• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vertical licensing Poll

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

I don't think there are any light novels for Natsume. If there are, then they are adapted from the manga, which is the original source material[...]

I remember GokuMew2 commenting on it but perhaps it was a manga only thing; I'm three volumes behind in Viz English releases.

Lys wrote:
I'm pretty sure Ed has said that Hakusensha is possible. And Kodasha should be okay too (see Chi's Sweet Home, GTO, Limit, Flowers of Evil, Sakuran, Drops of God...).

Three of which I actually own; smooth move on my part. >/////>

I'm actually surprised since quite a few Hakusensha manga (Hana-Kimi, Skip Beat, Please Save My Earth, etc) are under the Shojo Beat label.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Hakusensha doesn't partner with any one publisher specifically, so you see their stuff all over the place, most notably with Viz's Shojo Beat line (Ouran, Vampire Knight, most Kaori Yuki books, etc.). They also had a lot of titles with Tokyopop and CMX, but, well...

Sword Art Online is one I would be interested in seeing! It's with ASCII Media Works. I was super impressed by the first episode of the anime, and I'm planning to watch the rest soon. Knowing me, I'd probably love the manga as well. It appears that there's actually a few different manga series, but the first, Sword Art Online: Aincrad, finished with 2 volumes. There's also a 4-koma series and a new one, Sword Art Online: Fairy Dance, that started last May.

Add me to the list of people who want more Moyoco Anno, but I'm a little conflicted. I loved Sugar Sugar Rune and Sakuran, but I really didn't like either Flowers & Bees or Happy Mania... I guess she's hit and miss for me, or maybe I'm just partial to her newer stuff? (And honestly, if we're going Josei, I would rather have Kuragehime... >_>)

Last edited by ZepysGirl on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Are Kadokawa light novels off limits?

I would love to read Ryohgo Narita's stuff. Also Story of Saiunkoku by Sai Yukino.

I noticed you were asking about light novels in your survey, and these are ones I've been dying to read for a long time. ebook would be ideal for light novels, IMO.

I was wondering about this as well. It's not hard for me to come up with three unlicensed manga titles that I really want, but there are a couple LN series that I'm dying to read!
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
The main thing I used the poll for was to give Vertical my opinion on E books which is as follows:

No physical copy, no purchase.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
stove top stuffing wrote:
The main thing I used the poll for was to give Vertical my opinion on E books which is as follows:

No physical copy, no purchase.

Which is definitely understandable. If I weren't constrained for space, a physical copy would be preferable, hands-down.

I'm of the crowd that prefers digital copies, but largely because of current life circumstances, and I would definitely check out more Vertical properties were they available digitally. Titles are also far more *available* if they're available digitally, because there isn't (often limited) print runs to worry about.

Having both be available is the best way to go, as it will keep both groups happy.

...I'd like to participate in the latest poll, but I haven't kept up with any of the overseas releases in years, so I flat-out don't know what to list. Every title I used to follow was either picked up by a publisher or is outside of Vertical's criteria.
spoiler[I will forever dream of an English release of Yokohama Shopping Log]
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
I usually prefer physical copies of manga, but with books that are mostly text, like novels, I like digital.

Shelf space is becoming a premium in my house. My android tablet doesn't take up much space and I like the way I can enlarge the text for novels.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
I won't purchase things without a physical copy, but now that things like Twin Spica are out of print, I'd hope for a digital release for those poor people who missed out on vol 11 or something. Yes, Ed was awesome enough to give us a good half year's advance on it going OOP, but some people might not discover the series for a few years down the road yet (due to not currently being into manga or something), and a digital version would be awesome for them.
Of course, I also have no usable form of e-reader yet. Or even a blu-ray player, my house is behind on technology. So yeah, I need the physical books.

I couldn't think of three exact titles as I don't seem to do scan reading as much these days and Shin Angyo Onshi is 17 volumes long, so I basically went with "more Tezuka and year 24 group manga" because damn if I won't always put down money for them. And my extreme fear of them going OOP (due to shooting myself in the foot waiting with buying Swallowing the Earth, which to be fair I found mostly mediocre, but damn if Tezuka's name wasn't on it) means I generally do it within 6 months of a release.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:48 am Reply with quote
I stay away from digital because the whole thing is rather inconvenient when you live outside the US, don't have a creditcard and aren't a big fan of gadgets. Regular manga releases are easy enough to find though, so I prefer those.

As for titles, Princess Jellyfish was my first choice, but I had difficulty coming up with more. In the end I went with 'more josei, please' and Breath of Fire. It's recent (2007-2009), completed in only five volumes and the publisher isn't on the big 'NO' list. It's also based on a videogame (but can be read without everhaving touched a controller since it's a proper adaptation of the story), but who knows, it might actually happen.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

I don't think there are any light novels for Natsume. If there are, then they are adapted from the manga, which is the original source material.

There is a novel with original stories written by the anime screenwriter and art by Midorikawa . It just came out this past month.

I highly doubt Viz will license it over here though. I sadly never see Natsume on the top of US sales charts.

I bought it for the art work since I won't be able to read it.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
In the end I went with 'more josei, please' and Breath of Fire. It's recent (2007-2009), completed in only five volumes and the publisher isn't on the big 'NO' list. It's also based on a videogame (but can be read without ever having touched a controller since it's a proper adaptation of the story), but who knows, it might actually happen.

Hey I went with the Breath of Fire IV manga, too! Cool to see some love for BoF, and the BoF IV manga is really the only one that can happen, since the ones based on the earlier entries ran in Shonen Jump, so they are definitely on the "NO" list.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Glad I'm not the only one, because I was starting to feel a bit silly for requesting a manga based on a rather obscure videogame from 2000 (despite it being a solid title in its own right) Anime smile + sweatdrop
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Id buy YKK if it were published, looks like an interesting manga.
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in seeing Franken Fran and Oyasumi Punpun make it Stateside.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
MadShadow42 wrote:
I'm interested in seeing Franken Fran and Oyasumi Punpun make it Stateside.

Neither is possible for us...

Franken Fran is from Akita Shoten
Pun Pun is from Shogakukan

Both publishers do not work with us under normal circumstances.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
are bandai still squatting on nichijou? thats a series id grab if it were available

No idea... But I am not interested. Comedy is just not something I wanna deal with from a translation perspective.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 24