole Megazone / Robotech connection and the like at that con. I still love Pts. 1 and 2 and understand that some times when one production crew takes over from another, certain changes can result. As its a god memory, I still prefer the first international dub for Pt. 2 over the ADV one. I miss the 80's OAV market though when companies who didn't have enough funds for a full TV series or theatrical standard budget could throw out ideas straight to video, some with better results than others though I grant you. But yeah, high detail, mechs, general fun atmosphere but with serious storytelling, and Eve's music... Megazone 23 will forever be an anime gem to me.

It's great to see someone who misses the 80's OVA's as I do!

The Unknown 24 wrote:
Megazone 23 is truly an anime classic.

I own the first English dubbed version of Megazone 23 part 2 copied(recorded off the laser disc) on a vhs tape. And I own the original vhs tape of Streamline pictures release of part 1 english dubbed.

I felt Kerrigan Mahan and Barbara Goodson did a fine job on playing Shogo and Yui in both dubs.

I own original Japanese Victor VHS copies of both first and second OVA's in my collection personally, and it was cool to find them pop up on eBay one day!
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Renaissance: Actually, I thought Megazone had their only good commentary, since it didn't just summarize the show like every other commentary they've done.

True, and I did acknowledge that it had some good bits in it. So I'll agree that it was better than most (though I've not really listened to most US made commentaries for precisely that reason). I just didn't like some of views they had.

It did have more info than Bandai's Gundam F91 commentary, which even had an actual Japanese producer on it, but was mostly shout outs to the dub cast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
videomaster21XX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Given your opinion, I advise you never to watch PART THREE then, you'll thank me for it!

Actually I mentioned in my post that I did watch Part 3. I know my er... 'Opinion' of Part 2 is rather rabid, but really It just got to me in the worst way. I really liked part 1, and just can't get over the change in animation and storyline.

Mainly I just have a lot of distaste for the random gore. It's a pet peeve of mine to add gore to a movie when it would work just as well without it.

Anyway, on the talk of Part 3: Ok it was silly. I'm not about to defend it. But I think I was just so happy that it wasn't like part 2 that I just couldn't care.

I still wish I could play that game though. :/ Sounds really neat.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
videomaster21XX wrote:
Quote:

Actually I mentioned in my post that I did watch Part 3. I know my er... 'Opinion' of Part 2 is rather rabid, but really It just got to me in the worst way. I really liked part 1, and just can't get over the change in animation and storyline.

I have to remind myself that everyone's entitled to their own opinions here, and i can understand your frustrations with the design change, why did they have to do it in the first place is beyond me (besides Hirano not being around to work on the second, they could've still used his designs none the less).

Quote:
Mainly I just have a lot of distaste for the random gore. It's a pet peeve of mine to add gore to a movie when it would work just as well without it.

I usually don't have a problem with gore as long as i feel it doesn't weigh down the production or there isn't an outcome to it all I could deal with.

Quote:
Anyway, on the talk of Part 3: Ok it was silly. I'm not about to defend it. But I think I was just so happy that it wasn't like part 2 that I just couldn't care.

It was a change of pace. I felt there was still a lot that could've been done in it that just didn't get done, no doubt the animation alone didn't leave anything to the imagination (I feel they had to split it apart due to the problems caused in the first section).

Quote:
I still wish I could play that game though. :/ Sounds really neat.

Funny we don't have anything like that yet.
centzontotochtin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Having discovered all 3 of these by accident in a bored weekend a few months ago, I think they all work in different ways (like many 'classics' they're not available in the UK, so it'll be a sad day when the internet is monitored enough to stop people like me using our weekends in this way.)

I can see how the unnecessary but meticulous mechanical-tentacle-eyeball-guts violence in the 2nd film would annoy people, but to me it just went with the gasping at impressive detail. Seriously, if anyone knows of anything else hand-painted in the 80s without CG that is this detailed, please post in this thread; even Akira, which as far as I know was later? looked less impressive at times. Plus they raised the bar from Votoms and what I've seen of Fist of the North Star for silly-but-cool looking biker gangs, which takes some effort. Did the authorities in 80s Japan have a real problem with biker punks destroying society, or what?

The first film had better songs than Macross, a more realistic worldview, and far more attractive and less annoying but otherwise identical green-haired dancer characters.
Even from a straight female viewer perspective, the girl from the first film should not have had her character design changed for the 2nd; but meh, they re-used it for the virtual idol character, and also included girls who actually had their own bikes instead of sitting on the back of them, and had a token fat-bird who was cool instead of comedy, so who cares...
The only problem with part 2 was the ending spoiler[where all his mates who had previouly been blown to bits by mecha machine gun (one of the more moving scenes of 80s suicidal biker-punk silliness, which ended with the only survivor bleeding on the floor giving the perfectly-manicured finger to the police) turned out to be alive..] I almost felt like I was watching an alternate happy-ending that had been tacked on later., especially as the first film ended more harshly with spoiler[the main character limping home after having his ass kicked, and most of his friends either dead or gone-home-to-hide-with-parents...]

And the third film works really well as a retro-ghost-in-the-shell, if you just ignore the potential for an entertaining lord of the flies scenario where 80s kids try and survive on earth without computer assistance or makeup.. But the ridicuous Char-clone freedom fighter dude who was actually called zeon or sion or something was pretty cool, (same character designer or what??) as was the abuse of arcade game addiction to create short-lived cyborg mecha pilots plotline.. and the general floating through matrix/Blame/GITS cityscapes to the sound of trippy synthpop sequences. File under rubbish-but-beautiful? who knows, Im sure I was drunk by that point, but I liked it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
centzo:
Quote:
The first film had better songs than Macross, a more realistic worldview, and far more attractive and less annoying but otherwise identical green-haired dancer characters.

The songs in Megazone are catchy, but they're fairly disposable compared to the Macross stuff. And I don't consider a punk who can escape from everything but a guy in another mech to be all that realistic.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
centzontotochtin wrote:
Having discovered all 3 of these by accident in a bored weekend a few months ago, I think they all work in different ways (like many 'classics' they're not available in the UK, so it'll be a sad day when the internet is monitored enough to stop people like me using our weekends in this way.)

At least you guys can take to heart the Black Market channels of the internet for entertainment!

Quote:
I can see how the unnecessary but meticulous mechanical-tentacle-eyeball-guts violence in the 2nd film would annoy people, but to me it just went with the gasping at impressive detail. Seriously, if anyone knows of anything else hand-painted in the 80s without CG that is this detailed, please post in this thread; even Akira, which as far as I know was later? looked less impressive at times. Plus they raised the bar from Votoms and what I've seen of Fist of the North Star for silly-but-cool looking biker gangs, which takes some effort. Did the authorities in 80s Japan have a real problem with biker punks destroying society, or what?

It was an 80's thing in these.

Quote:
Even from a straight female viewer perspective, the girl from the first film should not have had her character design changed for the 2nd; but meh, they re-used it for the virtual idol character,

Haruhiko Mikimoto did design Eve after all, and still gets the credit or that in the second and third OVA's anyway.

Quote:
and also included girls who actually had their own bikes instead of sitting on the back of them, and had a token fat-bird who was cool instead of comedy, so who cares...

I'm reminded what a cool character she was.

Quote:
The only problem with part 2 was the ending spoiler[where all his mates who had previouly been blown to bits by mecha machine gun (one of the more moving scenes of 80s suicidal biker-punk silliness, which ended with the only survivor bleeding on the floor giving the perfectly-manicured finger to the police) turned out to be alive..] I almost felt like I was watching an alternate happy-ending that had been tacked on later., especially as the first film ended more harshly with spoiler[the main character limping home after having his ass kicked, and most of his friends either dead or gone-home-to-hide-with-parents...]

Yeah, that ending was quite weird when I first saw it, thinking exactly "how?" I guess we'll never know for sure (or perhaps EVE does). Wink

Quote:
And the third film works really well as a retro-ghost-in-the-shell, if you just ignore the potential for an entertaining lord of the flies scenario where 80s kids try and survive on earth without computer assistance or makeup.. But the ridicuous Char-clone freedom fighter dude who was actually called zeon or sion or something was pretty cool, (same character designer or what??)

No this time it was another designer for the third installment (the ADV dub makes it sound like that guy was called 'Shawn" to me).

Quote:
as was the abuse of arcade game addiction to create short-lived cyborg mecha pilots plotline.. and the general floating through matrix/Blame/GITS cityscapes to the sound of trippy synthpop sequences. File under rubbish-but-beautiful? who knows, Im sure I was drunk by that point, but I liked it.

I'm still debating whether MZ23 part III should be a Buried Treasure or Garbage at this point. I leaning towards 'garbage' myself.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:41 am Reply with quote
For some reason, there's an alternate LD opening for part 2.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
For some reason, there's an alternate LD opening for part 2.

This was actually discussed before, but it was the opening of the Japanese English-teaching LD for part 2 that used footage that was originally produced for "Robotech: The Movie".

TokyoGetter already posted a really good article on that, involving director Noboru Ishiguro, and mechanical designer Hideki Kakinuma mentioning this "International Version" they played the sequence at an event last year.
http://www.akibanana.com/?q=node/124
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:40 am Reply with quote
Bothering to update a few things here...

cool3865 wrote:
ah another good ol' 80's anime that i remember watching, now after reading this i wish i could forget about it.

I'm glad to have forgotten "Part III" ever existed!

Greboruri wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
I've just done a quick check, and it appears the UK VHS release only received a 12 rating from the BBFC. I was lead to believe it was slightly more violent than that.
The UK release actually Part 3, not Part 1. Bizarrely it also contains a 10 minute prologue created by Manga Video using footage from Part 3 which contains the back story of Megazone 23, some of it seemingly straight out of the mind of the dub script writer.

Still you have to give the guy credit for trying. At least they tried to bring people up to speed on this since they knew people that may buy/rent this might have no idea what happened before if they hadn't seen the first two films anyway, not that it matters since the third film is garbage anyway.

Which brings me to the update of noticing someone stuck up both the "International version" of MZ23 Part II and the Manga Video dub of MG23 Part III right now on YouTube. It might be worth checking both out, though the Part II dub is take from the PS3 game release (part of some limited edition release) and has been edited of the violence and sex scene that was there before, most speculate due to the CERO A-rating the game had anyway. Sad, but for those who had still kept a hold onto those LD's or VHS copies, just be thankful it's better than nothing.

By the way, I noticed it's already the 25th anniversary of the first Megazone film, yet I haven't seen much of a peep about it coming out of Japan at all, oh well, I guess they've moved on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3